Galaxy S9 audio may beat V30

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I just read that the S9 will have 24bit and DSD support with dolby atmos. It would be great if we could get it in a future LG update.

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Not in the headphone jack. Unless Samsung adds a great DAC. With good headphones the v30 is like hearing a high- end DAP.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
With good headphones the v30 is like hearing a high- end DAP.

Hmmm... I had two V20’s (both colors simultaneously) and while they did have a nice clarity to them they I recall them never approaching the dynamics or power of my mid-to-better headphone amps (a Burson HA-160D/Sennheiser HD-595 combo is a favorite of mine). I’d like to listen to a V20 again and a V30. I will definitely say the V20 sounded a bit better than any other phones I’ve heard (and that’d be a lot) and they likely sound better than what many people hear from phones but I wonder if it truly sounds like a “high- end DAP”.

I’m going to go with “The V20 sounds very nice and clear for a phone using good headphones.” Perhaps the V30 sounds even better.

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Hmmm... I had two V20’s (both colors simultaneously) and while they did have a nice clarity to them they I recall them never approaching the dynamics or power of my mid-to-better headphone amps (a Burson HA-160D/Sennheiser HD-595 combo is a favorite of mine). I’d like to listen to a V20 again and a V30. I will definitely say the V20 sounded a bit better than any other phones I’ve heard (and that’d be a lot) and they likely sound better than what many people hear from phones but I wonder if it truly sounds like a “high- end DAP”.

I’m going to go with “The V20 sounds very nice and clear for a phone using good headphones.” Perhaps the V30 sounds even better.
Well, it's interesting. You may be right. I probably mispoke when saying high-end DAP if that includes something like Astell & Kern products.

I own a Sony HPA -1A headphone amp that I always tethered to my Galaxy S6 Edge phone to get quite good dynamic sound streaming from Amazon Music and Spotify. A huge improvement over listening just out of the phone on its own.

I've heard that the V20 and v30 DAC is the same but I'm not sure. I have the V30+.

To me, I think the sound is as refined from the quad DAC, as the sound was using the Sony amp. I don't use the amp anymore I feel satisfied that I'm getting great sound just plugged right into the phone using mid-fi headphones like PSB -M4u2, Grado 325e and Philips SHP-9500.

I have not A/B the use of external amp/DAC to just using the v30 headphone jack, but I recall quite well the sound I got when using the headphone amp with Galaxy phone and it sounds just as good on the test tracks I use listening for certain moments.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I’m torn between getting a V30 (for its audio prowess), a Note 8, or an s9+. Already have iPhone Xes and a Mate 9 but I want a new gizmo.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I’m torn between getting a V30 (for its audio prowess), a Note 8, or an s9+. Already have iPhone Xes and a Mate 9 but I want a new gizmo.

Ditch the iPhone X. Total waste of hard earned cash. Get the galaxy s9+. It'll be a complete device. However, I've got the V30 and I'm head over heals in love with it. I've had it since launch. No issues whatsoever. I only miss the Dolby Atmos for watching encoded movies. So, if you can live without Dolby, then get the V30.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Ditch the iPhone X. Total waste of hard earned cash. Get the galaxy s9+. It'll be a complete device. However, I've got the V30 and I'm head over heals in love with it. I've had it since launch. No issues whatsoever. I only miss the Dolby Atmos for watching encoded movies. So, if you can live without Dolby, then get the V30.

I, like many others, like my iPhone Xes just fine but am considering one of the aforementioned devices as a tertiary unit.

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I don't know if this helps you but, after owning the v30 for 3 months, I ask myself do I want this as a daily driver smartphone?

The audio is amazing, but i only listen at home, and I'm out and about for 13 hours per day.

I THINK I'd rather own the v30+ as an 800$ android DAP and just miss the insane battery life and ergonomic feel of the phone. It feels so great in the hand. It's thin from from to back, lightweight, and wide horizontally. And it has a dedicated screenshot button. And volume control has 100 volume clicks so u can really get the right volume for the moment.

But during the day I need good texting and camera, which are the two features I hate most about the v30.
I've never had such trouble typing. I can't get haptic feedback to work and LG board and Gboard are out of
The question.
Only Grammarly keyboard can come close to fixing the amount of stuck together words and mis-hits I've already made in this post.

Texting = nightmare on my v30, and I've heard two others on this forum say the same. No haptic feedback from the keyboard is so lame. Note 8 has WONDERFUL feedback from each button hit.

My only doubt is do I really want to go back to the disgraceful Samsung battery experience. With the v30 battery life is solved. No more battery attention is needed. Move on.

Samsung has better UI, better texting imo, better split screen, better camera in auto-mode, wonderful edge panel interaction, double tap home button for camera.

But you need a full time baby sitter, apps and chargers to deal with that battery.

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. The nice thing about my iPhones is that what is supposed to work works well. They may feel boring sometimes, I admit, but I can just take everything for granted. They work well for me across the board. I still like to have Android devices to tinker with though.

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. The nice thing about my iPhones is that what is supposed to work works well. They may feel boring sometimes, I admit, but I can just take everything for granted. They work well for me across the board. I still like to have Android devices to tinker with though.
Ye iPhone is unbeatable in a few select categories. My gf has always had iPhones now on the iPhone 7 plus. Best camera I've seen, perfect haptics, loud speakers and a cool feature that allows you to use the keyboard as a mousepad to easily get between letters when editing text.

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this helps you but, after owning the v30 for 3 months, I ask myself do I want this as a daily driver smartphone?

The audio is amazing, but i only listen at home, and I'm out and about for 13 hours per day.

I THINK I'd rather own the v30+ as an 800$ android DAP and just miss the insane battery life and ergonomic feel of the phone. It feels so great in the hand. It's thin from from to back, lightweight, and wide horizontally. And it has a dedicated screenshot button. And volume control has 100 volume clicks so u can really get the right volume for the moment.

But during the day I need good texting and camera, which are the two features I hate most about the v30.
I've never had such trouble typing. I can't get haptic feedback to work and LG board and Gboard are out of
The question.
Only Grammarly keyboard can come close to fixing the amount of stuck together words and mis-hits I've already made in this post.

Texting = nightmare on my v30, and I've heard two others on this forum say the same. No haptic feedback from the keyboard is so lame. Note 8 has WONDERFUL feedback from each button hit.

My only doubt is do I really want to go back to the disgraceful Samsung battery experience. With the v30 battery life is solved. No more battery attention is needed. Move on.

Samsung has better UI, better texting imo, better split screen, better camera in auto-mode, wonderful edge panel interaction, double tap home button for camera.

But you need a full time baby sitter, apps and chargers to deal with that battery.

SwiftKey keyboard, you can turn on vibration by hitting the 3 horizontal bars on the keyboard to access the SwiftKey menu. Then follow the screenshots:

Attachments

• 54210.jpg
    54210.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 79

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
You can also resize the keyboard. I found with the default medium, I kept hitting the wrong keys. I moved it up to large and it has pretty much eliminated my errors.

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
You can also resize the keyboard. I found with the default medium, I kept hitting the wrong keys. I moved it up to large and it has pretty much eliminated my errors.
OK thanks thunder18, will try the resize tomorrow. Now I followed the screens hit and still no haptics on keyboard. LG tech support thinks it may be an actual defect on this device.

Are you guys getting normal fine haptics on keyboards in LG v30?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

The closest you can get to iPhone on Android is Pixel.... Just my opinion.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan