Today, mic on my LG V30+ started malfunctioning. For some reason it has a lot of noise. I havent even realized that till my friend called me and said that he cannot hear me. After that my brother tried calling me so we could check if same happens, and it did. I opened the HD voice recorder that came pre-installed and it showed a lot of noise, after recording i played it and you could hear my voice but barely and there was huge amount of noise.

Earlier today my phone was in contact with water but immediately after that i wiped the water from it and blew in speaker and other holes (i always do that after retrieving it from water). About 1 hour after that i recorded some videos (precisely, i recorded a music videos) and it worked perfectly fine.

I am confused and so i ask for help. Could it be a software error that just happened to occur on the same day, or is it really a malfunctioning microphone (considering that V30 has 2-3 mics).

I tried restarting the device but nothing changed. I still havent done a factory reset/hard reset, but that will be my last resort before sending it back on warranty.
    I have tried looking for those secret menus, if there is an option to test the mic, but i couldnt find it.
    04-21-2018 04:30 PM
    Earlier today my phone was in contact with water but immediately after that i wiped the water from it and blew in speaker and other holes (i always do that after retrieving it from water).
    Water damage is both instantaneous and cumulative. Blowing in the holes doesn't get rid of the mineral salts that were in the water. You finally damaged the phone enough that either the mic or the motherboard (or maybe both) has to be replaced. Take it to a repair shop, unless you have insurance that covers water damage.

Could it be a software error that just happened to occur on the same day, or is it really a malfunctioning microphone (considering that V30 has 2-3 mics).
    Sure it could be a coincidence, but it's about 99.999% water damage/.001% software problem possibility, so I wouldn't bet on software.

I tried restarting the device but nothing changed. I still havent done a factory reset/hard reset, but that will be my last resort before sending it back on warranty.
    Don't bother until you've backed everything up. A factory reset (which is not a hard reset - hard reset is power off, power on - soft reset id power button, choose restart) wipes everything, and gives you a factory fresh phone (at least, as far as software goes). All your music, pictures, videos, notes, installed apps - everything goes.

And the warranty doesn't cover water damage. You need insurance for that. No insurance and you'll pay for the repair (and I wouldn't send it to LG - if the whole inside of the phone is moldy and rotted, they'll replace parts and send it back to you - all set to keep rotting the new parts). Bring it to a good local repair shop.

I have tried looking for those secret menus, if there is an option to test the mic, but i couldnt find it.
    You did - the voice recorder. And it said "failed".
    there's no "hardware with no software involved" test - and if the software were bad, the test would still say the same thing as if only the hardware were bad.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-21-2018 04:53 PM
    Thanks for answer. I will probably send it back and see what they say (tho i am not gonna send it to LG but rather to where i bought it from). The only thing i am concerned about is, if it isnt a water damage but rather the software, and they open it in service, i will loose water resistance/seal (sarcastic). If they say that i need to pay, i will do that, there is no problem, learning from my mistakes this way. I will do a factory reset tomorrow, have everything backed up already.
    04-21-2018 05:03 PM
    I just came to say that now my microphone works perfectly fine. It just rested for 1 night, i didnt touch anything. I might have been lucky this time, but next time that definitely wont be the case.
    04-22-2018 04:33 AM
    I put my LG V30+ phone twice in the swimming pool and my microphone dead. I repair it under warranty twice. IP68 from LG is fake. Will never by LG again. Very dissapoint. Samsung S9+ more cool
    07-09-2018 02:34 PM