V40 camera freezing

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i have noticed this for the last few weeks in the camera app and when using the camera within whatsapp. when i open the camera often the screen immediately freezes for a few seconds. sometimes it freezes until i close everything and reopen the camera. other times if i start recording a video it freezes intermittently.

i have gone into SETTINGS > APPS AND NOTIFICATIONS > APP INFO > CAMERA > STORAGE and cleared data and cache and restarted a few times. it seems to help for a bit but the problem returns.

any suggestions? i am running android 9. i think there's a 10 update available. but i bought a G8 earlier this year that ran on 10 and it was missing some features i need.

thank you!!

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, try clearing cache and then force stop whatsapp and see what happens.

cleared whatsapp cache, force stopped whatsapp, restarted phone. opened whatsapp, opened camera within a convo and it froze immediately. restarted phone again and seems to be working. will report back after a day or so.

thank you!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
cleared whatsapp cache, force stopped whatsapp, restarted phone. opened whatsapp, opened camera within a convo and it froze immediately. restarted phone again and seems to be working. will report back after a day or so.

thank you!
Your welcome! Let me know !

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Your welcome! Let me know !

i went for a long walk today and when i got to my destination i took out my camera to take pictures and videos of the dassies (an adorable creature found here in south africa). and the camera kept freezing. it wouldn't let me shoot video or stills. i tried auto camera and manual camera. whenever i would hit record it would freeze instantly or after a second. luckily the dassies stayed in one place so i had time to restart the phone. that worked. but obviously this is unsustainable. i buy LG phones for the camera beginning with the V20.

any other suggestions?

i haven't added any new apps. there have been updates to apps of course.

can i delete just the camera? or is it baked into the system? could it be my SD card??

thank you!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
i went for a long walk today and when i got to my destination i took out my camera to take pictures and videos of the dassies (an adorable creature found here in south africa). and the camera kept freezing. it wouldn't let me shoot video or stills. i tried auto camera and manual camera. whenever i would hit record it would freeze instantly or after a second. luckily the dassies stayed in one place so i had time to restart the phone. that worked. but obviously this is unsustainable. i buy LG phones for the camera beginning with the V20.

any other suggestions?

can i delete just the camera? or is it baked into the system? could it be my SD card??

thank you!

If the app is freezing, I doubt it's the SD card but it depends on what you mean by freezing. If you want to rule out the SD card change your save settings to internal storage.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
If the app is freezing, I doubt it's the SD card but it depends on what you mean by freezing. If you want to rule out the SD card change your save settings to internal storage.

freezing as in i open the camera and immediately the live view image is frozen on my screen i can't press any buttons. OR it doesn't freeze in live view, i press record to shoot a video and after a second or two the image freezes on screen...but the timer continues as if it is shooting video. it's not shooting though. the resulting video is of the frozen screen.

if i switch camera storage to internal will it move the 7,000 photos and videos on my SD card?

thank you!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

any other suggestions?

thank you!
You can clear its data and then force stop the camera and see how it behaves, if still after that put the phone in safe mode to see I'd camera still acts up.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
freezing as in i open the camera and immediately the live view image is frozen on my screen i can't press any buttons. OR it doesn't freeze in live view, i press record to shoot a video and after a second or two the image freezes on screen...but the timer continues as if it is shooting video. it's not shooting though. the resulting video is of the frozen screen.

if i switch camera storage to internal will it move the 7,000 photos and videos on my SD card?

thank you!
Doesn't sound like the SD card is the issue and changing your default storage won't move any files.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
You can clear its data and then force stop the camera and see how it behaves, if still after that put the phone in safe mode to see I'd camera still acts up.

i cleared the data + force stopped and the freezing persisted. then i put the phone in safe mode and the freezing persisted. since coming out of safe mode it's been fine. but that's only ten minutes ago. did safe mode cure my problem? :) or determine that it's a hardware issue? :(

thank you!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i cleared the data + force stopped and the freezing persisted. then i put the phone in safe mode and the freezing persisted. since coming out of safe mode it's been fine. but that's only ten minutes ago. did safe mode cure my problem? :) or determine that it's a hardware issue? :(

thank you!
Sometimes going in and out safe fixes things , don't know why but it does lol
Your welcome!

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes going in and out safe fixes things , don't know why but it does lol
Your welcome!

Doesn't sound like the SD card is the issue and changing your default storage won't move any files.

the camera (or screen) is still freezing.

i have tried the following:

clear cache and force stop whatsapp

clear data and force stop camera

safe mode

switch from SD card to internal memory

and of course numerous restarts...

is there anything else to try? if the camera won't work, it might be time for my first iphone. i looked at the V60 specs today and it appears to be much larger than the V40. and as much as i love these cameras, size matters. i have a G8 with me that i bought earlier this year. i stopped using it after a few months. it was just too big, and the camera didn't seem as good as the V40

thank you!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
the camera (or screen) is still freezing.

i have tried the following:

clear cache and force stop whatsapp

clear data and force stop camera

safe mode

switch from SD card to internal memory

and of course numerous restarts...

is there anything else to try? if the camera won't work, it might be time for my first iphone. i looked at the V60 specs today and it appears to be much larger than the V40. and as much as i love these cameras, size matters. i have a G8 with me that i bought earlier this year. i stopped using it after a few months. it was just too big, and the camera didn't seem as good as the V40

thank you!
Try taking your sd card out see if it still happening, if so then factory reset. Only 2 options left .

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Try taking your sd card out see if it still happening, if so then factory reset. Only 2 options left .

i was afraid you would say that. i didn't replace it. but i did take the SD card out blew some compressed air into the slot and then put the card back in. of course it didn't help. i hate to do a factory reset. in the past when i've had problems, i've done the reset then spent two days obsessively getting my apps and preferences back in order only to have the problem remain.

i do have the G8 as a back up. and after looking at iphone 12s today i'm not sure it's appealing enough to jump android ship...but assuming my camera (and phone) are dead. is there a comparable LG or other android that's considered to have a great camera? i know it's a tough question. they all have good cameras. and most people seem to like whichever camera is in their hand.

thanks!!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i was afraid you would say that. i didn't replace it. but i did take the SD card out blew some compressed air into the slot and then put the card back in. of course it didn't help. i hate to do a factory reset. in the past when i've had problems, i've done the reset then spent two days obsessively getting my apps and preferences back in order only to have the problem remain.

i do have the G8 as a back up. and after looking at iphone 12s today i'm not sure it's appealing enough to jump android ship...but assuming my camera (and phone) are dead. is there a comparable LG or other android that's considered to have a great camera? i know it's a tough question. they all have good cameras. and most people seem to like whichever camera is in their hand.

thanks!!
I understand on the factory reset but sometimes needed,but for sd card I like you try it without it for a few hours or a day see if it act up.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I understand on the factory reset but sometimes needed,but for sd card I like you try it without it for a few hours or a day see if it act up.

i’ll try taking the SD card out for a few hours tomorrow and see if it acts up.

if i have to factory reset will i still have android 9 when i restore? android 10 on my G8 was bad so i’ve been avoiding the update on this V40.

thank you!!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i’ll try taking the SD card out for a few hours tomorrow and see if it acts up.

if i have to factory reset will i still have android 9 when i restore? android 10 on my G8 was bad so i’ve been avoiding the update on this V40.

thank you!!
If you factory reset it still stays same Android version you had, you would need to update it or accept OTA ...ok cool let me know

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
If you factory reset it still stays same Android version you had, you would need to update it or accept OTA ...ok cool let me know

the camera has been freezing all morning. i switched the camera storage to internal and just took the SD card out. i'll let you know how it goes later today. but i suspect a factory reset is in my future. :(

thank you!!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
the camera has been freezing all morning. i switched the camera storage to internal and just took the SD card out. i'll let you know how it goes later today. but i suspect a factory reset is in my future. :(

thank you!!
Another thing you can try is to download another camera app just to see if it's the native camera app giving you grief.