Missing LG

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
So for the past year and a half almost, I've had the LG V30. It was getting a little long in the tooth.. Slow and cracked screen. I switched to the Note 9 thinking that it would be great. It's good, but honestly.. Is it strange that I miss my V30 and LG?

I really wish LG would release a device similar to the V30/V40 range. The V50 isn't even available for T-Mobile, my carrier.

Ditch the in screen finger print scanner that they are talking about with the V60/G9. Put it in on the back with a separate power button. 4000maH or bigger battery. Ton of ram and memory like 6-8 of Ram and 128 onboard memory WITH expandable storage. Put LOUD dual speakers. Not that crystal OLED crap on the G8.

I would definitely buy a phone like this. Too bad it won't happen.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a similar position, except I went from the V20 to the Razer Phone 2 (not to be confused with the new Motorola Razr). If LG released an updated V20 with better specs and front stereo speakers, I'd pounce on it in a heartbeat.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Add me to the list although the OnePlus 7 Pro has really exceeded just about all of my expectations. I really just miss the manual mode of LG devices the most. I plan on getting the V60 when announced. I just hope LG finally added manual mode to the telephoto lens. But with a 5000mAh battery and the 4 mic set-up, I already know that me and LG are on the same page as usual. I'm going to check out the S20 but I probably will skip it unless the camera quality has really improved in these models. The capabilities are enticing though.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Same here. My V20 died (microphone died, so nobody could hear me talk except on Bluetooth).

I opted for the S10+ rather than the V50, since the V50 was 5G, and I don't have 5G here. Also, the battery life, extra RAM and the display made me opt for the Samsung device.

I do miss the DAC on LG, though. I would definitely like to get another LG device in the future. However, they would need to do better on their updates, not just hardware.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
However, they would need to do better on their updates, not just hardware.

I consider lack of updates a good thing. Phones typically run best on their out of the box software. I've been plagued by loss of wanted features and glitched updates through the years, which is how I came to this conclusion. As I often say, each update is better than the next.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I consider lack of updates a good thing. Phones typically run best on their out of the box software. I've been plagued by loss of wanted features and glitched updates through the years, which is how I came to this conclusion. As I often say, each update is better than the next.
I've never found an update to be worse than out of the box software after my first two droids. That was because the software outclassed the hardware. That usually doesnt happen to today unless someone has a lot of garbage installed.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've never found an update to be worse than out of the box software after my first two droids. That was because the software outclassed the hardware. That usually doesnt happen to today unless someone has a lot of garbage installed.
Between my wife and I, we've had minor inconveniences (I.e. Changes in how things worked) to a glitch that caused a full factory reset of the phone and also reformatted the SD card in the process after doing a system update, and countless other issues in between. I can't think of a single time where an update provided something justifiably noteworthy for my uses.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Between my wife and I, we've had minor inconveniences (I.e. Changes in how things worked) to a glitch that caused a full factory reset of the phone and also reformatted the SD card in the process after doing a system update, and countless other issues in between. I can't think of a single time where an update provided something justifiably noteworthy for my uses.
Without a doubt some updates add little to no up front value. Some updates break people's phones. I've been lucky.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've never had any issues with updates on my phones, including on my LG V20.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I had the Optimus G through the G5. The Nexus 5 was in there as well. I've had the S8 and the S10 and I'm looking at the S20 kinda cross. I'm looking forward to seeing what LG has to offer in 2020.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The V60 has been announced now. I'm not overly hyped about it because it's still missing several features, but I'm definitely interested in it. I think the features it does have will be advanced enough to offset the tradeoffs compared to the V20 that it'll be a worthy phone. Not sure if I'll want the dual display case, though.

https://youtu.be/ItrBiBp37gc

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
The V60 has been announced now. I'm not overly hyped about it because it's still missing several features, but I'm definitely interested in it. I think the features it does have will be advanced enough to offset the tradeoffs compared to the V20 that it'll be a worthy phone. Not sure if I'll want the dual display case, though.

https://youtu.be/ItrBiBp37gc
I, like him, prefer the smaller device, but the software kinda looks great. At least for the camera. I'll be using Nova anyway so I'm not concerned with the interface.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Not strange at all.
I bought the S8+ but missed LG so I traded my S8+ and got the V40.
Then I missed having a Note so I got a Note 8 but kept my V40.

Now, I have a Note 9 and switch off w/the V40 from time to time. I love both phones.