So who's upgrading to the V40?

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I am loving my v30+ lately and have no complaints. I am tempted by the V40 and all those cameras. I use the wide angle on my v30 pretty much exclusively so the upgrade to a higher MP sensor should improve quality.

The nicer display, boombox speaker, and the fact that it keeps everything I like about the v30 in tact.

I do wish it shipped with Pie and more RAM but maybe they'll have a + version in a few months with 128 gb storage.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Is it true that v40 may not have the battery life as good as v30+?

I'm hearing the SD 845 isn't as power efficient as the 835 but I'd be surprised if it had worse battery life. I'm guessing it'll be about the same which isn't bad since the v30 has great battery life imo.

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I'm hearing the SD 845 isn't as power efficient as the 835 but I'd be surprised if it had worse battery life. I'm guessing it'll be about the same which isn't bad since the v30 has great battery life imo.
Ok thanks. Yes I have the v30+ and it is a new experience completely for me not having to baby sit or r en give thought to the phones battery percentage during the day.

I have heard that a lot of people liked v20 removable/swappable battery.

If v40 can find a way to make the battery continue to be a non-issue for people that would be great.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I think I'm going to hold out for the V50. I jumped from the V10 to theV20 and then to the V30, and don't regret it for a second (well, ok, the camera could have honestly been a bit better) but since my V30 is still chugging along just fine, I'm finally realizing that the smaller incremental upgrades from year to year would probably impress me a lot more if I started upgrading every other itineration in the same line of the V model

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Still Loving my V30+ and I think I'll stick with it.

Although I am very impulsive and I love new phone season lol

Ldshark

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
to me mixed bag I love my v30 and performs amazing even the cameras. v40 screen looks even better but other than 5 cam system and new processor not much has changed and not worth the 900+ price tag. I will wait for either price to drop or one plus 6t or maybe pixel

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
to me mixed bag I love my v30 and performs amazing even the cameras. v40 screen looks even better but other than 5 cam system and new processor not much has changed and not worth the 900+ price tag. I will wait for either price to drop or one plus 6t or maybe pixel

The One Plus 6T is a downgrade from even the V30. No Quad DAC, No headphone jack, No IP68, No wireless charging, No QHD screen, No MicroSD storage lol, I can go on.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a V30 but I still kept my V20 with 2 spare batteries and standalone charger for my 9 year old daughter to use and keep as a spare phone since it seems we have to keep sending phones in for repair. Thankful for the second year promise.

I'm holding out for the V50 but I'll get rid of this V30 when I do so because you can't swap battery. I am upgrading my fiancée from her G6 to the V40 though because she will love the receiver as mic feature she is jealous of on my V30. And she loves to play music from her phone so boombox sound will be great.

The 845 is supposed to be more efficient than the 835 from what I understand, not the other way around. I suppose it depends on how hard you push the phone. Perhaps at full tilt it can draw more power.

The V40 does shoot 4k60fps and while the V30 could have done that with the V30 just like Samsung did with the S8, LG chose to limit it to 30fps. Which perhaps is better because I am noticing delay in the camera recording in 4k and even stutters in video sometimes.

Where the V30 and G6 do better is in video recording using its different cameras. The V40 does not let you switch to or from wide angle camera during video recording. The V30 and G6 do, (G5 probably also) and we use this feature all the time.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
The One Plus 6T is a downgrade from even the V30. No Quad DAC, No headphone jack, No IP68, No wireless charging, No QHD screen, No MicroSD storage lol, I can go on.

Most of those downgrades are not important for all. I've had the V30 for a year now and it is a great phone. But I have never used the headphone jack, which also means I have not used the quad DAC. I have never dropped any phone in water, so continuously paying for IP certification seems like a waste. My V30 has 64GB storage and I have a 64GB SD card and I'm using less than half of that space, so 128GB built in storage is perfect. A Quad HD screen just wastes battery life unless you are using VR. All sacrifices I'm willing to make to save $400.

I would miss wireless charging though, but it is hardly the end of the world.

On Oneplus's side, they update to new versions of android much faster than LG. Take a look at the resale value of OnePlus phones. They retain their value better than LG phones do too. a 5t which cost $529 can still fetch $300+. a V30 which cost $800 can barely reach $300.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes I have heard this too... I remember reading an article for the Pixel 3 and the was a comment that reflected this, that went along the lines that hopefully the Pixel 3 would be the first 845 Qualcomm phone to exhibit progressively better battery endurance as the other 845 phones released to date had showed unremarkable battery endurance. I think OEMs have struggled to optimise the 845 chipset as well as the 835.

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Most of those downgrades are not important for all. I've had the V30 for a year now and it is a great phone. But I have never used the headphone jack, which also means I have not used the quad DAC. I have never dropped any phone in water, so continuously paying for IP certification seems like a waste. My V30 has 64GB storage and I have a 64GB SD card and I'm using less than half of that space, so 128GB built in storage is perfect. A Quad HD screen just wastes battery life unless you are using VR. All sacrifices I'm willing to make to save $400.

I would miss wireless charging though, but it is hardly the end of the world.

On Oneplus's side, they update to new versions of android much faster than LG. Take a look at the resale value of OnePlus phones. They retain their value better than LG phones do too. a 5t which cost $529 can still fetch $300+. a V30 which cost $800 can barely reach $300.

Wow, you're missing out horribly if you've never used the headphone jack. You're one of the ones responsible for it's removal by other OEMS. LG will likely do the same for the G series but keep it intact for the V series.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a V30 but I still kept my V20 with 2 spare batteries and standalone charger for my 9 year old daughter to use and keep as a spare phone since it seems we have to keep sending phones in for repair. Thankful for the second year promise.

I'm holding out for the V50 but I'll get rid of this V30 when I do so because you can't swap battery. I am upgrading my fiancée from her G6 to the V40 though because she will love the receiver as mic feature she is jealous of on my V30. And she loves to play music from her phone so boombox sound will be great.

The 845 is supposed to be more efficient than the 835 from what I understand, not the other way around. I suppose it depends on how hard you push the phone. Perhaps at full tilt it can draw more power.

The V40 does shoot 4k60fps and while the V30 could have done that with the V30 just like Samsung did with the S8, LG chose to limit it to 30fps. Which perhaps is better because I am noticing delay in the camera recording in 4k and even stutters in video sometimes.

Where the V30 and G6 do better is in video recording using its different cameras. The V40 does not let you switch to or from wide angle camera during video recording. The V30 and G6 do, (G5 probably also) and we use this feature all the time.

The Samsung S8 and S8+ do not have the ability to shoot video 4K @60 FPS, only 30fps

Jean Lai Kan

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
I am loving my v30+ lately and have no complaints. I am tempted by the V40 and all those cameras. I use the wide angle on my v30 pretty much exclusively so the upgrade to a higher MP sensor should improve quality.

The nicer display, boombox speaker, and the fact that it keeps everything I like about the v30 in tact.

I do wish it shipped with Pie and more RAM but maybe they'll have a + version in a few months with 128 gb storage.

Another question.
The Mate 20X & Pro also have wide & tele lenses + a much bigger battery. So is anyone tempted by the Mate 20?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci