If you miss the removable battery, the power bank is a good alternative.

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
... the power bank is a good alternative. You will be able to use the phone while it is being charged.
I have a 4 year old 10,000 mAh power bank and it charges my V30 from 15% to 100% in just 2 hours. Newer power banks with higher output should do better.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
... the power bank is a good alternative. You will be able to use the phone while it is being charged.
I have a 4 year old 10,000 mAh power bank and it charges my V30 from 15% to 100% in just 2 hours. Newer power banks with higher output should do better.
Agreed....power banks are a great alternative especially if you have a power bank that supports quick charge.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Dang.. imagine how bulky and huge that is.. plus 2 hours plugged in via USB cable.. kinda inconvenient if you ask me. But my problem is longevity.. probably 2 years maximum before needing to buy a new phone because of dying battery. Plus most power banks are made of hard metal.. the metal will scratch and damage your phone if you put it together...

Last edited:

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Dang.. imagine how bulky and huge that is.. plus 2 hours plugged in via USB cable.. kinda inconvenient if you ask me. But my problem is longevity.. probably 2 years maximum before needing to buy a new phone because of dying battery.

So what would you do if your non-removable battery is depleted, you have no wall charger around & you really need to use your phone?
Today power banks use Quick charge 3.0, have a capacity of up to 30,000 mAh, so can charge 6 times a V20 or V30 before they need recharging.

I don't think a phone dies when the battery dies. Non-removable batteries can be safely replaced at a service center.

A good battery should last more than 2 years. My 4 year old Samsung Note 2 still works correctly with the original battery

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I hate not having a removable battery. And I hate taking steps to retain the health of my non removable battery. I treat 40% as if its 0% and I stop charging it at 80% during the day. Only overnight do I charge it beyond 80% unless it's in the car mount. I have a QC3.0 powerbank 10,000mAh and an external battery case.

But the V30 is much better on battery than V20.

Last edited:

DsM

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Samsung makes loads of phones. What keeps them offering just ONE model with a replaceable battery?Baffling. Give customers a chance to demonstrate if such a device has an audience. Or just follow Apple...

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Samsung makes loads of phones. What keeps them offering just ONE model with a replaceable battery?Baffling. Give customers a chance to demonstrate if such a device has an audience. Or just follow Apple...
It's because we as consumers did not demand this feature. We get what we ask for.

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I hate not having a removable battery. And I hate taking steps to retain the health of my non removable battery. I treat 40% as if its 0% and I stop charging it at 80% during the day. Only overnight do I charge it beyond 80% unless it's in the car mount. I have a QC3.0 powerbank 10,000mAh and an external battery case.

The big advantage of a sealed battery is the phone is waterproof. Btw my V20 was damaged by water.

I also read that to keep it in good health, a battery should not be left too depleted nor fully charged. In this case a wireless charger is a good option to monitor the amount to charge a battery.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Great advice which I try to follow to increase the longentivity of the battery. Not charging to 100% overnight is the biggest challenge. To reach the same objective, I avoid QC, and also wireless charging which heats up the internal battery.

And you don't necessarily need a heavier 10,000mAh battery pack. A 3000mAh battery will accomplish about the same thing for everyday use. I have a smaller battery pack as a backup, and not a great investment yet. Only used it a handful of times.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Dang.. imagine how bulky and huge that is.. plus 2 hours plugged in via USB cable.. kinda inconvenient if you ask me.

I have a 12000mah power bank that's smaller than my wallet. With the power conversion it's giving, It's good enough for 2 full charges of my phone plus 1 full charge of my Bluetooth headset. 1f I need a charge, I either put the phone in my bag or have the cord running from my bag to my pocket. Not much difference from a headset cord if you ask me.

One of the ports on my powerbank has a 2.1A output. Most of the time, if I plug in before I start eating, the phone is full by the time I'm full. Lol.

For comparison here's an S3

5a8fb9a0a66d767f97341cd0fddf62e6.jpg

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Samsung has offered removable batteries for ages. They started a trickle down actually. Only flagships first, then the mid rangers... From what I'm seeing in my country at least, their sealed phones are selling better than the removable ones. The only models left removable are the J5 and below.

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Not charging to 100% overnight is the biggest challenge

One thing you can do is to charge the phone via a timer socket. You can set the timer to say one hour and charging will stop after that time. By practice you will know what time to set for the battery to get 80 or 90% charge.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So what would you do if your non-removable battery is depleted, you have no wall charger around & you really need to use your phone?
Today power banks use Quick charge 3.0, have a capacity of up to 30,000 mAh, so can charge 6 times a V20 or V30 before they need recharging.

I don't think a phone dies when the battery dies. Non-removable batteries can be safely replaced at a service center.

A good battery should last more than 2 years. My 4 year old Samsung Note 2 still works correctly with the original battery

My Samsung Galaxy S6 Active (3500 mAh) stop holding a charge after 8 months of fast charging via wireless charger. Phone was good as junk. Removable battery means you can continually use the phone throughout its life, possibly forever.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a 12000mah power bank that's smaller than my wallet. With the power conversion it's giving, It's good enough for 2 full charges of my phone plus 1 full charge of my Bluetooth headset. 1f I need a charge, I either put the phone in my bag or have the cord running from my bag to my pocket. Not much difference from a headset cord if you ask me.

One of the ports on my powerbank has a 2.1A output. Most of the time, if I plug in before I start eating, the phone is full by the time I'm full. Lol.

For comparison here's an S3

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180204/5a8fb9a0a66d767f97341cd0fddf62e6.jpg

Gonna look ridiculous with a wire hanging in your pocket. Removable battery is slim.. but the best thing is not needing to wait. That thing still looks huge.. what if the 10,000 mAh caught fire? That's a dangerous situation my friend. Imagine an M-80.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The big advantage of a sealed battery is the phone is waterproof. Btw my V20 was damaged by water.

I also read that to keep it in good health, a battery should not be left too depleted nor fully charged. In this case a wireless charger is a good option to monitor the amount to charge a battery.

I've owned waterproof phones.. still don't trust submerging my phone's in water or expose it to sand. You still CANNOT submerge in SALTWATER or CHLORINE.. it will damage the metal parts and it will start rusting very fast. Sand will damage the glass.A waterproof bag lock will solve your problem.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Gonna look ridiculous with a wire hanging in your pocket. Removable battery is slim.. but the best thing is not needing to wait.
Not really when a lot of people are doing that. It's more the norm here. Some of the best selling bags here have a feature of a built in power bank and usb port where the cord runs to your pocket. It may look ridiculous to you but I call that culture barrier.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Snapdragon 835 is indeed much more power efficient. Give it 1-2 years. The V20 will outlast it with a fresh battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol