What i sooooo bad about the v30+?

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
So we have a special on, I presume because the v50 is near release.....

Anyway it is $600nzd/390USD 2 year warranty, I think plus just mean dual sim...?

So I was going to buy it, because I really want an OLED type screen.

Also it does HDR from Netflix

so somebody said they are terrible and I should buy an s8 which are about $550NZD.

But Netflix states it does not support HDR on the S8 and I reallllllllllly hate those double curved feel of their edges (seems like a bad industrial design, a soap bar made of glass).

SO I also considered an a30 which is $350NZD, but here we only get exynos CPUs and its less powerful than the SD636. And still doesn do HDR.

Then there is Huaiwei but they having issues with android compliance and security.

Will the v30 last me a couple of years and should I spend more for the s10e?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Rumors are only as good as their documented sources. "Somebody said" is quite meaningless.

I love my V30. Had it since Oct 2017 as an upgrade to my bootlooped LG G4.
I have no problems with the screen. Never tried the Netflix HDR.
Never used any of the other phones you have listed.

I believe the + in V30+ means double the normal internal storage.

Last edited:

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Is the Samsung OLED that much better?

I compared the phones and imo the v30 offers more bang for buck, but is the v30 PLED better than an LCD? I want inky blacks vs grey on my lcd....

Also gsmarena and dxo dont rate the cameras on the v30 very good at all.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I have no complaints about the colors and blacks on my V30's screen.

The V30's camera system tends to get under-rated, probably for generating clicks on comparison articles. Yes, there are certainly better cameras out there on other phones. It is mostly a software thing. If you like to run in full-auto mode for the cameras, you might prefer a different phone if you like taking lots of pictures. I don't take a lot of photos with the phone, and I do like the manual mode.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I know the V30 was harshly criticized for it's display at launch (unfairly from what I can tell). I've have no complaints on the screen on my V30 which I've owned since launch (Oct 2017). There are better options for low light photography, but is fine with descent light.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I've had the LG V30 for awhile now and I really enjoy it. The screen on it is great as well as the battery life on the phone. I tried an S9 Plus recently out of curiosity and I have to say, I really prefer the screen on the V30. The colors look more natural and vibrant IMO. The Samsung looks a bit dark.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I had the V30, and loved the phone. It had one major flaw, and that was reception. It was horrible at grabbing a cell signal. Now, after reading it seems to be on Tmobile and AT&T versions of the phone.(I have AT&T) Verizon and Sprint don't seem to have the problem.

CellyPhoner

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Thanks all. Im soooo torn as all I want is a budget phone that is OLED for watching videos and general crisp lettering.

The only issue is the v30 only has 1 more OS update left?

I also dont like edged phones like the s8, they look odd too me at the edges and they are made of glass but super slippery.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The glass back on the LG V30 is also a little slick to the touch. I put a thin case on it to make it easier to hold.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
You guys have forgotten one thing about LG phones:

Their software is mediocre and they are almost never updated more than once if at all >_<

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I find the LG software to be quite good. It certainly has fewer complaints than the Samsung software seems to have.

Yes, the OS updates from LG do seem to be less than hoped for in regards to major OS version updates. Their phones do get at least one major update, at least for the high-end phones.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I have an LG phone, the V20. However, I've always used Nova Launcher Prime on all my Android devices, including those that run stock Android, so whatever launchers are added by any OEMs make no difference to me.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I agree. I find LG software very useful and intuitive. Samsung is just all over the place with theirs.

Hate to say it, but you’re in the minority as far as I’m aware. LG seems like a ship slowly sinking to me. Samsung software does have more complaints (mainly because it has more users and reviewers pay more attention to it) but I for one think that OneUI is great and some Samsung apps are genuinely useful.

Back to LG, I think that hardware wise they make solid devices but are slightly overpriced. However, their devices are terrible at retaining their value so you could easily get an LG G7 for less than $450 and a V40 for around $550. Pretty good value if you don’t mind about having the best UI and software updates.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
What is soooooo bad? Oh nothing...except it was BY FAR the worst phone i ever had!!! Verizon exchanged it 3 times and each one - all they ever did was DROP CALLS!!! Even Verizon finally agreed and broke their rule and gave me a Samsung 8+ in exchange. What a relief to get rid of that POS.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
You guys have forgotten one thing about LG phones:

Their software is mediocre and they are almost never updated more than once if at all >_<

I don't agree. Updates maybe true, but their software isn't mediocre. It's actually very useful and simple. Even though I upgraded to the Note 9 recently, I honestly do miss my V30 and keep it around still. Certain things I still like more about LG compared to Samsung. Like for example their camera app. Much easier to use and more functional than the Note 9 camera app. I hate having to switch back and forth between video and picture. On the V30, never had to do that.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't agree. Updates maybe true, but their software isn't mediocre. It's actually very useful and simple. Even though I upgraded to the Note 9 recently, I honestly do miss my V30 and keep it around still. Certain things I still like more about LG compared to Samsung. Like for example their camera app. Much easier to use and more functional than the Note 9 camera app. I hate having to switch back and forth between video and picture. On the V30, never had to do that.

I agree. Certain things I did like better on the V30 than the Note 9 (which I'm using now). The only thing about it i didn't like was that the phone was total crap.

Last edited:

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
How do you figure? Because of the update slowness? It's a great device.

Maybe it was something about that phone and Verizon but that thing would constantly and i mean constantly disconnect my phone calls, every one of them the same. The Verizon boss was able to see all the disconnected calls so that's why they finally exchanged it, but i was stuck with it for a long time and it was extremely frustrating. I know I'm not the only one either. You can search V30 dropped calls and u will see. I'd rather talk into a tin can with a string. I never want anything to do with LG again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith