New V30... fast speeds?

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
My poor V30 has had a cracked screen on the upper left of the phone for awhile now. I looked at options to both fix the screen and buy another V30. It is right around the same price for both, so I am contemplating just buying a new one. You can get them from amazon for under 300 dollars new. Obviously I feel my device speed has kind of slowed down over time... But is that just because the device and processor is old? If I pick up a new device, will it be a bit speedier than my old one? It hasn't gotten to the point where it's unusable or anything, it's just a bit clunky sometimes. The battery life is still surprisingly good. Declined a little with the Pie update.

I wouldn't mind picking up the V40, but T-Mobile doesn't carry it any more, and the unlocked version they have had for awhile "on sale," at best buy for 400 dollars, is sold out online and not available in any store near me at all.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone doesn't slow down because the processor is old, it's slower than newer processors, but it's still running as fast as it did - 4 cores at 2.45 GHz and 4 at 1.9 GHz. A nw one won't be inherently faster, but if the old one is full of junk, that could be slowing it down. (A factory reset - which is effectively what you get with a new phone - would solve that. But you'd still have an old battery which, depending on how you take care of it, might need replacement soon.)

Amazon still has V40s (renewed, not new) for under $300. (And that has faster and more efficient processors.) If you have the money, the G8 is a generation newer, so even faster.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Here's the deal and this goes for app phones. I got my phone in 2018 December, my phone is still snappy and fast like day one. Why? Because one of the first things I did was disable Google Play automatic updates and only manually updated apps when I had to or wanted to.

If I decided to not do that and instead constantly maintain updated apps that usually come with new and demanding features which eventually puts greater demands on a cpu/gpu, hence the 'slow down' feeling...

For example Google maps 2018 does for me the same job as Google maps version 2019, it gets me from a to b, so why do I need to ensure that the app is updated with all the features that I probably dont desperately need. Of course my bank app refused to work without updating and I did that one, but as I said unless I have to or really want a specific feature I don't bother to update apps and for that I've kept a phone which is still snappy and still gives me 6-11 hours on screen time.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure newer versions of google maps downloads your home area, so that should be less taxing on the phone. Might be worth a look.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My poor V30 has had a cracked screen on the upper left of the phone for awhile now. I looked at options to both fix the screen and buy another V30. It is right around the same price for both, so I am contemplating just buying a new one. You can get them from amazon for under 300 dollars new. Obviously I feel my device speed has kind of slowed down over time... But is that just because the device and processor is old? If I pick up a new device, will it be a bit speedier than my old one? It hasn't gotten to the point where it's unusable or anything, it's just a bit clunky sometimes. The battery life is still surprisingly good. Declined a little with the Pie update.

I wouldn't mind picking up the V40, but T-Mobile doesn't carry it any more, and the unlocked version they have had for awhile "on sale," at best buy for 400 dollars, is sold out online and not available in any store near me at all.

Right now on swappa, you can buy a tmobile branded V30, brand new, factory sealed for 250.00. A great buy for a great phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12