So the title says it... this damn smiley face is suddenly there instead of... either the mic or the attachment icon. I want it gone and whatever used to be there back. I've looked all through the options and can't find anything. Is there a way to get rid of it?
    10-09-2019 01:39 PM
    Settings/Preferences/Show emoji switch key not working?
    10-09-2019 02:02 PM
    Settings/Preferences/Show emoji switch key not working?
    That's for the one on the keyboard, this one is directly to the left of where you hit to send a message you just typed
    10-09-2019 10:03 PM
    That's for the one on the keyboard, this one is directly to the left of where you hit to send a message you just typed
    That's related to the texting app that you are using and not to the keyboard. Which phone and texting app are you using?
    SpookDroid likes this.
    10-09-2019 10:14 PM
    That's related to the texting app that you are using and not to the keyboard. Which phone and texting app are you using?
    LGV30 and the regular messages. It only appeared recently, within the last day or so. I don't see messages get updated that much but maybe I missed it. I've also looked at the settings in the main messages window... nothing there.
    10-09-2019 11:02 PM
    LGV30 and the regular messages. It only appeared recently, within the last day or so. I don't see messages get updated that much but maybe I missed it. I've also looked at the settings in the main messages window... nothing there.
    I moved your thread to the V30 forum where it'll be easier getting help from other owners.

Have you already updated to Pie?
    10-09-2019 11:05 PM
    I moved your thread to the V30 forum where it'll be easier getting help from other owners.

Have you already updated to Pie?
    Thank you Javier. I haven't updated past 8.0 because my phone never prompted me to. I didn't think you could update if the phone didn't come up with the option.

Here's a pic of exactly what I'm talking about
    Gboard smiley icon in my text entry bar-gboard.jpg
    There's already a smiley button on the keyboard, and that one in the text entry field gets in the way horribly, it's driving me crazy.
    10-10-2019 10:02 AM
    Thank you Javier. I haven't updated past 8.0 because my phone never prompted me to. I didn't think you could update if the phone didn't come up with the option.

Here's a pic of exactly what I'm talking about
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gboard.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	311407
    There's already a smiley button on the keyboard, and that one in the text entry field gets in the way horribly, it's driving me crazy.
    Yes, I know what you mean. That emoji icon is controlled by the Messages app and I don't know it can be changed unless you use a third party app. I get the same on a different phone using Google Messages app and can't find a way to remove it.
    Gboard smiley icon in my text entry bar-screenshot_20191010-120640.jpeg
    10-10-2019 10:10 AM
    That has to be something the manufacturer added, in both cases. The Pixel doesn't show it - only the + and camera to the left and a send arrow at the right.
    10-10-2019 01:32 PM
    Long shot, but it works in Samsung's keyboard.... Have you tried long-pressing the emoji? In a couple apps I've seen that pops up a selection and whatever you pick last from that (microphone, settings, emoji, etc.) is whatever 'sticks' there for the next time.

But to confirm what others have said: that's an APP thing, NOT a keyboard or Android thing. If that doesn't work, the app is at fault. If it bothers you that much, it's time to look for a 3rd party alternative (or use Google's Messages app).
    10-10-2019 01:46 PM
    Long shot, but it works in Samsung's keyboard.... Have you tried long-pressing the emoji? In a couple apps I've seen that pops up a selection and whatever you pick last from that (microphone, settings, emoji, etc.) is whatever 'sticks' there for the next time.

But to confirm what others have said: that's an APP thing, NOT a keyboard or Android thing. If that doesn't work, the app is at fault. If it bothers you that much, it's time to look for a 3rd party alternative (or use Google's Messages app).
    I've tried pressing the emoji key long, I read that and it doesn't do anything, BUT I think I know what menu your talking about with the last thing pressed being there... I'm gonna try and see if that works, if not then I just have to deal with it. Thanks everyone
    10-10-2019 02:07 PM