08-18-2018 11:11 AM
147 ... 456
tools
    I just realized the title of this post is "What would you want to see" for the V40 -- I think we should get back to discussing the V40. It seems this has turned into another headphone jack / replaceable battery thread versus what it was actually for.
    Exactly, not sure how the conversation turned into that. I think it turned into a heated debate on features such as headphone jacks.
    06-27-2018 11:43 AM
    I just realized the title of this post is "What would you want to see" for the V40 -- I think we should get back to discussing the V40. It seems this has turned into another headphone jack / replaceable battery thread versus what it was actually for.
    I think those items were mentioned in the first post but I agree it's steered off course
    06-27-2018 12:08 PM
    Look at the pictures of the interior of the iPhone 6 Plus and the 7 Plus that I shared earlier. It clearly shows the difference in the internal layout.
    They also do not have the same physical design, they have different weights and the iPhone 8 models are different sizes and weights. The 7 introduced IP67 water resistance, which caused them to change several aspects of the interior design. IP67 and IP68 are both possible with the headphone port, but its easier to do ingress protection with fewer openings, especially conductive openings. Laptops have WAY more space in them than phones do, they're not even in the same universe.
    It is possible to make a phone which is a reasonable size and fits everything in the case and still includes the headphone socket. Check out all the phones that do so.
    06-27-2018 12:43 PM
    Exactly, not sure how the conversation turned into that. I think it turned into a heated debate on features such as headphone jacks.
    This was absolutely on topic, and we have a clear conclusion... LG should include a headphone socket on the V40!
    06-27-2018 12:45 PM
    I agree, Apple thinks it's either easier or cheaper to skip it.
    It is possible to make a phone which is a reasonable size and fits everything in the case and still includes the headphone socket. Check out all the phones that do so.
    06-27-2018 12:45 PM
    If LG doesnt change their marketing and supply chain strategy, improve the camera in auto and provide timely updates, they won't sell many units regardless of what else they include in the V40
    06-27-2018 01:15 PM
    For the LG V40 what I want to see is the following:

Keep wireless charging, keep headphone port, upgrade the USB Type C port to support USB 3.1 and USB Power Delivery; doing so with QuickCharge 4.0 is fine.
    Keep the quad DAC, it's not broke, don't fix it.
    SIGNIFICANTLY improve the camera in auto-mode. Keep manual controls.
    Upgrade the V30's display, do not switch back to LCD, Google and Apple are spending billions to improve your LED tech - so take advantage of it.
    Get rid of the extra button(s) seen in some recent LG devices.
    SIGNIFICANTLY improve the software. It's completely broken, fix soon please.
    I would love to see a return to plastic or rubberized back materials, really not enthusiastic about all glass phones. Leather would be cool too.
    Please, please please start supporting the phone with timely updates and start incorporating all of the security features available with each android launch.
    06-27-2018 01:22 PM

Keep wireless charging, keep headphone port, upgrade the USB Type C port to support USB 3.1 and USB Power Delivery; doing so with QuickCharge 4.0 is fine.
    Upgrade the V30's display, do not switch back to LCD, Google and Apple are spending billions to improve your LED tech - so take advantage of it.
    Get rid of the extra button(s) seen in some recent LG devices.
    SIGNIFICANTLY improve the software. It's completely broken, fix soon please.
    I would love to see a return to plastic or rubberized back materials, really not enthusiastic about all glass phones. Leather would be cool too.
    Please, please please start supporting the phone with timely updates and start incorporating all of the security features available with each android launch.
    I believe they already committed to AMOLED
    06-27-2018 01:25 PM
    Google and Apple are spending billions to improve your LED tech - so take advantage of it.
    LG and Samsung are the ones spending "billions" to improve OLED technology. They actually make the panels. :-)
    06-27-2018 01:26 PM
    LG and Samsung are the ones spending "billions" to improve OLED technology. They actually make the panels. :-)
    Right, but Google and Apple dropped literal billions in LG's laps to build out. Samsung is selling as many as they make, so that one is them developing for themselves and on behalf of others.
    06-27-2018 01:30 PM
    Right, but Google and Apple dropped literal billions in LG's laps to build out. Samsung is selling as many as they make, so that one is them developing for themselves and on behalf of others.
    LG and Samsung (and a few others) have been spending the money and doing the hard work of actually developing OLED as a technology for over a decade. They have put up the staggering amounts of money it takes to put up an OLED panel factory.

Apple and Google (and others) buy the displays. I am not aware that they put in any cash up front or took on any risk, whatever their marketing departments would like you to think.
    06-27-2018 01:34 PM
    Flat screen. 16:9 ratio. LED notifications. ir blaster back

I know I will get none of the things I want.
    06-27-2018 01:42 PM
    LG and Samsung (and a few others) have been spending the money and doing the hard work of actually developing OLED as a technology for over a decade. They have put up the staggering amounts of money it takes to put up an OLED panel factory.

Apple and Google (and others) buy the displays. I am not aware that they put in any cash up front or took on any risk, whatever their marketing departments would like you to think.
    This is an example of what I was referencing. Apple is reportedly investing $2.7 billion in LG Display to build OLED panels for future iPhones - Business Insider

I'm really hoping this helps LG improve their own device displays as well.
    06-27-2018 01:45 PM
    Flat screen. 16:9 ratio. LED notifications. ir blaster back

I know I will get none of the things I want.
    I really want the flat display too.
    recDNA likes this.
    06-27-2018 01:45 PM
    This is an example of what I was referencing. Apple is reportedly investing $2.7 billion in LG Display to build OLED panels for future iPhones - Business Insider

I'm really hoping this helps LG improve their own device displays as well.
    Well, let's see. So far, Apple buys OLED screens from Samsung. Also, I wouldn't trust the numbers in that article. It says:

The Cupertino company is allegedly going to pay the large sum in advance to secure up to 45,000 units from the Korean display maker, which will begin production of the panels in 2019.
    45,000 units for $2.7 billion is $60,000 per panel. I know the iPhone 10 is expensive but I doubt even the most ardent Apple fanboy is going to pay that kind of money for a phone.
    06-27-2018 01:56 PM
    Well, let's see. So far, Apple buys OLED screens from Samsung. Also, I wouldn't trust the numbers in that article. It says:

45,000 units for $2.7 billion is $60,000 per panel. I know the iPhone 10 is expensive but I doubt even the most ardent Apple fanboy is going to pay that kind of money for a phone.
    That's a 45,000 per month allocation in the source article.
    06-27-2018 02:17 PM
    That's a 45,000 per month allocation in the source article.
    Aha, the original article says:

With the latest funding, LG Display's OLED production will reach 45,000 units of the sixth-generation OLED panel monthly. Of the total, Apple orders are likely to make up at least 30,000 units, sources said.
    Can I ask, do you see anything odd about those numbers? Because they are obviously wrong, and wrong by a MASSIVE amount.
    06-27-2018 02:24 PM
    Aha, the original article says:

Can I ask, do you see anything odd about those numbers? Because they are obviously wrong, and wrong by a MASSIVE amount.
    Those are mother glass, which are the largest sheets of glass that can be created, and then displays are cut from that.
    06-27-2018 02:33 PM
    As an example, one motherglass might be cut to make 6 or 7 75" televisions.
    pdr733 likes this.
    06-27-2018 02:40 PM
    Those are mother glass, which are the largest sheets of glass that can be created, and then displays are cut from that.
    Very good!
    pdr733 likes this.
    06-27-2018 02:41 PM
    Yeah they said that and then released the V30S ThinQ right before the G7 announcement and have a rumored V35 going exclusively to ATT. Even LG doesn't know what their plan is.
    RaRa85 likes this.
    08-18-2018 11:10 AM

RaRa85 likes this.
    08-18-2018 11:11 AM
147 ... 456