Determining factor on upgrading to the LG V40

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Now with the $1000 priced Galaxy Note 9 officially unveiled by Samsung my attention now turns to the LG V40. This is really the device I'm looking forward to this year. To keep it short and simple my choices are simple: either I'll love the V40 and upgrade or I'll be disappointed and go for the V30. I'm already inclined to lean toward the V30 for the more dramatically wide 120 degree wide angle camera compared to the reduced 107 degree camera used in the G7. The extra degrees do make a difference to me but the added resolution kinda evens the field to some level.

But the main two things I will be looking for to see improved in the V40 is LG's use of brand new sensors for the V40's cameras and a concrete release date. With an estimated end of August launch date, I need the V40 to be available by the 21st of September as I'm going on a pretty special trip and want the best camera in my pocket to capture the journey. And that pretty much sums up whether I'll upgrade to the V40 or not. I need to know that LG has put effort into taking the cameras a level further and I need to know that I can have the phone when I need it.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well I do have the V30+ and it's great but I'll be watching for the V40 too.

I'd like to be wowed frankly. The Note 9 sounds like it's gonna be a breast but I'm just about locked into the wide angle camera. It's so incredibly useful. Just don't know if I would want to do without it now

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I feel the same way. I'm also leaning towards the V30 cause I do have some summer fun coming up and as serviceable the Lumia 1020 has been as a dedicated camera, the issues with focusing times and misses has really been frustrating for any type of dynamic situations. And the video functions show the age the most being so outdated and not being able to control much of anything. I've got Hershey Park coming up in two weeks. I don't know. I may have the V30 by then and maybe just wait it out for another phone in 2019-2020 some time. Sounds crazy just even to say that. Time is moving fast.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The V30's screen was a big disappointment to me. I had tons of streaking and graininess when viewing in low light. A clean display alone would be enticing for me. LG needs to keep the pricing down too. They don't have the juice to put out phones at or above $1K.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Now with the $1000 priced Galaxy Note 9 officially unveiled by Samsung my attention now turns to the LG V40. This is really the device I'm looking forward to this year. To keep it short and simple my choices are simple: either I'll love the V40 and upgrade or I'll be disappointed and go for the V30. I'm already inclined to lean toward the V30 for the more dramatically wide 120 degree wide angle camera compared to the reduced 107 degree camera used in the G7. The extra degrees do make a difference to me but the added resolution kinda evens the field to some level.

But the main two things I will be looking for to see improved in the V40 is LG's use of brand new sensors for the V40's cameras and a concrete release date. With an estimated end of August launch date, I need the V40 to be available by the 21st of September as I'm going on a pretty special trip and want the best camera in my pocket to capture the journey. And that pretty much sums up whether I'll upgrade to the V40 or not. I need to know that LG has put effort into taking the cameras a level further and I need to know that I can have the phone when I need it.

I didnt find the V30 much of an improvement over the V20 in terms of camera. I would probably get the V40 if I were in your position.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Just curious - why do people talk about the V30, but not the V35?
For one the V35 is overpriced and the battery life is not as good compared to the V30 because of the SD845 chip which hasn't proven to be more efficient than the SD835. Maybe the Pixel 3 will buck that trend. And lastly, probably a small gripe but the loss of the 13 degrees in the wide angle camera and the inability to switch between the normal and wide angle lens during recording is a small step backwards to me. But I like that they improved the front facing camera and gained 4k60fps capabilities.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I didnt find the V30 much of an improvement over the V20 in terms of camera. I would probably get the V40 if I were in your position.
I would like to but from what I've seen on Instagram, the V30's major upgrade over the V20 was in lens clarity and the wide angle camera with far less barrel distortion and the wider f/1.9. I could install Google camera for better selfies and portrait mode and HDR+ for situations that I didn't want to shoot in manual. The V40 is a big mystery and at almost two weeks to the rumored announcement, LG hasn't sent out any official invites. May turn out to be another private event.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm on an S8. After many LG devices (Optimus G, Nexus 5, G4, G5) it's my first Samsung phone. I've got the itch to upgrade and the V40 is tops on my list. I like the G7, but I've become spoiled on the OLED panel. This is a determining factor for me. That and the quad dac.

I am eagerly awaiting a leak of some sort, showing the phone off a bit.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I would really like to see some leaks too....LG is playing it very close to the vest on the V40. I have to say, the Note 9 has my attention, I'm just uncertain about the sound quality with wired headphones / in-ear monitors.

In terms of V40 features, I've seen some rumors about it having a notch screen and some rumors that indicate no notch. A notched screen would be disappointing to me. Other than that, a bigger battery and / or better battery life would be a major plus over previous V series phones. Also, an OLED screen that can compete with Samsung. I know LG can do it.

Anyway, my two cents.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Numerous reports point to an October release date which is unfortunate. Don't really know how I feel about the notch since every freaking phone outside of Samsung seems to be jumping on board. I may get a cheap V10 to hold me over. Problem is by the time the V40 is available the Pixel 3 will be announced and timely launched within the same time frame. Depending on what Google can do with one lens I may end up getting that instead but the smaller, non notched Pixel 3.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I would really like to see some leaks too....LG is playing it very close to the vest on the V40. I have to say, the Note 9 has my attention, I'm just uncertain about the sound quality with wired headphones / in-ear monitors.

In terms of V40 features, I've seen some rumors about it having a notch screen and some rumors that indicate no notch. A notched screen would be disappointing to me. Other than that, a bigger battery and / or better battery life would be a major plus over previous V series phones. Also, an OLED screen that can compete with Samsung. I know LG can do it.

Anyway, my two cents.
I'm actually kinda glad there haven't been man y leaks but I'd like to see some sample photos or something from LG. The problem and lack of wow factor for the Note 9 is that is was basically leaked to death. By the time Samsung unveiled it, everybody already knew what to expect.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Numerous reports point to an October release date which is unfortunate. Don't really know how I feel about the notch since every freaking phone outside of Samsung seems to be jumping on board. I may get a cheap V10 to hold me over. Problem is by the time the V40 is available the Pixel 3 will be announced and timely launched within the same time frame. Depending on what Google can do with one lens I may end up getting that instead but the smaller, non notched Pixel 3.

Personally, I'm not interested in the Pixel 3 or any phone that does not have a headphone jack. Wireless is getting better but wired is still the king, if you are concerned with sound quality. And....LG does the headphone jack justice with it's internal dedicated DAC. That is what keeps me coming back to LG.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I'm not interested in the Pixel 3 or any phone that does not have a headphone jack. Wireless is getting better but wired is still the king, if you are concerned with sound quality. And....LG does the headphone jack justice with it's internal dedicated DAC. That is what keeps me coming back to LG.
Such a great point. I absolutely loved the HiFi DAC on the V10 and V20. The listening experience was always so good. That's a huge feature I miss while waiting for the V40 or V30. I also miss the audio recording capabilities of the V series. I used my phone as a legit sound recorderfor a lot of scenarios and that's a drawback of the Pixel line. They only record in mono and still probably some of the worst on a flagship. On the flip side you get buttery smooth OIS-EIS stabilization in video and a way better built-in slow motion mode with the Pixels. LG has always been behind in these areas.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I would like to but from what I've seen on Instagram, the V30's major upgrade over the V20 was in lens clarity and the wide angle camera with far less barrel distortion and the wider f/1.9. I could install Google camera for better selfies and portrait mode and HDR+ for situations that I didn't want to shoot in manual. The V40 is a big mystery and at almost two weeks to the rumored announcement, LG hasn't sent out any official invites. May turn out to be another private event.

If I recall correctly the barrel distortion was rectified just because they trimmed the wide angle a bit. The V30 didn't take bad pictures but the HDR didn't meet my expectations. Of course now I'm spoiled by the Pixel. I do miss the wide angle though.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
If I recall correctly the barrel distortion was rectified just because they trimmed the wide angle a bit. The V30 didn't take bad pictures but the HDR didn't meet my expectations. Of course now I'm spoiled by the Pixel. I do miss the wide angle though.
Oh yeah the Pixel takes amazing HDR pics. Still love their portrait mode selfies over everything else too.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the cameras were upgraded. Still need to see real world samples as the software plays a big part as well.
https://www.androidpit.com/exclusive-lg-v40-techincal-specs?amp=true
No release date mentioned.
c0b774efe8d661cd26587a6caf6f0761.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey