Chrome uses up the most temporary files, storage, data, and battery on my phone. No other app even comes close to it.
    I ask the question because I very rarely use Chrome, in fact I haven't opened the app in months.. But it's always way at the top in all the percentages.
    Concerned if there's spyware or something using Chrome on my phone.
    Thanks for any insight.
    02-05-2019 03:58 PM
    The temp files are probably the cache files.
    If you are not using the Chrome browser app, Google Services may be using the Chrome backend for its internet needs, maybe.

Do you have Chrome setup to sync your phone and computer for tabs and bookmarks and the like?
    02-06-2019 04:12 AM
    Since Chrome takes over the function of Android System Webview on Nougat and above, it's possible that it's still being utilized when other apps are accessing the web, which would lead to an increase in cached data.
    02-06-2019 01:27 PM
    The temp files are probably the cache files.
    If you are not using the Chrome browser app, Google Services may be using the Chrome backend for its internet needs, maybe.

Do you have Chrome setup to sync your phone and computer for tabs and bookmarks and the like?
    I don't use Chrome for anything. I don't even have a computer or any other device... just my phone.
    Whenever my phone runs a health check, it says to clear temporary files to free up space, and it's always Chrome.
    02-07-2019 12:15 PM
    See my post just above yours.
    02-07-2019 12:53 PM
    If you do into settings... Connections... Data usage... You should be able to find Chrome and stop it running on background.
    You can also open the app from settings and limit battery usage and clear its cache...
    02-07-2019 01:56 PM
    I think I may have figured it out.. I disabled Chrome, and then all my 'add to home screen' pages disapeared. Also, I became logged out of all the websites I visit.
    So I guess Chrome is constantly working in the backround, even though I don't physically use the app.
    02-17-2019 01:41 PM