RAM management is pretty bad

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I know this phone "only" has 4gb RAM but I feel like every app I switch back to reloads. This really bugs me! Switching between any app and a webpage will always cause there page to reload.

Is there any way to make this better besides installing a custom rom?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't speak to the RAM management in general (though my V20 doesn't have that problem), but the browser pages reloading may be a browser specific issue. I know Chrome is insanely bad about that, sometimes reloading a page when just switching between web tabs. That's not a RAM issue.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Which web browser are you using?

I am using FireFox, and I am not seeing the behavior you are describing on my V30.
I do plenty of switching between Twitter, Instagram, and FireFox.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm using chrome. this isn't just a chrome issue though. go back to just about any app and it will refresh. I don't mean that you start over from the main screen but for me I get an app logo and then it refreshes to where I was.

maybe this is how it's supposed to be? I feel like when I go back to an app I was just in the app should just come up exactly as I left it immediately.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I feel like when I go back to an app I was just in the app should just come up exactly as I left it immediately.

That is the way it should works as long as the app didn't get removed from memory due to another app needing the resources.

I am not normally using more than 2-3 apps at a time, so I normally don't see any "restarts" of the apps. Also the three biggest resource users for me will be Twitter, Instagram, and FireFox.

Any particular apps that you see restarting more than others?
Any chance you are running some of those "cleaner" apps or "battery improvement" apps?

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I use Edge as my browser and don't have that issue either. If an app is frequently used it will open like that. Only time I see it happen is if I go back to the app after awhile or haven't reset my phone in weeks.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Do you have these apps checked off in the power saver exclusions?

I don't have any battery saving features enabled.

I decided to do a factory reset and it has been better since then. There are some apps I feel like always refresh (the AC app for one).

I'll keep an eye on it but for now it's not as bad.