LG V30 vs Note 8

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
So I have had both and used both of these phones. Currently I have the Note 8. I'm not sure if I'm entirely sold on it. Anybody have an opinion here to help me out with? One thing I'm not entirely happy with the Note 8 compared to the V30 is battery life. I swear if I using my phone heavily within an hour, even on tweaked settings, my battery life could go from 100 to 80% or less.

The V30 would be much less. In the short time I used the V30, it worked quite well with no lags or issues etc. Though my Note 8 has worked great so far, I've heard of lots of people that eventually the lag, bugs and hiccups become awful eventually.

Samsung UI/ Vs LG UI. I'm more of a fan of the feel of LG's themes and stuff like that. Also, the V30 seemed to have minimal bloatware. The Note 8 has a ridiculous amount.

what do you guys think? I'm not sure

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I normally root any phone I have and get rid of the obvious bloatware. (If I'm not sure whether I'l want it some day, I'll freeze it.)

Many phones get filled with garbage and slow down - but my Note 3s, after more than4-1/2 years, are as smooth and snappy as they were on the first day.

Battery life is another thing. A 20% drop from an hour of heavy use isn't abnormal, but charge it to 80% and leave it on for 24 hours without touching it and see what it does. (I think my Note 3s went about 4-1/2 days and still had enough power to not worry too much. [That was 2 years ago, and I was unconscious for the time, so I don't really remember how much was left, but I know I checked, then made a phone call, and I don't go below 40% if I can help it.])

As for the UI, I haven't used TouchWiz since my first Samsung phone. I don't hate it, that would be praising it much too much. It bothers me even seeing it on someone else's phone. But I have the Pixel 2 now, and I don't like Google's UI either. I never liked LG's UI. I didn't hate either one of them, but I never liked them. That's why I've been running Nova Launcher on all my phones for years. It's not perfect, but I'm not going to develop my own launcher (the only way to get any software working exactly the way you want it to work), so it's good enough for me. (I could. I just won't. I'm retired. [That means tired for the second time. :)] Besides, there's too much to do - retirement takes a lot of time.)

The big thing with the Notes is the S-Pen. If you need (or want) what it gives you, the V30, as good a phone as it is, isn't good enough. With my fat fingers, I need it just to use the keyboard without having to correct everything, and a pen click for a screen shot is nice. (I carry a stylus/pen in my pocket now.) But if not? The V30 is a good phone, easy to root, easy to flash, and a little cheaper.

kal_el_5011

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Very well put @Rukbat. For me the battery life is why I eventually moved on from the Galaxy. Two other issues for me were the bloatware and that after the first year I seemed to always have performance issues.

I got my lg v20 after the note 7 fiasco and put nova on it, best decision ever. This morning I unplugged my phone at 100% at 6am, left pandora playing. At 930am,it finally reached 99%.
I normally root any phone I have and get rid of the obvious bloatware. (If I'm not sure whether I'l want it some day, I'll freeze it.)

Many phones get filled with garbage and slow down - but my Note 3s, after more than4-1/2 years, are as smooth and snappy as they were on the first day.

Battery life is another thing. A 20% drop from an hour of heavy use isn't abnormal, but charge it to 80% and leave it on for 24 hours without touching it and see what it does. (I think my Note 3s went about 4-1/2 days and still had enough power to not worry too much. [That was 2 years ago, and I was unconscious for the time, so I don't really remember how much was left, but I know I checked, then made a phone call, and I don't go below 40% if I can help it.])

As for the UI, I haven't used TouchWiz since my first Samsung phone. I don't hate it, that would be praising it much too much. It bothers me even seeing it on someone else's phone. But I have the Pixel 2 now, and I don't like Google's UI either. I never liked LG's UI. I didn't hate either one of them, but I never liked them. That's why I've been running Nova Launcher on all my phones for years. It's not perfect, but I'm not going to develop my own launcher (the only way to get any software working exactly the way you want it to work), so it's good enough for me. (I could. I just won't. I'm retired. [That means tired for the second time. :)] Besides, there's too much to do - retirement takes a lot of time.)

The big thing with the Notes is the S-Pen. If you need (or want) what it gives you, the V30, as good a phone as it is, isn't good enough. With my fat fingers, I need it just to use the keyboard without having to correct everything, and a pen click for a screen shot is nice. (I carry a stylus/pen in my pocket now.) But if not? The V30 is a good phone, easy to root, easy to flash, and a little cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool