LG V40, what would you want to see?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The G7 ThinQ wasn't that bad actually despite the annoying notch, they did add lots of improvements. People complain about battery size but honestly, the Snapdragon 845 plus newest Android OS is much more efficient nowadays so a 4000mAh wouldn't be feasible.

What I expect to see on the V40:

• Dual Pixel technology finally? Why isn't LG aggressively focusing on the camera? It's not that it's bad, just lacks the wow factor.. plus their "auto mode" lacks. They need a strong software development team to create better post processing algorithms (like Google's Pixel or iPhone) plus invest in better camera hardware. The G7 ThinQ auto photo detection wasn't good according to the previews and didn't improve the photo.

• 21MP camera. Sony has a very high resolution camera, this would be very cool if they can do it. Maybe have a partnership with Sony and they'll cut LG a deal on the camera? Cropped photos would look great! No more pixelation.

• WIDER angle cameras (front and rear).. the wide angle POV had shrunk starting with the V30... the V30 had a narrower front selfie and rear 2nd camera (due to the complaint about the distortion). I REALLY liked the V20's super wide FRONT selfie despite the quality being a little bit low, now on the G7 it just doesn't look cool anymore being so narrow.. I'm OK with distortion, just crop the photo if you don't like it. That's what wide angle cameras do anyways (like on the GoPro). The ultra wide front selfie is one of the most used feature on my V20.

• Return of IPS LCD (or an upgraded type of LCD). I just don't like AMOLED despite using them for over 6 years, just something doesn't feel right looking at an AMOLED panel.. colors are over saturated and whites never look truly white. Plus, I can use Waze or Google Maps with full brightness for hours without the fear of burn-in. Glad LG brought it back with the G7 ThinQ.. reviewers have said that it looked amazing.

• Return of removable batteries.. this has been long debated. Some people want it, some people don't care. I know... I HIGHLY DOUBT they would do it, but one could only dream. Who knows, maybe they'll blow us away with something.. removable back glass phone, possibly swappable colors too? The fact that you can change the color of the back would be a selling point already, plus the removable battery. This would gain the loyalty of long time LG fans and a guarantee that I'll switch. I don't care about wireless charging.. it's slow, heats up and damages your battery over time, and pointless especially if there's Quick Charge 3.0 plus USB C, even a monkey can plug it in. Plus, you have to set it PERFECTLY on the right spot or it won't charge.

• Quick Charge 4.0... I really like how LG included Quick Charge 3.0 starting with the G5.. it's VERY fast and now that QC 4.0 is available, I don't see why they won't include it. It's Qualcomm's technology and it's really good.. no need to worry about small batteries if you can charge it super fast.

• Octa DAC? Is that even possible? Why not break the mold and embarrass the other phones without a 3.5mm jack, and blow every single one of them out the water? The Quad DAC was very well received by audiophiles, yes the 3.5mm jack is still loved and still used by many.. feel sorry when I see people with those dongles.. so sad. Take 1st place with the best audio experience... Nothing wrong with having both Bluetooth AND a 3.5mm jack. Some manufactures will never learn or listen to their customers (RIP HTC, Motorola, and Essential).

• Boombox Sound (just like the G7). I really can't wait for this to be on the V40... I watch a lot of YouTube videos and the experience would be so much better. Also, make the front speaker work as a loud speaker so you have sound coming from the front and bottom.

• Return of 2nd screen.. NO NOTCH! LG was trying something different and it was working. What they need to do is build upon it.. it was great but was lacking a lot of customizable options. If it's going to be an LCD, then there's no excuse for not having it. Maybe have the 2nd screen fill the entire top of the screen so we get a longer and bigger 2nd screen instead of a square cutout? Just put the camera next to the front speaker. ALSO, maybe replace the entire 2nd screen for the Android notification bar entirely?

• New theme? I'm getting tired of LG's cartoon theme. Maybe hire an artist to redesign and refresh LG's theme? Their icons and OS never looks as "clean" as Google's themes or even Samsung now. Minimalistic is the new trend and what people like, make everything symmetrical like how Google puts everything in a circle.

• Here's also a good idea: make it optional to switch between LG's theme and pure Android. Now that would be a selling point since a lot of people prefer pure Android but as default, keep it LG's theme.

• Flat screen display... See how Apple manages to make all their phones flat but still maintain a small 2.5d curve on the edges? Apple knows that people LOVE accessories including tempered glass screen protectors.. this would also help LG because manufactures could provide screen protectors without the hassle of trying to put a screen protector on a curved screen (ahem, Samsung). Listen to the customers, they WANT to install a glass screen protector! The V30 was a pain, it's incredibly difficult and most of them just don't work due to the annoying curved screen.

• Include the Google Assistant button BUT make it entirely customizable! Why NOT!? That would just be so awesome, just like the older Galaxy Active phones.. either quick press, long press, or double press you can activate 3 different apps... Heck you can even use it as a camera shutter button. This is a selling point and it'll be very useful.

A 3.5 jack has nothing to do with the quality of a DAC.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So you just completely skipped over my section on lens resolving power, huh? Because pretty much everything you just praised about 21MP was already addressed in my comment earlier.

In addition to what you mention the OP also doesn't understand that there is a point of diminishing returns by increasing megapixels on such a small sensor.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, what you said did not support the conclusion that he reached 9 years ago before the first hundred thousand times it was explained that in photography in general, and especially on smartphones, megapixels is a number that's not even positively correlated with image quality, let alone the single driving factor of excellent camera performance.
True, but other people are reading these threads and my comments are more for them to see the other side of the coin than trying to convince a single member with steadfast opinions not based on how photography actually works.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
What I want to see: a larger sensor for one. The G7 has the hardware to do 4k60fps and 240fps1080p but it's strangely missing from it. Every 2018 flagship has these capabilities. So if LG does not enable the G7 to do this it needs to be there in the V40. Also I really want to see LG's "Steady Record" stabilization match what's present on say a OnePlus 6, Galaxy S9, Huawei P20 Pro, iPhone X, and Pixel 2. The video from these phones are gymbal optional as far as walking while they're more of a necessity with LG phones unless you edit in post. Everything else is already there in terms of hardware and design wise going back to the V30. However a better OLED panel would be great as well. I may even end up just getting the V35 as it already has the better processor and front facing camera. Bonus would be a 3500mAh battery.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A little better camera, my V30 isn't bad but could do better low light and night shots, and please LG, put a 4000 mah battery in it, it will fit. My V30 battery life isn't terrible but but on busy days working field service it would be nice not to have to think about battery life. Still the V30 is better than my Note 8, that phone never makes it through a busy day. Really am not impressed with the Note 8 but stuck with it till I pay down my balance enough to sell it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
A little better camera, my V30 isn't bad but could do better low light and night shots, and please LG, put a 4000 mah battery in it, it will fit. My V30 battery life isn't terrible but but on busy days working field service it would be nice not to have to think about battery life. Still the V30 is better than my Note 8, that phone never makes it through a busy day. Really am not impressed with the Note 8 but stuck with it till I pay down my balance enough to sell it.

The camera just needs better software.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you photo edit on an AMOLED display, it will turn out different when viewed on an LCD, one of the problems I encountered when I had an AMOLED screen phone. Skin tones look too warm, whites just don't look white enough to me.

The reverse is also true: If you photo edit on an LCD it will turn out different when viewed on AMOLED. Unless of course both screens are calibrated accurately in which case it makes no difference.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The reverse is also true: If you photo edit on an LCD it will turn out different when viewed on AMOLED. Unless of course both screens are calibrated accurately in which case it makes no difference.
And when you photo edit on a calibrated computer monitor, it'll look bad on all mobile devices. Lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
And when you photo edit on a calibrated computer monitor, it'll look bad on all mobile devices. Lol

Yeah....I really don't worry much about color accuracy for snapshots. I try to just enjoy the photos. If I'm printing or posting for the sake of others I might tweak a bit. Life's too short to worry about these things.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The colors are too warm, the contrast is higher, so the AMOLED screen can be confusing for a photo editor. Skin tones look warmer than real life, so it throws you off.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
1. better chipset 845
2. Keep 3.5mm
3. Removable batteries
4. Bigger battery 3500mh

It may use the Snapdragon 845 chip, unless they can get the next gen chip sooner... Usually the V series uses the same parts as the G series (depending on the supplies available) but with a little more extra features plus a larger phone size overall. I expect at least 3300 mAh but as technology improves, the need for a giant battery is no longer needed. They are developing a new type of battery that lasts longer, but we won't see that anytime soon. One of the primary focus of the V series is video (hence, the letter V) or content creation. That's why they have 3 omnidirectional mics, and an enhanced manual control video recording app. If you pay attention to the last 3 V series commercials (starring Joseph Gordon Levitt), it was all about user content creation. So expect a new video recording feature or something related. They need to go back to the 'wider' angle camera.. why did people complain about the distortion? That's normal for a wide angle.. idiots.. now we have a more narrow wide angle.. (I LOVE the super duper wide front selfie of the V20.. extremely useful.. who cares about an 8MP selfie, do you really want to show off your wrinkles and blemishes?). I expect LG to go back to using LCD since they developed the upgraded IPS LCD with the ultra bright mode feature (not possible with an AMOLED) and I'm sure they want to continue using that as a selling point (1000 nits brightness).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The colors are too warm, the contrast is higher, so the AMOLED screen can be confusing for a photo editor. Skin tones look warmer than real life, so it throws you off.

You have know idea about what I was saying and all you do is continue with your preconceived diatribe.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks