Trying to set up my new V30. Tempered screen saver I bought turned out to be a piece of junk and wouldn't even stick to the screen. Somehow during set up I got a small nick on the far side of the screen. Not happy! Is there any kind of goop or something I can use to fill it? I guess Gorilla glass isn't all it's cracked up to be?

Next, I thought there was a law or something made years ago that required cell phone makers to make their USB cables universal? None of my existing USB cables fit this phone and my new phone of course cannot be plugged in with other cables. Old cables are going to be useless as spares. What's up with that?
    03-23-2018 01:00 PM
    You can try nail polish to fill the crack but if it's over a touch area, that will probably reduce or kill sensitivity. Gorilla glass is resistant but it's not shater-proof or scratch-proof. You still need to be careful with the device, especially if there are any curves.

As for the cables, no, there is no law. There is an agreement to maintain standards, which is why older devices used microUSB cables (except for iPhones). Now, the standard is changing and everyone is moving to USB-C, doing away from microUSB (even Apple is doing that with their computer line). You can still get microUSB-to-USB-C adapters and still use your old cables (some manufacturers might include one in the box for new devices, like the first two generations that Samsung switched to USB-C...S9 line, however, no longer includes it).
    03-23-2018 01:26 PM
    You can try nail polish to fill the crack but if it's over a touch area, that will probably reduce or kill sensitivity. Gorilla glass is resistant but it's not shater-proof or scratch-proof. You still need to be careful with the device, especially if there are any curves.

As for the cables, no, there is no law. There is an agreement to maintain standards, which is why older devices used microUSB cables (except for iPhones). Now, the standard is changing and everyone is moving to USB-C, doing away from microUSB (even Apple is doing that with their computer line). You can still get microUSB-to-USB-C adapters and still use your old cables (some manufacturers might include one in the box for new devices, like the first two generations that Samsung switched to USB-C...S9 line, however, no longer includes it).
    Thank goodness it's not in a touch area. Thanks for your response, too.
    03-23-2018 02:31 PM
    If it's a VERY light scratch you can try the toothpaste polishing trick, but try it on a very small area first as this might actually make things worse depending on the glass, area, and how deep the scratch is (apply paste, polish away with dry, soft cloth).
    03-23-2018 02:55 PM
    If it's a VERY light scratch you can try the toothpaste polishing trick, but try it on a very small area first as this might actually make things worse depending on the glass, area, and how deep the scratch is (apply paste, polish away with dry, soft cloth).
    It's deeper than that. Luckily it's over on the side on the black rim.
    03-23-2018 03:17 PM

What would be the best way to put the polish on.
    03-23-2018 03:18 PM
    What would be the best way to put the polish on.
    One nail at a time....lol....sorry...couldn't resist.
    It would depend on how wide or deep the scratch is. I have never tried it on a phone, however it's always best to apply as thin as possible in a couple of applications. Can you take a picture of it?
    SpookDroid likes this.
    03-23-2018 03:41 PM
    Trying to set up my new V30. Tempered screen saver I bought turned out to be a piece of junk and wouldn't even stick to the screen. Somehow during set up I got a small nick on the far side of the screen. Not happy! Is there any kind of goop or something I can use to fill it? I guess Gorilla glass isn't all it's cracked up to be?

Next, I thought there was a law or something made years ago that required cell phone makers to make their USB cables universal? None of my existing USB cables fit this phone and my new phone of course cannot be plugged in with other cables. Old cables are going to be useless as spares. What's up with that?
    First of all, all Android smartphones switched to USB C, the new standard. You are trying to use the micro USB cable which is about to be obsolete eventually. USB C charges more effectively and you can plug it in at any angle. About the glass, Gorilla Glass 4 and 5 has proven to be very easily to scratch.. guess they put too much focus on shatter resistance than scratch resistance. Gorilla Glass 3 was MUCH better in my opinion. You can buy a windshield glass fixer from the auto parts store, it will just fill in the crack, but the mark will still be there however. How exactly did the screen get chipped like that, did you know?
    03-26-2018 11:25 AM
    First of all, all Android smartphones switched to USB C, the new standard. You are trying to use the micro USB cable which is about to be obsolete eventually. USB C charges more effectively and you can plug it in at any angle. About the glass, Gorilla Glass 4 and 5 has proven to be very easily to scratch.. guess they put too much focus on shatter resistance than scratch resistance. Gorilla Glass 3 was MUCH better in my opinion. You can buy a windshield glass fixer from the auto parts store, it will just fill in the crack, but the mark will still be there however. How exactly did the screen get chipped like that, did you know?
    No unfortunately I don't know how it got scratched. Thanks for the tip and info.
    03-26-2018 12:05 PM