V40 camera freezing

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Not good , only thing I can say a factory reset you'll have to try at some point.
Yes. If factory reset doesn't help, and no camera apps work, then it is a hardware problem that would require either repair at a local shop or replacement with another phone.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Not good , only thing I can say a factory reset you'll have to try at some point.

sooooo...since removing the SD card it was freezing a bit. then i restarted it and went for a long walk. i was showing my friend what the phone would do and as soon as i hit record in the camera it froze and unfroze while recording. however, since then there has been NO freezing. i'm reluctant to put the SD card in and am going to try and find a new SD card tomorrow. but the last 6 or 7 video tests have been fine without the SD card in. i wish i could say it was the card but those first videos after removing the card would freeze.

will update tomorrow after hopefully getting a replacement SD or putting the old one back in.

thank you!!

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes. If factory reset doesn't help, and no camera apps work, then it is a hardware problem that would require either repair at a local shop or replacement with another phone.

thank you. i don't think repair is an option...at least not through any official channel. i looked yesterday and the only LG listing i could find here in cape town said they only repair south african phone models. worst case scenario i use my backup G8 until i can get a phone sent from the US. :)

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I think it's hardware but I had a V20 that had an audio issue. I knew I had to reset it before sending it in for repair and it solved my problem. I would also let it update to Android 10. A real shot in the dark but nothing to lose really.

true. but on my last android running 10 i lost the camera's 'silent shutter' option which was so annoying!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
sooooo...since removing the SD card it was freezing a bit. then i restarted it and went for a long walk. i was showing my friend what the phone would do and as soon as i hit record in the camera it froze and unfroze while recording. however, since then there has been NO freezing. i'm reluctant to put the SD card in and am going to try and find a new SD card tomorrow. but the last 6 or 7 video tests have been fine without the SD card in. i wish i could say it was the card but those first videos after removing the card would freeze.

will update tomorrow after hopefully getting a replacement SD or putting the old one back in.

thank you!!
Ok good that it's been working now , yeah definitely get a new card , they known to get corrupt and cause issues like this . Your welcome!

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok good that it's been working now , yeah definitely get a new card , they known to get corrupt and cause issues like this . Your welcome!

ordered a new 256GB card. when that arrives, i'll swap it with the old one AND wipe the phone. like mike dee said, i have nothing to lose. will report back next week.

thank you!

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok , thanks for keeping us posted

there's a related issue i'm having but don't want to start a new thread or hijack someone else's....

in copying or moving files from the old SD card and broken phone to a new SD card, do i need to move folders using the phone's file manager? or can i move things around with the card plugged into my mac then reinsert the card? i tried moving a folder today from my damaged phone (V40) to my microSD and when i put it in my working phone (G8) i got duplicates and folders within folders. it looks like a bit of a mess. and i decided to stand down until my new microSD card arrives. sorry for the long winded question but how best to move files?

thank you!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
there's a related issue i'm having but don't want to start a new thread or hijack someone else's....

in copying or moving files from the old SD card and broken phone to a new SD card, do i need to move folders using the phone's file manager? or can i move things around with the card plugged into my mac then reinsert the card? i tried moving a folder today from my damaged phone (V40) to my microSD and when i put it in my working phone (G8) i got duplicates and folders within folders. it looks like a bit of a mess. and i decided to stand down until my new microSD card arrives. sorry for the long winded question but how best to move files?

thank you!
I'm not sure with lg phones but under account and back up on my Samsung I can put my SD card and back up everything there , so when you get your new sd card can u put in your LG phone to back up? If its just photos I would turn Google photos on and back them up.on the lg then log into your moto with same account and they will be there .

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure with lg phones but under account and back up on my Samsung I can put my SD card and back up everything there , so when you get your new sd card can u put in your LG phone to back up? If its just photos I would turn Google photos on and back them up.on the lg then log into your moto with same account and they will be there .

thank you. i do have a back up feature on my LG but only want to drag over certain music and picture folders to the new SD card.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok , thanks for keeping us posted

well, the new microSD card arrived today.

i put it in the V40 and the camera froze intermittently.

i took it out and factory reset the V40. and when i opened it the camera froze intermittently.

i am using my G8 now and it's fine. it's faster than the V40 but the camera isn't as good.

i'll look for a repair shop here in cape town that can replace my V40's cameras. but it seems unlikely so far.

thanks to everyone for helping.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
well, the new microSD card arrived today.

i put it in the V40 and the camera froze intermittently.

i took it out and factory reset the V40. and when i opened it the camera froze intermittently.

i am using my G8 now and it's fine. it's faster than the V40 but the camera isn't as good.

i'll look for a repair shop here in cape town that can replace my V40's cameras. but it seems unlikely so far.

thanks to everyone for helping.
Thanks for updating, yeah sounds like hardware issue, but if the Moto working great that's good

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance