Nope.

For the price it simply isn't attractive. Nothing is in the $1,000 range.

The incremental improvement over the previous generations is extremely small but the price is 2-3x as large. That makes it utterly silly from an economic perspective.

If you buy things to "virtue signal" your wealth, well, have at it. If you buy them for utility then there's nothing in the last two generations of handsets that makes them interesting and this will not change until Band 71 becomes important on T-Mobile, which is still a couple of years off. At THAT point there will be something in the "two years old" realm that HAS Band 71, so the wise man who is on that carrier in the US waits.

If you're NOT on T-Mobile or not in the US at all then it's even less-relevant.
    Where'd we get the $1000 price tag from? I think LG knows better. At least they should. I think at $800-850 even $900 at the max it will offer a lot more than mostly everyone except Samsung which still offer a lot hardware wise.
    09-12-2018 09:30 PM
    I would consider upgrading from my current LG G6 after reading some on hands reviews and seeing the phone in person. Also, the price would need to be less than $900.
    Morty2264 and RaRa85 like this.
    09-13-2018 05:15 AM
    I would consider upgrading from my current LG G6 after reading some on hands reviews and seeing the phone in person. Also, the price would need to be less than $900.
    I'm sure LG will have promos and such for it. I agree, I'd consider it if I could snag it for a more decent price.
    09-13-2018 07:42 AM
    Tempting. Very tempting but that price sucks
    09-13-2018 08:35 AM
    Where'd we get the $1000 price tag from? I think LG knows better. At least they should. I think at $800-850 even $900 at the max it will offer a lot more than mostly everyone except Samsung which still offer a lot hardware wise.
    And with V20s available "close to brand new" for $200ish you're spending four times as much. What do you get for the four times as much money?

A slightly better camera implementation (maybe), a sealed battery you can't replace (meh) when it wears out, water resistance, a somewhat faster processor and a newer design. The faster processor, however, is much like the "faster" processor in a PC -- unless you're in the 1% of the user population that actually stresses the processor in your current device you'll never see the difference in performance.

The water resistance is worth something but I can destroy TWO V20s by drowning them and still be ahead price-wise. Since I haven't drowned a device in the last decade this is a bad deal for me.

I just don't see the argument for any of the new devices. You get into the $400-500 range and bring me something I can actually use (e.g. dual SIM, both active) and suddenly I like the idea because now I'm buying utility value. But short of that no thanks.

I gave my V20 to my adult kid (she loves it) when I picked up an Essential PH-1 on "prime day" for $250. The PH-1 isn't really any faster than the V20 despite having better specs. Why did I buy the PH-1? The V20 is just a bit too big for me. I can tolerate it, but it's right in the boundary between "slightly obnoxiously large" and "too large", and the PH-1 is below that threshold. It has Pie on it now as well and I write apps so I know what the differences are between the last several major Android releases on an internal, code level (as I have to deal with them); there is no material difference between Oreo and Pie internally and, having used both now on the PH-1, there isn't much of one from a user interface and experience perspective either. And the PH-1 has USB-PD support which charges outrageously fast without heating; it can fill from ~20% -> 80% in well under an hour (I have Accubattery installed and unplug at 80%) and with Oreo (and now Pie) on it returns ~30 hours in mixed use and 8 hours SOT on a charge.

I'd buy a V40 if it didn't trip my "obnoxiously large" filter, had something in it that was materially superior to the V20 and/or PH-1 and was under $500. But it won't be anywhere near that latter threshold, with expectations being that it will be reaching for close to or at double that price-tag, at which point it becomes completely unattractive to me.

Same thing with my desktop and laptop computers. I've had no compelling reason to upgrade either for more than five years since while I CAN get more CPU and such today the difference in actual user experience is small to non-existent so why would I spend the money when my current devices are in good working order? The (large) expenditure of money doesn't get me anything other than virtue signalling that I can afford to waste funds on "bling."
    09-13-2018 09:19 AM
    It's all speculation at this point. However, IMO, anything at $900.00 USD or above is in the $1000.00 range. At that price point it becomes a financial decision and not an impulse buy, at least for me.

Update - Here is a quote from an Androidcentral article on the V40:

"LG V10 — $600
    LG V20 — $830
    LG V30 — $800
    LG V30S — $930
    LG V35 — $900

LG's been steadily increasing the price of its V phones with just about every release, and based on the most recent V30S and V35, I think it's safe to say that the V40 will cost around $900 and possibly cross that $1000 threshold.

The V series has never been cheap and the V40 won't be an exception to that rule."
    09-13-2018 11:07 AM
    LG V20 — $830
    Unless you got the Verizon version. Full price on it was about $670 without any additional offers or trade in credits.
    09-13-2018 12:19 PM
    Let's not forget that damn near every LG phone gets discounted near 50% not long after launch.

My payment on my daughter's G6 is only $4.75 a month because I waited a couple weeks after it launched to purchase.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-13-2018 02:20 PM
    And with V20s available "close to brand new" for $200ish you're spending four times as much. What do you get for the four times as much money?

A slightly better camera implementation (maybe), a sealed battery you can't replace (meh) when it wears out, water resistance, a somewhat faster processor and a newer design. The faster processor, however, is much like the "faster" processor in a PC -- unless you're in the 1% of the user population that actually stresses the processor in your current device you'll never see the difference in performance.

The water resistance is worth something but I can destroy TWO V20s by drowning them and still be ahead price-wise. Since I haven't drowned a device in the last decade this is a bad deal for me.

I just don't see the argument for any of the new devices. You get into the $400-500 range and bring me something I can actually use (e.g. dual SIM, both active) and suddenly I like the idea because now I'm buying utility value. But short of that no thanks.

I gave my V20 to my adult kid (she loves it) when I picked up an Essential PH-1 on "prime day" for $250. The PH-1 isn't really any faster than the V20 despite having better specs. Why did I buy the PH-1? The V20 is just a bit too big for me. I can tolerate it, but it's right in the boundary between "slightly obnoxiously large" and "too large", and the PH-1 is below that threshold. It has Pie on it now as well and I write apps so I know what the differences are between the last several major Android releases on an internal, code level (as I have to deal with them); there is no material difference between Oreo and Pie internally and, having used both now on the PH-1, there isn't much of one from a user interface and experience perspective either. And the PH-1 has USB-PD support which charges outrageously fast without heating; it can fill from ~20% -> 80% in well under an hour (I have Accubattery installed and unplug at 80%) and with Oreo (and now Pie) on it returns ~30 hours in mixed use and 8 hours SOT on a charge.

I'd buy a V40 if it didn't trip my "obnoxiously large" filter, had something in it that was materially superior to the V20 and/or PH-1 and was under $500. But it won't be anywhere near that latter threshold, with expectations being that it will be reaching for close to or at double that price-tag, at which point it becomes completely unattractive to me.

Same thing with my desktop and laptop computers. I've had no compelling reason to upgrade either for more than five years since while I CAN get more CPU and such today the difference in actual user experience is small to non-existent so why would I spend the money when my current devices are in good working order? The (large) expenditure of money doesn't get me anything other than virtue signalling that I can afford to waste funds on "bling."
    I get your points but I can tell you're probably not the target audience for who this phone is for. I had both the V10 with terrible battery life that absolutely needed the removable battery and the V20 which had very decent to very good battery life. In fact I would still have my V20 right now if the camera app didn't stop failing me and freezing and rebooting when I needed it most or even just randomly. The battery life was reliable enough on the V20 that I didn't even need the removable battery so that was nice non issue for me. But the camera is one of my number one factors in which phone I get. It seems as if LG is going with a larger sensor and pixel size for the main camera with an even faster f/1.5 aperture. That alone is an automatic upgrade for me over the V20. This should not only put the V40 on par with the competition but even ahead if LG does a little fine tuning. Even so, the best manual mode is available if LG has not quite gotten it right. But also the fact that we'll get a wide angle and telephoto lens all in one package! Sign me up. This versatility puts the V40 in a class of it's own as far flexibility. The P20 Pro is just as versatile but I think the B&W sensor could be done away with for a different focal length or wide angle like LG. Also the front facing camera has already been improved on the G7 with built in portrait mode for both the rear and front cameras. I will miss the IR blaster but that just means I'll have to keep up with my remotes. The software quick toggles are much easier to use one handed than the second screen so that's an equal compromise for me. So there's really nothing the V20 has that would keep me tied to it compared to the V40.

Everything else is just a bonus. Faster chipset and better processing power. Hopefully improved P-OLED screen. We'll see if Project Treble helps with improving update speed and consistency but since Android Nougat, the OS as is already has everything I need so that's not a huge deal to me.

But it's all about the multimedia experience and it looks to get even better with the V40 also for audio as well with the Boombox plus stereo speakers. So this is really the whole package. The best phone of 2018 for me(especially if LG gets everything right). So while I can understand why you wouldn't see it as an upgrade. I do. Most people don't make cinematic videos with their devices but I'm in that category. Two videos I did with the V10 and V20 respectively. And funny thing is I'm using a V10 again until the V40 comes out so I have another video I'm working on. Enjoy.

09-13-2018 03:16 PM
    It's all speculation at this point. However, IMO, anything at $900.00 USD or above is in the $1000.00 range. At that price point it becomes a financial decision and not an impulse buy, at least for me.

Update - Here is a quote from an Androidcentral article on the V40:

"LG V10 — $600
    LG V20 — $830
    LG V30 — $800
    LG V30S — $930
    LG V35 — $900

LG's been steadily increasing the price of its V phones with just about every release, and based on the most recent V30S and V35, I think it's safe to say that the V40 will cost around $900 and possibly cross that $1000 threshold.

The V series has never been cheap and the V40 won't be an exception to that rule."
    That is true so we'll see I'm hoping they make a smart decision though. The V line isn't exactly the biggest seller although people like me absolutely love them.
    09-13-2018 03:18 PM
    Let's not forget that damn near every LG phone gets discounted near 50% not long after launch.

My payment on my daughter's G6 is only $4.75 a month because I waited a couple weeks after it launched to purchase.
    You're right - LG is notorious for price drops. Phooey, now you're convincing me to upgrade early! 🤣
    mwake4goten likes this.
    09-14-2018 07:54 AM
    And the 3300mAh V30 still outlasts it. We just have to wait and see if LG managed to maximize the SD845 or not because it is not as power efficient as the SD835 even though they claimed it would be.
    Just don't use 5G internet and don't watch a 4K video at 60fps (both features supported by 845). The Snapdragon 845 should be more efficient but probably not that different than 835.. it's both using 10nm processors but the 845 is 2nd gen, which is what makes it energy efficient (nano sized).

"The all-new premium mobile CPU retains the same 10nm footprint as its predecessor, but boasts a revamped architecture.

These tweaks have enabled some exciting new features – like 4K HDR video capture on smartphones and improved Artificial Intelligence (AI) processing.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 will also offer improved power consumption, which should result in markedly better battery life for your new smartphone.

Overall, the Snapdragon 845 consumes 30 per cent less power than the 835."

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ltra-HD-Camera

"Battery life is another key upgrade, with the new Snapdragon promising almost one-third power reduction for energy-hungry features like video capture, AR/VR and gaming."

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/06/qu...-battery-life/

A 4000mAh battery is no longer necessary... Maybe it was awesome 2 years ago.. in 2018/2019 devices are much more energy efficient and battery is lasting much longer. It's better to have a slim and lightweight phone than a brick.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-15-2018 06:11 PM
    Just don't use 5G internet and don't watch a 4K video at 60fps (both features supported by 845). The Snapdragon 845 should be more efficient but probably not that different than 835.. it's both using 10nm processors but the 845 is 2nd gen, which is what makes it energy efficient (nano sized).

"The all-new premium mobile CPU retains the same 10nm footprint as its predecessor, but boasts a revamped architecture.

These tweaks have enabled some exciting new features – like 4K HDR video capture on smartphones and improved Artificial Intelligence (AI) processing.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 will also offer improved power consumption, which should result in markedly better battery life for your new smartphone.

Overall, the Snapdragon 845 consumes 30 per cent less power than the 835."

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ltra-HD-Camera

"Battery life is another key upgrade, with the new Snapdragon promising almost one-third power reduction for energy-hungry features like video capture, AR/VR and gaming."

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/06/qu...-battery-life/

A 4000mAh battery is no longer necessary... Maybe it was awesome 2 years ago.. in 2018/2019 devices are much more energy efficient and battery is lasting much longer. It's better to have a slim and lightweight phone than a brick.
    This is so good to know! Thank you so much! With processors becoming more and more efficient with battery management, it makes sense that we don't need batteries with higher mAh.
    09-16-2018 04:46 PM
    It's possible I'll get the V40. I got my V30 back in December 2017 and it's still holding strong. Battery life is still great and I've had little to no lag. I'm happy with what I have but I also just won the G7 from John Legere during his Facebook show a couple of weeks ago and I might just roll with that for a while or ultimately trade both phone's in for either the V40 or OnePlus 6T since it's coming to T-Mobile and the cost of the trade would probably pay for most of the 6T. Tough decision.
    09-17-2018 07:29 AM
    Ain't paying $1000+ for nobody's phone.
    09-17-2018 08:24 AM
    Two big. 6.4? Seriously? Am I buying a Sherpa to carry it, too?
    Too expensive.
    09-17-2018 08:31 AM
    Two big. 6.4? Seriously? Am I buying a Sherpa to carry it, too?
    Too expensive.
    You must have "young eyes!" At my age a 6.4 inch screen is a feature and big help!
    09-17-2018 09:37 AM
    The last LG V mobile was the V10 and due to the boot loop issues and I told myself not to get an LG mobile phone again but considering the LG V40 to replace my Galaxy S8
    09-17-2018 10:21 AM
    I'll have to take a look--I liked my V30 but...I had some bad luck with a few that had issues with cell phone reception. I was able to trade it in for a Lg G7 that has nearly every feature of the v30 but much better reception. In general, I've like the G7 better than my V30--perhaps I just had bad luck.

A slightly bigger battery, more storage and better cameras is a nice upgrade. But...will it have stereo boombox speakers? Hard to say.

If I can get it from T-mobile in a matte Blue color instead of silver I'll get it! although, could it also wind up on project fi? LG is smart to get some phones on Project FI.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-17-2018 11:17 AM
    I'm really torn between upgrading from my 6P now or waiting for next year's 5G-capable phones. I had the V30 for a month, but the reception was terrible, even at home where I'm exclusively on Wi-Fi. I definitely miss the quad DAC and the battery life, but unless LG improves the reception and adds more customization options to Smart World in terms of themes, I'll have to pass.
    09-17-2018 01:35 PM
    I'm really torn between upgrading from my 6P now or waiting for next year's 5G-capable phones. I had the V30 for a month, but the reception was terrible, even at home where I'm exclusively on Wi-Fi. I definitely miss the quad DAC and the battery life, but unless LG improves the reception and adds more customization options to Smart World in terms of themes, I'll have to pass.
    What phone are you thinking of getting if you were to upgrade now?
    09-17-2018 03:18 PM
    What phone are you thinking of getting if you were to upgrade now?
    I was all set to go with the Note 9 in a couple of months once there'd be some price drops, but my one gripe with Samsung always was the battery drain in standby mode. That's one of the things I loved about the V30, despite the smaller battery. I could use the phone for 45 minutes on a full charge before it went down to 99%; and that was with the screen resolution set to max, AOD enabled, and location on high accuracy toggled on periodically. When in standby mode, the phone would literally take 90 minutes to drop a percentage.

But I ended up selling the V30 because it had terrible radios. I could never get full bars even at home, where I'm exclusively on Wi-Fi, where the modem is in the area I spend the most time. Even while out, in areas where signal is spotty, I got none, where my aging 6P still gets a bar or two. That, coupled with LG's poor theming options (as compared to Samsung's theme store) made me sell the phone, despite loving the battery life and the quad DAC. I'm just wondering if I should hold out for the next crop of 5G phones next year, like the S10+, or V50.
    09-17-2018 03:45 PM
    After LG's complete lack of updates for the V20, my next phone will not be an LG.
    What are you talking about? Today's update to Android 8.0 Oreo is the 12th update I've gotten on the V20 since I got it in October of 2016.
    09-17-2018 04:06 PM
    Meh on the battery complaints. I have a PH-1 with a 3000mah battery and it easily gets through the day unless I'm doing something like using maps heavily -- and that's with my charging it only to 80% to conserve cycle life, since the battery is non-serviceable. I started with Oreo on it and now have Pie; there was no material improvement in power consumption from Oreo->Pie, just UI and increases in "suggestions" the phone makes. Oreo is where the major improvements in the last several Android releases came in with putting a stop to abusive actions by apps both with notifications and power burn (now if Google just cared about about data security and apps siphoning off things like location, but of course they don't and never will since that's how THEY make money too!)

Oreo+ and modern processors do a decent job of keeping power consumption reasonable. On a full charge I get an estimated 8h SOT and have a rated ~30h in "mixed use", which jives well -- charge once a day, during the day using USB-PD (which is *extremely* fast; under an hour to reach 80%) and I'm good.

Now if you're into a lot of heavy video viewing or games then it's a different matter. Same if you use mapping a lot. But in that case even 4kmah won't do it, so.... yeah.
    Yes this will be key for me. I have the HTC 10 and I get decent SOT which is testament to the be phones of the last two years.

Switch off: 4G, Google local history, mobile data/ Bluetooth / NFC when not in use; connect to 2.4 ghz wifi instead of 5ghz especially if you have lots of thick walls between you and your router, screen brightness always on low unless near a charger, disable notifications for apps unless necessary, set wifi to sleep when screen is off and lots of other battery saving tips...
    And the 3300mAh V30 still outlasts it. We just have to wait and see if LG managed to maximize the SD845 or not because it is not as power efficient as the SD835 even though they claimed it would be.
    I've also heard real world reports that the LG g7 isn't as power efficient as the lg v30 in actual ussge. But I never did much of a deep dive into these user reports.... It could be user settings and other isolated issues. Lg is usually good for optimizing the battery, infact they probably are the best in recent years. Maybe only HTC can claim to also have great optimization as good as lg.

Anyways as usual I won't be an early adopter. Wait for it to be released, read the user reviews then make my move or not.
    09-17-2018 04:07 PM
    Yes this will be key for me. I have the HTC 10 and I get decent SOT which is testament to the be phones of the last two years.

Switch off: 4G, Google local history, mobile data/ Bluetooth / NFC when not in use; connect to 2.4 ghz wifi instead of 5ghz especially if you have lots of thick walls between you and your router, screen brightness always on low unless near a charger, disable notifications for apps unless necessary, set wifi to sleep when screen is off and lots of other battery saving tips...I've also heard real world reports that the LG g7 isn't as power efficient as the lg v30 in actual ussge. But I never did much of a deep dive into these user reports.... It could be user settings and other isolated issues. Lg is usually good for optimizing the battery, infact they probably are the best in recent years. Maybe only HTC can claim to also have great optimization as good as lg.

Anyways as usual I won't be an early adopter. Wait for it to be released, read the user reviews then make my move or not.
    The V30 annhilates the G7 in battery life. It's not even close so those reports are very realistic. There hasn't been a recent LG phone that did as well as the V30. Hopefully LG figured out the SD845 and can get a similar experience with the same battery capacity.
    mwake4goten likes this.
    09-17-2018 04:36 PM
71 123