Going for the V30/+ soon

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm probably leaning toward picking up the V30 in May. As of this moment, it seems like it ticks all the boxes for what I look for in a phone. I appreciate the MIL SPEC rating, as I tend to be clumsy, lol. I also like the IP68 waterproofing, and of course, the quad DAC, which is one of the bigger selling points to me as a music lover.

That being said, how much storage is availavle to the user on both the 64 GB and 128 GB variants? With a 3,300 mAh battery, what can I realistically expect in terms of battery life SOT and standby time? Being a lighter user, I don't do gaming, nor do I take anything more than the occasional point-and-shoot photo. All I do is talk, text, browse the web, stream my music on GPM, watch YouTube videos and forum. Great standby is a must.

Also, I'm hoping any niggling issues have been addressed regarding screen uniformity in later batches? Can anyone please confirm or deny this? I know LG is having its issues lately, but as much as they're pretty phones, something about Samsung scares me. Feedback is appreciated.

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I'm probably leaning toward picking up the V30 in May. As of this moment, it seems like it ticks all the boxes for what I look for in a phone. I appreciate the MIL SPEC rating, as I tend to be clumsy, lol. I also like the IP68 waterproofing, and of course, the quad DAC, which is one of the bigger selling points to me as a music lover.

That being said, how much storage is availavle to the user on both the 64 GB and 128 GB variants? With a 3,300 mAh battery, what can I realistically expect in terms of battery life SOT and standby time? Being a lighter user, I don't do gaming, nor do I take anything more than the occasional point-and-shoot photo. All I do is talk, text, browse the web, stream my music on GPM, watch YouTube videos and forum. Great standby is a must.

Also, I'm hoping any niggling issues have been addressed regarding screen uniformity in later batches? Can anyone please confirm or deny this? I know LG is having its issues lately, but as much as they're pretty phones, something about Samsung scares me. Feedback is appreciated.
Insane standby battery, when on mid-level battery saver. Great battery on standby without battery saver. Your haptic feedback wont work though on mid-level battery saver. So I switch battery saver on while at work since i dint use phone much there. Leave work with 80% then switch off battery saver to have haptics.

Get a couple wireless charging pads to leave around the house or at work. Slap the v30 on those occasionally and you wont even need to bring your fast charger everywhere you go like I did with Samsung.

Gorgeous screen too. Absolutely zero issues with screen or tint or anything. Lovely very high-end screen. The quad DAC is exactly what its cracked up to be. Nutty.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Insane standby battery, when on mid-level battery saver. Great battery on standby without battery saver. Your haptic feedback wont work though on mid-level battery saver. So I switch battery saver on while at work since i dint use phone much there. Leave work with 80% then switch off battery saver to have haptics.

Get a couple wireless charging pads to leave around the house or at work. Slap the v30 on those occasionally and you wont even need to bring your fast charger everywhere you go like I did with Samsung.

Gorgeous screen too. Absolutely zero issues with screen or tint or anything. Lovely very high-end screen. The quad DAC is exactly what its cracked up to be. Nutty.

Thanks for the info, great to know. Do you have the 64 GB or 128? I don't have a lot of apps installed, but I figure 128 GB is good to have. How many GB do you have available to you?

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I have the 128gb, which is awesome. Totally different for me not even thinking about storage space.

Mine is Sprint, so after bloatware and pre installed apps I probably started with 117gb.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't be happier with this phone.

I haven't had a Samsung device in a long time and I was really considering the Note 8 (and I'm not doubting it's capabilities) but I'm very happy the V30+ won me over.

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I just got the V30+ yesterday, upgrading from a Galaxy S6. I haven't had much time with the phone yet, but I think I'm going to like it. I had thought about taking advantage of the discounted S8, but the FPS is just to awkward. The V30's FPS is in the right place and I like the overall feel of the phone.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I just got the V30+ yesterday, upgrading from a Galaxy S6. I haven't had much time with the phone yet, but I think I'm going to like it. I had thought about taking advantage of the discounted S8, but the FPS is just to awkward. The V30's FPS is in the right place and I like the overall feel of the phone.

What headphones are you using to take advantage of the DAC? Please report back about your battery life experience with it. Enjoy!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't be happier with this phone.

I haven't had a Samsung device in a long time and I was really considering the Note 8 (and I'm not doubting it's capabilities) but I'm very happy the V30+ won me over.

So glad you are enjoying it!

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I haven't played around with the phone much yet. The phone comes with a set of B&O earbuds and they're okay. Honestly, I'm not a big audiophile, but was a bit underwhelmed by the DAC. There's a difference in having it on, but IMO not that significant. Battery life is great. I was at 100% yesterday at 9 a.m. and 24 hours later, I'm at 35%. That's after decent use that included texting, checking email, being on the 'net, shooting a couple of test videos, listening to music, etc. So, far very pleased.

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I'm using Philips shp9500s, PSB m4u2 and Grado 325e headphones. All are full-sized over-ear headphones, two of them are open-backed design. With these 3 mid-fi very good headphones the DAC makes a huge difference.

It's astonishing to get the same sound as I did when I was tethering expensive amps to my previous phone to get good sound. But the B&O headphones that came with my v30 are some of the worst sounding earbuds I've ever heard. The needs another headphone to gauge it's quality.

Last edited:

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, I ended up returning my device. I really wanted to like the phone, but two things moved me to return the device. First, while the camera is good and had some additional features that my S6 didn't have, IMO the camera wasn't significantly better, at least not the auto shoot feature. Secondly and more importantly, the call quality. Frequently, I experienced instances where the person I was speaking to said that I was breaking up, even though I could hear them just fine. Ironically, I had a G2 years ago and experienced these same two things. Prior to the G2 I had the Galaxy S2 and didn't experience much better camera performance with the G2 and ran in to the same call quality issues. So I ended up reverting back to Samsung and getting the S6. Guess at some point I'll look at moving to the S8 or S9.

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, I ended up returning my device. I really wanted to like the phone, but two things moved me to return the device. First, while the camera is good and had some additional features that my S6 didn't have, IMO the camera wasn't significantly better, at least not the auto shoot feature. Secondly and more importantly, the call quality. Frequently, I experienced instances where the person I was speaking to said that I was breaking up, even though I could hear them just fine. Ironically, I had a G2 years ago and experienced these same two things. Prior to the G2 I had the Galaxy S2 and didn't experience much better camera performance with the G2 and ran in to the same call quality issues. So I ended up reverting back to Samsung and getting the S6. Guess at some point I'll look at moving to the S8 or S9.

That's a bummer. Are you sure it was actually call quality? For several calls my wife said the same thing about hers. Then I saw how she was holding the phone when making a call and her pinky finger was covering the microphone on the bottom. Very easy to do on this phone if you hold it right handed. Once she moved her finger the other person could hear her just fine.

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
That's a bummer. Are you sure it was actually call quality? For several calls my wife said the same thing about hers. Then I saw how she was holding the phone when making a call and her pinky finger was covering the microphone on the bottom. Very easy to do on this phone if you hold it right handed. Once she moved her finger the other person could hear her just fine.

I noticed that as well. Guess it's just me and LG phones, but I usually hold the phone in my left hand. Oh well.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I haven't played around with the phone much yet. The phone comes with a set of B&O earbuds and they're okay. Honestly, I'm not a big audiophile, but was a bit underwhelmed by the DAC. There's a difference in having it on, but IMO not that significant. Battery life is great. I was at 100% yesterday at 9 a.m. and 24 hours later, I'm at 35%. That's after decent use that included texting, checking email, being on the 'net, shooting a couple of test videos, listening to music, etc. So, far very pleased.

It depends on the headphones to truly appreciate the difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech