I've seen many threads on this topic for Android devices generally, but have yet to find a reliable solution. More than once, I've sent a group MMS with one or more photos, only to receive the "Message Not Sent" error. It tends to happen when I'm in an area with a weak cellular signal and no wifi. Selecting re-send sometimes works. But other times it fails again. After that, the error message pops up repeatedly and unpredictably... often for WEEKS afterward.

Deleting the thread is one solution, but doesn't work if I want to keep other messages in the string. Deleting the specific message works, if it's possible. But sometimes that option is greyed-out (unavailable). I can mute alerts generally, but that means not knowing when a (real) message arrives.

I've read that switching to airplane mode for a few minutes sometimes solves the problem, but it hasn't worked for me.

Yesterday I traveled through an area with no signal for about ten minutes. Once I got back in range two old failed messages (from over a month ago) suddenly went out. So it must be something to do with synching to the servers.

Things are back to normal now, but I would be curious if anyone here has new insight. It's bound to happen again.

Thanks!
    12-03-2018 03:25 PM
    One fix (if you don't have hundreds of threads saved) is to back up everything with SMS Backup & Restore, open the backup file and learn xls (it's text, you just have to read it for a few minutes to figure out what's in it), find the particular messages you want to delete and delete them (including the beginning and end header for each one), delete all the threads, then restore. You'll get everything back except the messages you deleted from the backup file.
    sbtpdx likes this.
    12-03-2018 03:49 PM
    Thanks (belatedly) for the tip!
    12-14-2018 11:14 PM