V30 vs Pixel 3XL vs V40

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
v40 looks cool but it's priced too high. the v30 is clearly the better buy right now. in a month it'll probably be down to 650 and start to look better but they are nuts thinking people are going to buy this over a Samsung S9 that is priced to move.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
V30+ now $599 on US Cellular. I think I'm going to bite in a week or so. But I'm tempted to see if there are any discounts on Black Friday. But still, that seems like a great price on that phone.

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
I'm told that the v40 is slim or narrow in the way s8 and Note 8 were.

I've always used Samsungs but was turned off by that narrow look and feel and went with the wider v30+.

Will In SF

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the LG V30 and am eligible for an upgrade on T Mobile Jump, so I went and looked at phones today. First I checked out the V40. The V40 is beautiful and th e screen looked fantastic. I was not impressed with the camera unfotunately. I tested it against the V30 and it seemed like the V30 showed more detail and did not blow out highlights as much as the V40. I also checked out the Note 9 and it is just not for me. I even checked out the Iphone Xs and XsMax...they are beautiful phones and seemed to take great photos. I then checked out the Google Pixel 3XL. The camera seems fantastic and the phone feels great in hand, but the notch is right there friont and center. I might try it if T Mobile carrried it, but it not worth it for me otherwise. I think I am going to stick with my no-notch, headphone jacked V30 with the Google Camera port for difficult lighting situations. I continue the believe that the V30 is still a very underrated phone. I will check out the Iphone Xr just out curiosity...but for now I am happy!

PS...the selfie cam on the V40 did impress me...way better than the V30, but I do not take a lot of selfies.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Having finally learned my lesson after buying each new yearly release in the V series, I'm finally going to sit out the V40. My V30 is chugging along just fine, and from most indications so far, the camera is a slight to not at all improvement over the V30. I truly wish they would not worry about having 17 different cameras in the phone, and just work on one really really good one. It's odd I've never gotten better results than I did with the LG G4 camera. I'd kill to just have that brought back

rfan8312

Sep 17, 2017
Visit site
Having finally learned my lesson after buying each new yearly release in the V series, I'm finally going to sit out the V40. My V30 is chugging along just fine, and from most indications so far, the camera is a slight to not at all improvement over the V30. I truly wish they would not worry about having 17 different cameras in the phone, and just work on one really really good one. It's odd I've never gotten better results than I did with the LG G4 camera. I'd kill to just have that brought back
I absolutely hear you. Lame photo quality on my v30. I tried installing Google camera apk I couldn't get it working, that's my fault. I've heard others before say too that G3 and G4 had great camera quality.

I'm not going to complain too much about it because the phone is great and every phone I've had did have things that others didn't and vice versa. Good battery good sound good screen crap camera (in my case).

I do wish though that split screen mode worked in v30 as well as it did on my Samsungs.

In v30 if one side of screen is playing video, as soon as I touch the other side of the screen, video on the other side stops playing. If you use split screen enough, it feels nearly essential, and a time saver.

On Samsung you could watch a product review while using Amazon app or sites for photos and specs and info about the product.

Last edited:

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Is nobody else tempted to get the OnePlus 6T? The Teardrop notch doesn't offend me too much. I really like the bigger battery and 1080P is good enough for a phone (I don't use VR). The only thing I'd really miss is wireless charging, and the wide angle camera on my V30.

jmfixitman

Oct 4, 2018
Visit site
Is nobody else tempted to get the OnePlus 6T? The Teardrop notch doesn't offend me too much. I really like the bigger battery and 1080P is good enough for a phone (I don't use VR). The only thing I'd really miss is wireless charging, and the wide angle camera on my V30.
I'd miss that too, and the headphone jack, SD card slot, and having the security of a little water resistance. So for me it's not a tempting trade.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have any thoughts about switching to the Pixel or the V40?

I've got the V30 and am super happy with it. Got at launch, and it's been flawless right from the beginning. I had an original pixel. It was absolutely a total waste of money. It was built very solid, but other than stock android, it offered nothing. If I were going to upgrade, it would be the V40 for me. In all honesty, I think the V series phones are incredibly ignored, and unfairly underrated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21