Hello. I purchased the LG V30 in early June of last year and have been using it until recently when I upgraded to the S9 Plus. I have a certain amount of time until I can return my new phone and honestly, I'm not so sure its a worth while upgrade. All that being said, who else is refusing to upgrade their V30 and keep it til it dies? I might be doing that as well.

A few things I really enjoy about the V30 that really stick out over the S9 Plus for me:

1. - The design. I really enjoy the physical design of this phone. It's a lot more comfortable to hold in the hand and more pleasant to look at IMO.

2. The battery life. Man oh man, the battery on the LG V30 is a amazing. Granted, I wouldn't keep it on full brightness. Usually like 80%, but the battery literally lasted all day. From 5AM til 1030 PM when I go to bed.

3. LG's UI - I must be one of the only ones who's more of a fan of LG's android skins and user interface compared to Samsungs. There doesn't seem to be as much bloatware and it seems less cluttered IMO.
    03-22-2019 09:49 PM
    Yes I'm loving the V30 still but I have my sights set on the P30 Pro. But that's no knock against this phone because it has so many positives going for it. The battery life is a beast and Huawei is one of the few manufacturers who can match that. I absolutely love the design so much so that I only use a case to use with my magic mount which I have the magnet on the case. Really no complaints about it and I would be just fine keeping it if I don't upgrade to the P30 Pro like I plan to. I absolutely love LG's manual mode over everything else on the market right now as well. Huawei has a robust manual mode as well but nothing is as well laid out as LG's interpretation and Huawei doesn't off the same controls in video so I'll have to rely on Moment or Filmic Pro for those tasks. If you keep the phone I don't think you'll have any regrets unless you're a selfie lover.
    03-22-2019 09:57 PM
    Also the mics on the V series of phones are so good they can be used as a stand alone recorder for different scenarios and leave you with something useful. I have never been able to say that about other devices. I use the HiFi recorder app all the time.
    03-22-2019 10:32 PM
    My main issue with the V30 as well as the other LG device I had, the LG G6, is they are both really glitchy and buggy. The G6 is actually the worst phone I have ever used. Other than that, it's a pretty solid device. I have a much better track record with Samsung devices being more stable and working for 2-3 years with no issues. I had the GS5 for two years and it was the best device I've ever used.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the annoying, extremely curved edges of the S9+ though.
    03-23-2019 12:05 PM
    I agree with you about LG's skin. Samsungs is such a mess, and LG's is actually very useful.
    03-24-2019 07:30 AM
    Wait for the V50 to come out.
    The price of the V40 may drop a little more. It's already dropped.

Unless you need the 5 cameras now.

I have the V40 and the V20. I upgraded from the S8+ to the V40. I really should have waited until the price dropped but I traded in the S8+ to get the trade in amount.

Don't get me wrong, the V40 is a spectacular phone and a keeper for a long time. It's been so fast for me. I love the Quad dac (as in the V20). Plus, I have T-Mobile and wanted the band 71, which the S8+ did not have
    03-24-2019 10:20 AM
    The V40 T-Mobile variant is already only 600 dollars and zero down.
    03-24-2019 09:36 PM
    Not a bad deal if you don't mind the battery life which seems the most glaring con to me in the V40.
    03-24-2019 09:57 PM
    Not a bad deal if you don't mind the battery life which seems the most glaring con to me in the V40.
    Yeah thats a deal breaker. The V30 is the king of battery life IMO. I only very rarely had to charge it more than once a day.
    03-25-2019 05:56 AM
    Yeah thats a deal breaker. The V30 is the king of battery life IMO. I only very rarely had to charge it more than once a day.
    Similar experience. I can say I was actually surprised when the battery suddenly spiked in the wrong direction cause it just didn't happen much. This is one of the only phones I've had where that was the case.
    03-25-2019 06:10 AM
    My main issue with the V30 as well as the other LG device I had, the LG G6, is they are both really glitchy and buggy. The G6 is actually the worst phone I have ever used. Other than that, it's a pretty solid device. I have a much better track record with Samsung devices being more stable and working for 2-3 years with no issues. I had the GS5 for two years and it was the best device I've ever used.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the annoying, extremely curved edges of the S9+ though.
    I agree with you about the curved edges on the Galaxy phones. I had the S7 Edge and really grew to hate the curved edges.

I don't know about the G6, but the V30 has been very stable for me. After a about 14 months, I did have to do a factory reset to clear up an issue with apps not updating, but the last Samsung phone I had need to be restarted weekly (battery drain issues), and reset every couple of months, so LG gets a gold star from me.

I still haven't found a phone which makes me want to give up my V30. I almost got the OnePlus 6t, but decided to hold off. Now I'm seriously thinking about the OP7 (If the spec rumors hold true).
    eth555 likes this.
    03-25-2019 07:49 AM
    I would love to get the Oneplus 6T, but not being water resistant is also a deal breaker for me. Seems like a great phone for the price with all the hardware and top of the line specs. I think I will more than likely just check out the V50 when its out and at a good price. Supposedly its going to have a 4000 Mah battery.
    03-25-2019 08:52 AM
    I would love to get the Oneplus 6T, but not being water resistant is also a deal breaker for me. Seems like a great phone for the price with all the hardware and top of the line specs. I think I will more than likely just check out the V50 when its out and at a good price. Supposedly its going to have a 4000 Mah battery.
    The thing OnePlus is missing that will be most painful for me is wireless charging. I have never dropped my phone in water (JINX). I'd rather have the pop out front camera and no notch than a notch at the top, even if that comes at the cost of water resistance.

The current rumor on the OP7 is for a 4150mAh battery. If it is 4000+ i'm all in.
    RaRa85 likes this.
    03-25-2019 10:30 AM
    18mos or so with one and I still love it. Completely agree on #1 & 2, use Nova for #3 .

I would add...great screen, great design, lousy camera.

I have no desire to replace mine, and eagerly await the Pie release.
    03-26-2019 10:46 AM
    18mos or so with one and I still love it. Completely agree on #1 & 2, use Nova for #3 .

I would add...great screen, great design, lousy camera.

I have no desire to replace mine, and eagerly await the Pie release.
    Whoa, lousy camera? Not the best but no slouch especially if you get your hands on manual mode which is where I spend 90% of my time.
    mark233 likes this.
    03-26-2019 11:04 AM
    Got my V30 back in Oct(?) 2017 after my LG G4 boot-looped.
    Great battery life, nice screen, love the DAC sound system.
    Stayed with the LG family as I like their UI over the stories I hear about Samsung UI.
    While the camera is not the greatest, it certainly gets the job done with no complaints, especially in manual mode.
    RaRa85 and mark233 like this.
    03-27-2019 12:46 AM
    No fancy night modes. Just good old fashioned OIS at work in manual. I usually edit from RAW before sharing but these are the JPEGs unedited.
    talonsmith and thunder18 like this.
    03-27-2019 01:09 AM
    If they have that price with the BOGO still then that's a steal.
    03-29-2019 01:56 PM
    Still with V30. Was going to wait for V50 but Idk now as it's not much of an upgrade from V40. Got my fiancée a V40 for Christmas.

I like her 4k60fps video, but I think I like my bring able to go from main to wide during video recording. LG wide angle is be coming less and less wide with each new phone too. I hope LG wises up and chooses the wide angle and main cameras to be able to both be used in the same video.
    04-02-2019 04:52 PM
    I am with the V30 still and dig it. I don't think I could get used to the notch on v40 or V50...

Question: if you turn the notch off on the V40 what is the screen size? Does it compare to the V30? From what I can see spec wise they are about the exact same width, just that the V40 is taller.
    04-04-2019 07:56 AM
    I am with the V30 still and dig it. I don't think I could get used to the notch on v40 or V50...

Question: if you turn the notch off on the V40 what is the screen size? Does it compare to the V30? From what I can see spec wise they are about the exact same width, just that the V40 is taller.
    You cannot actually disable the notch. You can only make it black, but the notifications still appear at the top to the sides of the notch. That being said, it's still a bit taller I think. I'll take a picture with my V20 when I get home of my V30 next to wifey's V40 with the notch "turned off".
    04-04-2019 08:31 AM
    You cannot actually disable the notch. You can only make it black, but the notifications still appear at the top to the sides of the notch. That being said, it's still a bit taller I think. I'll take a picture with my V20 when I get home of my V30 next to wifey's V40 with the notch "turned off".
    Awesome - thanks. I've been trying to find how close they are in size when the notch is turned off. I imagine still a bit taller, but not by much.
    04-04-2019 08:59 AM
    i order a new verizon V30 LG phone on ebay
    04-13-2019 09:28 PM
    I just bought a new T-Mobile V30 on ebay for $255
    RaRa85 likes this.
    04-16-2019 08:15 PM
    I just bought a new T-Mobile V30 on ebay for $255
    Smoking deal!
    ScottsoNJ likes this.
    04-16-2019 08:24 PM