Some advice from all you V30 owners, please

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I've had the Note 5 with AT&T for a year and a half now and I'm starting to desire an upgrade. I was originally thinking of upgrading to the S8 but not since Samsung forced their curved screen on all of us. Not really a fan of curved screens. I was hoping the Note 8 would be awesome, but unfortunately it's just a repackaged S8 with a pen.

I've had my eye on the V30 since it was first announced and the phone has intrigued me.

So ... I've read a ton of reviews, watched some videos, but now I want to hear from all you V30 owners - is this really a decent contender to upgrade to from my Note 5?

I thank all of you ahead of time for any input you give me.

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I've had the Note 5 with AT&T for a year and a half now and I'm starting to desire an upgrade. I was originally thinking of upgrading to the S8 but not since Samsung forced their curved screen on all of us. Not really a fan of curved screens. I was hoping the Note 8 would be awesome, but unfortunately it's just a repackaged S8 with a pen.

I've had my eye on the V30 since it was first announced and the phone has intrigued me.

So ... I've read a ton of reviews, watched some videos, but now I want to hear from all you V30 owners - is this really a decent contender to upgrade to from my Note 5?

I thank all of you ahead of time for any input you give me.
Im a long time samsung user, i switched to v30 for it's amazing DAC, and because the form of new Note didnt appeal to me.

Honestly the biggest changes for me were:

Adjusting to the less saturated screen. Samsung is hard to beat in screen beauty. But I'm now used to the LG screen, and am noticing certain small details that look better on a less saturated screen. For example certain logos on YouTube videos, for instance the CG Bros logo, on the short CGI films that CG Bros makes is ultra detailed. Another logo that has concentric circles in it that get smaller the closer they get to the center is entirely visible even down to the last inner lines. It's quite amazing.

The battery life is greatly improved going from samsung to v30+. It's like night and day. With samsung you need apps and full time babysitting of the battery, with v30+ you dont even need to look at battery anymore. I come home after 12 hours work day of light use except when on breaks, with 80% percent battery.

The headphone jack on this and other LG devices is without question the best of any smartphone I'm told. It sure sounds like it.

Imo the camera on Samsung devices was better because I could just point and shoot on automatic mode and gets stunning pictures almost every time and I can't get good pictures really at all with the v30 but I have seen many many photos that people have taken with the v30 that are stunning so it looks like I just don't know how to do it yet.

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Came from an S7 and this phone is better in every single way:
Screen clarity
Screen size that still allows you one handed typing
Speed of interface and the more vanilla version of Android
BATTERY LIFE
Camera
Customization
That beautiful sounding QUAD DAC finally letting my headphones perform the way they're intended.

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
For me, if you need a wide angle camera with practically no barrel distortion, this by itself is a reason to upgrade.

If I am right, the Note 5 comes with 32 GB internal storage & no SD card. The V30 comes with 64 GB internal storage (128 for the v30+) & SD card up to 2 TB

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Battery is a big thing for me, Bluetooth for BT headset (have some small headsets and a Bose QC35), nice screen, smooth operation. Does the V30 have that always on display, like the S7 has? That would be a nice feature.

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Battery is a big thing for me, Bluetooth for BT headset (have some small headsets and a Bose QC35), nice screen, smooth operation. Does the V30 have that always on display, like the S7 has? That would be a nice feature.

Yes, when the display is off, we see the clock, date & battery level

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Not only does it have an always on display, but it's customizable for brightness and has 9 different layouts.

38c99e93e295d5230e18667936aa059b.jpg
771c7db55d1e845d0576cacc2e541138.jpg

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
How much would always on display hurt battery life? I leave mine off and just double tap when I want to see if theres notifications.
Negligible impact. Leave it on cause it gives you access to the quick toggles and media controls.

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. So what's everyone's daily use - battery wise?

At this point I can fully charge the Note, but usually by the end of the day it's getting low, and a lot of times I haven't done much on it. Phone is only a year and a half old.

I've also read that the OLED screen of the V30 isn't the greatest.

Last edited:

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
No its a wonderful screen. I set YouTube to automatically choose highest available quality and it's stunning. Coming from samsung initially it feels like a stepdown in color and contrast, not in sharpness or detail retrieval. I think you will find more detail in things on the v30 screen than on your Note.

Again battery on v30 is legendary. Its the only.time ive seen a phone where I can check battery level. Come back 30 minutes later and check it again and it's om the same number it was half an hour before. It barely sips battery. Although I don't use always on display yet, I'll try it but I dont need it.

All of my previous Samsung devices drained battery even in idle mode.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. So what's everyone's daily use - battery wise?

At this point I can fully charge the Note, but usually by the end of the day it's getting low, and a lot of times I haven't done much on it. Phone is only a year and a half old.

I have all the V phones. V10 gets screen retention but it takes longer to set in and longer to disappear. V20 gets screen retention a bit more easily but goes away more quickly. V30 is still too early to tell if and how bad they could burn in, but it has the benefits of the blacks behind entirely black and will always look better when compared to IPS. I do notice a bit of blue shift as others are complaining about, but I prefer to look directly at my screen instead of having it angled away anyway

Ldshark

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
get this phone!I have tested many phones from all manufacturers and hands down besides the Google pixel xl2 I would say this so far has been the best phone I have ever had. sound quality is amazing display is amazing. Battery life speaks for itself. I am a power user and I still consistently get 12-15hrs. if I am not using it I have had it last 2 days before needing a charge. has lte gig capabilities and wifi is the fastest I have seen on a phone yet

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with the OLED display on the V30 on most units. The display is more accurate than the Note 8 and the shift issues are noticeable on most devices.
Ive yet to see anything resembling a color shift on a v30+. Maybe I got lucky but mine does not have it.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
The screen on the V30 was totally blown out or proportion. All the early reviews were done on pre-production units with issues. I have no issues with the screen on mine and I had a Galaxy S7 edge (which I hated the curved screen on) which is supposed to have the best screen at the time it came out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca