best headphones for V30?

balama

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
what's headphones take advantage of the LG V30 DAC te best?
I've tried the following so far: in latest order

Beyerdynamic 770PRO 250 ohm
Mass Drop Sennheiser 6XXX
ATH 40X
Monolith 560
Fostex T50RP MKIII

didn't seem like the V30 could drive the 250 ohm 770 Pros as mentioned by one reviewer.

I'm looking to replace carrying around my cowon plenue and fiio x3 2nd gen players with a separate power amp along with my phone and just use my phone as an audioplayer for my HD flac/DSD rips.

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Yes it's pretty cool. I have the v30+.

I've used a Sony PHA-1A Amp with my PSB M4U2 and Grado 325e headphones to get really good mid-fi level sound for a couple of years now but found the tethering and lugging around so annoying, buzz kill to the sound experience.

Now I can just plug right into phone for a level of sound very similar to that.

How did the v30 do with the HD6xx and the Monolith? I'm Wondering if the v30 could drive HE400i or Grado RS2e or even GS2000e.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

ATH 40X
Monolith 560
Fostex T50RP MKIII

didn't seem like the V30 could drive the 250 ohm 770 Pros as mentioned by one reviewer.

I'm looking to replace carrying around my cowon plenue and fiio x3 2nd gen players with a separate power amp along with my phone and just use my phone as an audioplayer for my HD flac/DSD rips.

I use the AT ATH 50X WHEN HOME, AND THE KLIPSCH xr8i when on the go.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I really enjoy the senn hd599. Much better than ath m50x.
Of course. The Senn is a better headphone (IMO). I have Senn 595s (that I got in 2006) and 650s (amongst a slew of others) and my 595s are not only the most comfortable set I have but they sound great too. I would imagine the 599s only sound better.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

ATH 40X
Monolith 560
Fostex T50RP MKIII

The ATH m40x already sounds good. Anything better would be overkill. If you really want good sound, I recommend the Mackie MR5 MKII studio speakers with a subwoofer attached, you will be blown away! With a HiFi FLAC or 320kbps MP3 plus the V30's DAC... you will get almost live performance quality.

balama

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
i picked up the massdrop nuforce edc and edc3
does anyone know about the soundmagic E80C?
some other forums have pointed to that earbud match for the V30 DAC

Also what about the RHA T10i or Sennheiser IE 800S?
although a grand for IEMs for a phone sounds overkill

I might take a look at the HD598 since my 6XXX are open backs and not good for commuting.

And as far as the rec on the Mackie MR5 MKII. How do they compare to the Micca PBA42V with built in amp?

Also how does the quad DAC in the v30 compare to the Wolfson DAC on the iPod 5.5 or Blackberry Playbook?

starrynighthn

Mar 9, 2018
Visit site
i picked up the massdrop nuforce edc and edc3
does anyone know about the soundmagic E80C?
some other forums have pointed to that earbud match for the V30 DAC

Also what about the RHA T10i or Sennheiser IE 800S?
although a grand for IEMs for a phone sounds overkill

I might take a look at the HD598 since my 6XXX are open backs and not good for commuting.

And as far as the rec on the Mackie MR5 MKII. How do they compare to the Micca PBA42V with built in amp?

Also how does the quad DAC in the v30 compare to the Wolfson DAC on the iPod 5.5 or Blackberry Playbook?

I bought SoundMagic E80s (~$60). It has 64 ohm impedance so it always trigger HIM.

balama

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
okay found it
VE Monk Plus earbuds
$11 on Amazon used to be $5
The VE Zen to move up to 300+ ohms but over $100
pretty f'n eye opening

Tried them with my cowon Plenue and a series of amps and they seem to come alive on the v30

Still need to test the KZ ZST and K56 along with the soundmagic 80C this week
But you can't go wrong with $11 although they don't seal out the world like the Beyerdynamic 770 and ATH40Xs do
but they are so much more pocketable and way more cost effective
Blows the old legendary monoprice cheapos out of the water

Gonna try and mold some custom sugru earpieces to get them to lock in and seal out the world and see the effect of the sound

balama

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
Update
Just finish testing the following IEMs with my V30

Nuforce Massdrop EDC - $60
VE Monk Plus - $12
KZ ATR - $11
Soundmagic E80S - $50
Koss KSC75 $16

I am still waiting to test these
KS ZTE - $21
Shozy Hibiki - $63
Massdrop Nuforce EDC3 - $99

HD Tracks used include
Cassandra Wilson - Another Country
**** Hyman - Garson "Trio Blues"
Emilie-Claire Barlow - Mineiro de Caracao
Tedeschi Trucks Band - I Pity The Fool (live)
Melody Gardot - Bad News
Steve Kindler/Teja Bell - Kaimana

of the group I had high hopes for the Soundmagic since it had the best fit other than the KZ ATR.
but of the group in my opinion, the $12 VE Monk Plus still sounds the best. The Soundmagic E80s sounded way too bright even though the lows were solid. The stinging highs just everwhelmed the rest. The KZ ATR weren't bad either just a little bassy for my tastes but a good noise blocking fit like the soundmagics. The Mids on the Monk Plus makes the listening experience really enjoyable, kind of like being there. The Nuforce's sounded muddy and dampened compared to the rest of the cheaper IEMs

For the price LG should just include a set of the monks with each of their phones that have the quad DAC and they would have allot of surprised and happy clients.

At home the Massdrop Sennheiser 6xxx, and ATH M40x's would be my choice

The way the Monk comes live really makes me wonder about the Zens which are at 300+ohms versus 64ohms with the Monks but the cost is the restricting factor. I did give in to their promo of their new Monk IEs Smalls and Biggie

I'll report my experiences with these other affordable IEMs later.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Update
Just finish testing the following IEMs with my V30

Nuforce Massdrop EDC - $60
VE Monk Plus - $12
KZ ATR - $11
Soundmagic E80S - $50
Koss KSC75 $16

I am still waiting to test these
KS ZTE - $21
Shozy Hibiki - $63
Massdrop Nuforce EDC3 - $99

HD Tracks used include
Cassandra Wilson - Another Country
**** Hyman - Garson "Trio Blues"
Emilie-Claire Barlow - Mineiro de Caracao
Tedeschi Trucks Band - I Pity The Fool (live)
Melody Gardot - Bad News
Steve Kindler/Teja Bell - Kaimana

of the group I had high hopes for the Soundmagic since it had the best fit other than the KZ ATR.
but of the group in my opinion, the $12 VE Monk Plus still sounds the best. The Soundmagic E80s sounded way too bright even though the lows were solid. The stinging highs just everwhelmed the rest. The KZ ATR weren't bad either just a little bassy for my tastes but a good noise blocking fit like the soundmagics. The Mids on the Monk Plus makes the listening experience really enjoyable, kind of like being there. The Nuforce's sounded muddy and dampened compared to the rest of the cheaper IEMs

For the price LG should just include a set of the monks with each of their phones that have the quad DAC and they would have allot of surprised and happy clients.

At home the Massdrop Sennheiser 6xxx, and ATH M40x's would be my choice

The way the Monk comes live really makes me wonder about the Zens which are at 300+ohms versus 64ohms with the Monks but the cost is the restricting factor. I did give in to their promo of their new Monk IEs Smalls and Biggie

I'll report my experiences with these other affordable IEMs later.

Thanks for this. I was all set to get the SoundMagic e80c to go with the V30+, since the higher impedance triggers the DAC. My favorite audio implementation is BoomSound from HTC, but given their struggles, I don't see myself getting another HTC. Do you have experience with BoomSound? I know it's just a bit punchy with the bass. Which in-ear buds that you've tested closely replicates BoomSound-type audio in your opinion?

balama

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
since I don't have an HTC 10 I'm not sure of what effect the boomsound has on ear buds but it kind of reminds me of how my Blackberry playbooks sound when you are watching video or listening to music. I think the USB C out has potential for better audio but you'll need a special cable or phones.

so far I'll say for the V30 you can't go wrong with the VE Monk Plus's as a portable rig but they don't have any sound isolation.

I built my own custom ear molds using Shark Fin and sugru to try and help the bass on the sound magic 80's but it didn't work also tried a bunch of other tips with no success. Only if you EQ the sound can you make them sound better. I'll try a long burn in as well.

The KZ ATRs and ZST had good isolation and were a little bright and inexpensive like the Monk Plus just a little more heft to carry around compare to the Monks.

I don't really listen to rap or bass heavy music so I've never been a sony earbuds or beats fan but if you love bass and can deal with the bulk then the Beyerdynamic 770Pros 250 ohm are the ones to get along with the ATH 40X over ears. The Sennheisers are also great but they are all 1000 times the size of the Monk OPlus and almost 10-20 times the cost.

So far the Chesky 30th Anniversary album from HD tracks sounds just as great on my V30 with the monks as it does on my Fiio X3 and Cowon Plenue with a headphone amp.

Does anyone know if the V30 can play apple lossless or ALAC?

kuffcakes

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I am using Westone W40s with the V30. the sound quality is impressive. I do want to download some lossless audio files to hear the difference between those and mp3 files.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
since I don't have an HTC 10 I'm not sure of what effect the boomsound has on ear buds but it kind of reminds me of how my Blackberry playbooks sound when you are watching video or listening to music. I think the USB C out has potential for better audio but you'll need a special cable or phones.

so far I'll say for the V30 you can't go wrong with the VE Monk Plus's as a portable rig but they don't have any sound isolation.

I built my own custom ear molds using Shark Fin and sugru to try and help the bass on the sound magic 80's but it didn't work also tried a bunch of other tips with no success. Only if you EQ the sound can you make them sound better. I'll try a long burn in as well.

The KZ ATRs and ZST had good isolation and were a little bright and inexpensive like the Monk Plus just a little more heft to carry around compare to the Monks.

I don't really listen to rap or bass heavy music so I've never been a sony earbuds or beats fan but if you love bass and can deal with the bulk then the Beyerdynamic 770Pros 250 ohm are the ones to get along with the ATH 40X over ears. The Sennheisers are also great but they are all 1000 times the size of the Monk OPlus and almost 10-20 times the cost.

So far the Chesky 30th Anniversary album from HD tracks sounds just as great on my V30 with the monks as it does on my Fiio X3 and Cowon Plenue with a headphone amp.

Does anyone know if the V30 can play apple lossless or ALAC?

Not a big fan of some of those headphones you listed, but yes the V30 can handle ALAC. Comparing Venture Electronics to the likes of Sennheiser is a bad idea. Sennheiser s tend to be on the pricey side, but the quality & sound stage can only be matched by very few. You don't have to start with their top models like the IE 800S. You can start off with their CX300 II which are around $38 on amazon. These provide the isolation you are looking for plus a very good soundstage.

The Beyer 770 Pros are ok. I would not get the 250 Ohm but instead stick with the 80 Ohm version. The 250 Ohm is hard to drive & the quality doesn't improve much at all. Also keep in mind that this model has a V-shaped frequency response, which means that lows and highs are more enhanced than mids which would also lead to ear fatigue relatively fast.

balama

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
I have the Mass Drop Sennheiser 6xx and yes, sennheiser makes good phones but their earbuds have not impressed me, just lika the onemore that everyone raves about. I got the Sennheiser PMX 680 for yard work and thye sounded better to me than any of the in ear sennheisers. I have fond memories my original yellow foamy earpadded Sennheisers listening to vinyl in the 70's-80's.

Picked up a bunch more Chi-Fi buds to test like the VE Monk IE Biggie and Smalls and a bunch of the KZs like the ZST, ATE, ATR, ZS3s and ZS5s. but out of all of them the best has been the Shozy Hibiki. Other than the fit, I still like the Monk Plus's though. Doing the 100-200 hour burn in to see if the sound profile changes. The Hibiki has good isolation, soundstage and presence. The Monk Plus's have the same except isolation and reduced bass because they are buds and not IEMs. They are like the Sennheiser PMX 680 in that way.

Plus I'm still waiting on the Mass Drop NuForce EDC3s, TIN Audio T2s, BGVP DS1s, Yersen FEN 2000s and LKER i8s all which have gotten some props on HeadFi and the interwebs.

The Focal 2000/3000 look interesting but they say its a fragile build

Between my Fostex T50RP MKiii with Zeos pad mods versus the Beyeredynamic, the 770's have better isolation but the Fostex Pad's are more comfortable. Also the ATH-40s have better Isolation than the Fostex's.

I also found these old Future Sonics EM3s from with these weird beige foam pads I had for decades. I ordered some updated replace tips and funny thing they sound pretty damn good.

balama

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
got a bunch more cheap buds to test
some good some bad all cheaper than the Soundmagics E80s
But I did fix the sound profile on the Soundmagic E80Ss by changing the tips to complys and then to spinfits
They sound much better now just not worth the money compare to others

Qaswara

Apr 15, 2018
Visit site
got a bunch more cheap buds to test
some good some bad all cheaper than the Soundmagics E80s
But I did fix the sound profile on the Soundmagic E80Ss by changing the tips to complys and then to spinfits
They sound much better now just not worth the money compare to others

Looking for recommendation on Bluetooth and noise cancellation ?

balama

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
The KS $20 ZST (2 drivers), $14 ZS3 (3 drivers) , $29 ZSR (single driver) or new $46 ZS10 (5 drivers) with the $13 bluetooth adaptor are somewhat inexpensive options with great sound. The noice calcelling is from the noise isolation they provide as IEMs.

If you want waterproof the $27 Taotronics and $20 IPX-7 Senso on amazon aren't bad
The $22 SMARTOMI Q5 True Wireless earbuds. I get about 7-8 hours on my Taotronics nut the more stuff you have to charge the mor olugs and cable you need.

If you want to go upscale the new $200 Campfire Comet with $60 MEE Audio BTX cable is a great start

The new Bose wire less or Sony Wireless headset are good for NC/sound but really expensive. I have both the in ear and over ear bose's.

But why wireless when the sound is from the plug is the selling point of V30?
I don't know if the V30 even has APTX

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo