LG V30+ Heating Issues?

aderoks

Feb 20, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I just bought the V30+ from Amazon and it was delivered to me yesterday. By a cursory inspection, it didn't seem that it was used and I used the Google back up to install all my pre-existing apps on the old phone. However, while they were installing, I found that the back as heating up considerably, especially the strip between the lenses and the fingerprint sensor. I mean I have heard so much about this phone keeping its cool through anything which you may throw at it. So is this normal? Also, while browsing the forum, I found that people are claiming that the mobile discharges 2% after 2 hours. However, mine discharged 10-12% in the same duration. Should I be concerned? Also, as I had seen in many reviews, the display changes tint with slight tilts also. I have changed it to eye comfort mode, so now everything is orangish and it's not noticeable that much. But is that also a problem with only some sets and not in others? While charging, the display sometimes starts waking up after regular intervals. Is this also a concern?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's not unusual for a phone to get pretty warm during the initial setup, because you're using a lot of CPU power to install and update numerous apps. If the phone doesn't heat up like that during normal usage, I wouldn't be worried about that issue.

The battery discharge rate depends on a lot of factors. How's your cell signal strength? Poor signal is a common culprit for battery drain. Also, was the phone advertised as New or Used/Refurbished? If the latter, then you don't really know what kind of usage the battery has gone through. Even though the phone was released in August, it's conceivable to degrade a battery significantly (e.g., with frequent deep discharges) over the span of only 6 months.

The tint change with viewing angle is common with OLED displays -- that was most notably pointed out (and overblown/overhyped) on the Pixel 2 XL recently, but it's visible on many other phones, including the iPhone X. For most people, the tint change is minimal -- if yours is grossly pronounced, consider returning it to Amazon, or contacting LG for warranty repair/replacement (if the warranty is valid).

When the display wakes while charging, does it coincide with new notifications?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I just bought the V30+ from Amazon and it was delivered to me yesterday. By a cursory inspection, it didn't seem that it was used and I used the Google back up to install all my pre-existing apps on the old phone. However, while they were installing, I found that the back as heating up considerably, especially the strip between the lenses and the fingerprint sensor. I mean I have heard so much about this phone keeping its cool through anything which you may throw at it. So is this normal? Also, while browsing the forum, I found that people are claiming that the mobile discharges 2% after 2 hours. However, mine discharged 10-12% in the same duration. Should I be concerned? Also, as I had seen in many reviews, the display changes tint with slight tilts also. I have changed it to eye comfort mode, so now everything is orangish and it's not noticeable that much. But is that also a problem with only some sets and not in others? While charging, the display sometimes starts waking up after regular intervals. Is this also a concern?

Was the blue tint noticeable before you changed modes?

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
The phone is downloading a large amount of data and installing a lot of apps during that initial setup. Give it a day to settle down, then it sips battery. in the last 1 day 16 hours used I've used 64% with almost 4 hours of screen time (with the V30 not the +).

aderoks

Feb 20, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

First of all, thanks a lot to all of you for the detailed responses. Amazon didn't explicitly state that this is refurbished, so I'm assuming it is a brand new set. However, from December, when the phone first went on sale here in India, people were complaining of signs of the phone having been previously being used like the name of the device being "Jane" and not "V30+" as is default. I had no such signs or any wear and tear on the front or back. So I can reasonably assume that this is new.

The blue tint was noticeable before I changed modes, which is why I had to change it. And yes, even a slight tilt causes part of the screen to change colour. But as you say, this is a common phenomenon in OLED displays, and yes, I know it's pronounced in mine, but while watching videos or pics, it isn't noticeable that much. Maybe I would grow accustomed to it and learn to live with it, since going through the replacement procedure with Amazon is a pain in itself as I have experience of it!!

I still haven't inserted a SIM in it and started using it as my daily driver, as I first want to layer it with protection front and back, and only then would I take it outside the house!! So signal strength is not the issue. I am just connecting it to the home wifi and using it to just watch videos or browse the net. So the dip in battery is all due to the processes going on inside it.

The intermittent waking up is not regular. For some charging sessions, it does not do that, while at other times, it's doing that. I would have to charge it some more times to get a pattern. I see your point, though, as I had set it on charge while the setup was going on and the waking could have been just due to an installation being completed. I would have to ask though: does this phone have such a feature where it would chirp and wake up constantly until you viewed a new notification?

Lastly, let me take your advice and use it for some more days before judging on its battery life since with this sporadic use, (i.e. I just use it for some time before leaving for work and then after coming back from work), the battery is still at 65% after 2 days (it arrived the day before yesterday when I charged it to 100%), and seems pretty solid.