Floating dock complaint

thunder18

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I previously had the V20. One thing I really miss on the floating dock is the widgets that were available on the V20s second screen. I'm actually kind of annoyed they aren't available on the floating dock. For example, on the V20, I could toggle Bluetooth on from the 2nd screen and it would not cause the Bluetooth pop-up menu to come up and start searching for devices. Accessing it from the pull-down menu would activate the pop-up. Only the 2nd screen would prevent that. I just wish the floating bar had radio toggles available outside of the always on display.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I previously had the V20. One thing I really miss on the floating dock is the widgets that were available on the V20s second screen. I'm actually kind of annoyed they aren't available on the floating dock. For example, on the V20, I could toggle Bluetooth on from the 2nd screen and it would not cause the Bluetooth pop-up menu to come up and start searching for devices. Accessing it from the pull-down menu would activate the pop-up. Only the 2nd screen would prevent that. I just wish the floating bar had radio toggles available outside of the always on display.
It would be redundant to have the quick settings toggles on the floating bar.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
It would be redundant to have the quick settings toggles on the floating bar.
It was very useful on the V20. No pull down menu. Just tap the icon. But what I miss from the second screen that isn't on the floating bar is the recent apps. I used that all the time.

So I just don't even bother with the floating bar.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
It was very useful on the V20. No pull down menu. Just tap the icon. But what I miss from the second screen that isn't on the floating bar is the recent apps. I used that all the time.

So I just don't even bother with the floating bar.

It was useful on the V20 because you didn't have to press a button to access it. It was just always there.

I never used the recent apps on the second screen. Much easier to just tap the recent button and choose an app than it was to awkwardly maneuver a finger to tap the second screen.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
It was useful on the V20 because you didn't have to press a button to access it. It was just always there.

I never used the recent apps on the second screen. Much easier to just tap the recent button and choose an app than it was to awkwardly maneuver a finger to tap the second screen.
Yeah the second screen allowed one button tap to immediately switch to any of the 5 recent running apps. Much faster than tapping the square then scrolling to find the app then tapping again. And the double tap square to switch between last two apps was often too laggy to even register the double tap. It's my 8 year old daughter's phone now.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the second screen allowed one button tap to immediately switch to any of the 5 recent running apps. Much faster than tapping the square then scrolling to find the app then tapping again. And the double tap square to switch between last two apps was often too laggy to even register the double tap. It's my 8 year old daughter's phone now.

It's only much faster if you use your phone with two hands.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
What's the difference between that and using android auto? My phone is up high on the dash. With as long a commute as I have sometimes time sensitive messages have to be managed.

christobal

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I had my V10 for a little over 2 years and didn't really get used to using the second screen until the last 6 months. NOW, I miss it a great deal. I'm trying to get used the the floating bar right out of the box, but no matter where I put it, it ultimately gets in the way of other apps.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I had my V10 for a little over 2 years and didn't really get used to using the second screen until the last 6 months. NOW, I miss it a great deal. I'm trying to get used the the floating bar right out of the box, but no matter where I put it, it ultimately gets in the way of other apps.
Put it towards the top under the action bar? I keep mine in the middle of the screen and it very rarely gets in the way of anything and, if it does, it can quickly be moved. I only wish you could adjust the transparency and color.

As for second screen use, in the year and a half I had the V20, I pretty much only used the second screen to take screen shots, toggle flashlight, or launch my calculator or camera. Occasionally I'd use the volume toggle, but my volume levels are automated so it was mostly unnecessary.

The second screen would have been far more useful on a smaller phone. It was just too high to be useful casually and quickly unless you just always have two hands on a phone. I use my phone primarily one handed unless I'm typing so it just wasn't as useful as it could be.

It was good for wait it was, but it definitely isn't missed. LG could have done better in terms of functionality. For example, it's disabled if you're using a full screen app (except for the time) and the options for quick settings toggles was too limited (I wanted rotation).