LG V40 specs confirmed, are you going to upgrade?

Ernie824 SakuraBlue

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
The last LG V mobile was the V10 and due to the boot loop issues and I told myself not to get an LG mobile phone again but considering the LG V40 to replace my Galaxy S8

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to take a look--I liked my V30 but...I had some bad luck with a few that had issues with cell phone reception. I was able to trade it in for a Lg G7 that has nearly every feature of the v30 but much better reception. In general, I've like the G7 better than my V30--perhaps I just had bad luck.

A slightly bigger battery, more storage and better cameras is a nice upgrade. But...will it have stereo boombox speakers? Hard to say.

If I can get it from T-mobile in a matte Blue color instead of silver I'll get it! although, could it also wind up on project fi? LG is smart to get some phones on Project FI.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I'm really torn between upgrading from my 6P now or waiting for next year's 5G-capable phones. I had the V30 for a month, but the reception was terrible, even at home where I'm exclusively on Wi-Fi. I definitely miss the quad DAC and the battery life, but unless LG improves the reception and adds more customization options to Smart World in terms of themes, I'll have to pass.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm really torn between upgrading from my 6P now or waiting for next year's 5G-capable phones. I had the V30 for a month, but the reception was terrible, even at home where I'm exclusively on Wi-Fi. I definitely miss the quad DAC and the battery life, but unless LG improves the reception and adds more customization options to Smart World in terms of themes, I'll have to pass.

What phone are you thinking of getting if you were to upgrade now?

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
What phone are you thinking of getting if you were to upgrade now?

I was all set to go with the Note 9 in a couple of months once there'd be some price drops, but my one gripe with Samsung always was the battery drain in standby mode. That's one of the things I loved about the V30, despite the smaller battery. I could use the phone for 45 minutes on a full charge before it went down to 99%; and that was with the screen resolution set to max, AOD enabled, and location on high accuracy toggled on periodically. When in standby mode, the phone would literally take 90 minutes to drop a percentage.

But I ended up selling the V30 because it had terrible radios. I could never get full bars even at home, where I'm exclusively on Wi-Fi, where the modem is in the area I spend the most time. Even while out, in areas where signal is spotty, I got none, where my aging 6P still gets a bar or two. That, coupled with LG's poor theming options (as compared to Samsung's theme store) made me sell the phone, despite loving the battery life and the quad DAC. I'm just wondering if I should hold out for the next crop of 5G phones next year, like the S10+, or V50.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Meh on the battery complaints. I have a PH-1 with a 3000mah battery and it easily gets through the day unless I'm doing something like using maps heavily -- and that's with my charging it only to 80% to conserve cycle life, since the battery is non-serviceable. I started with Oreo on it and now have Pie; there was no material improvement in power consumption from Oreo->Pie, just UI and increases in "suggestions" the phone makes. Oreo is where the major improvements in the last several Android releases came in with putting a stop to abusive actions by apps both with notifications and power burn (now if Google just cared about about data security and apps siphoning off things like location, but of course they don't and never will since that's how THEY make money too!)

Oreo+ and modern processors do a decent job of keeping power consumption reasonable. On a full charge I get an estimated 8h SOT and have a rated ~30h in "mixed use", which jives well -- charge once a day, during the day using USB-PD (which is *extremely* fast; under an hour to reach 80%) and I'm good.

Now if you're into a lot of heavy video viewing or games then it's a different matter. Same if you use mapping a lot. But in that case even 4kmah won't do it, so.... yeah.
Yes this will be key for me. I have the HTC 10 and I get decent SOT which is testament to the be phones of the last two years.

Switch off: 4G, Google local history, mobile data/ Bluetooth / NFC when not in use; connect to 2.4 ghz wifi instead of 5ghz especially if you have lots of thick walls between you and your router, screen brightness always on low unless near a charger, disable notifications for apps unless necessary, set wifi to sleep when screen is off and lots of other battery saving tips...
And the 3300mAh V30 still outlasts it. We just have to wait and see if LG managed to maximize the SD845 or not because it is not as power efficient as the SD835 even though they claimed it would be.
I've also heard real world reports that the LG g7 isn't as power efficient as the lg v30 in actual ussge. But I never did much of a deep dive into these user reports.... It could be user settings and other isolated issues. Lg is usually good for optimizing the battery, infact they probably are the best in recent years. Maybe only HTC can claim to also have great optimization as good as lg.

Anyways as usual I won't be an early adopter. Wait for it to be released, read the user reviews then make my move or not.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes this will be key for me. I have the HTC 10 and I get decent SOT which is testament to the be phones of the last two years.

Switch off: 4G, Google local history, mobile data/ Bluetooth / NFC when not in use; connect to 2.4 ghz wifi instead of 5ghz especially if you have lots of thick walls between you and your router, screen brightness always on low unless near a charger, disable notifications for apps unless necessary, set wifi to sleep when screen is off and lots of other battery saving tips...I've also heard real world reports that the LG g7 isn't as power efficient as the lg v30 in actual ussge. But I never did much of a deep dive into these user reports.... It could be user settings and other isolated issues. Lg is usually good for optimizing the battery, infact they probably are the best in recent years. Maybe only HTC can claim to also have great optimization as good as lg.

Anyways as usual I won't be an early adopter. Wait for it to be released, read the user reviews then make my move or not.
The V30 annhilates the G7 in battery life. It's not even close so those reports are very realistic. There hasn't been a recent LG phone that did as well as the V30. Hopefully LG figured out the SD845 and can get a similar experience with the same battery capacity.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah that's not good to hear.... Well I'll keep to my strategy of not jumping as soon as it releasesed and justv see what user reports and good tech media say.

I really value those two things so that's a deal breaker for me. I work long shifts and dislike having to have battery charger anxiety.... Thanks for the info
The V30 annhilates the G7 in battery life. It's not even close so those reports are very realistic. There hasn't been a recent LG phone that did as well as the V30. Hopefully LG figured out the SD845 and can get a similar experience with the same battery capacity.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah that's not good to hear.... Well I'll keep to my strategy of not jumping as soon as it releasesed and justv see what user reports and good tech media say.

I really value those two things so that's a deal breaker for me. I work long shifts and dislike having to have battery charger anxiety.... Thanks for the info
Yep. But I'm going all in if I like what I see at the launch event.lol I think the OLED screen will play a significant role in battery life as well. But we'll see.

Chad Higgins

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm planning on updating my V20 before the end of the year. I've been waiting on the V40 and I'm looking forward to when it officially drops...

Sadly, in this day and age, the removable battery is becoming extinct and I can live with that. But the DAC is what has got me hooked. I love it on the V20 and I'm sure the newer version on the V40 will have its perks.

That being said...
The OnePlus 6T has caught my eye, especially since I'm a T-Mobile customer and rumor has it that it's going to be available through T-Mobile.

V40 vs OnePlus 6T is my dilemma...
Can I forgo the DAC? Will it be that much of a "downgrade" if any, going to a 6T?

decisions, decisions...

Chad Higgins

May 27, 2014
Visit site
, are you going to upgrade?

I'm planning on updating my V20 before the end of the year. I've been waiting on the V40 and I'm looking forward to when it officially drops...

Sadly, in this day and age, the removable battery is becoming extinct and I can live with that. But the DAC is what has got me hooked. I love it on the V20 and I'm sure the newer version on the V40 will have its perks.

That being said...
The OnePlus 6T has caught my eye, especially since I'm a T-Mobile customer and rumor has it that it's going to be available through T-Mobile.

V40 vs OnePlus 6T is my dilemma...
Can I forgo the DAC? Will it be that much of a "downgrade" if any, going to a 6T?

decisions, decisions...

Chad Higgins

May 27, 2014
Visit site
No way sub par cameras, no updates and I guarantee V40 will not have new Android Pie but Oreo
More cameras what a joke! Fix the ones already on V series!!! Oh and not 5g compatible. Save your money folks! Forget LG V40.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
In a way maybe it's better it did have Oreo rather than pie. I'm always nervous about software that gets rushed just to meet a launch date. They will have had time to optimize Oreo than they would have pie, that's just my thinking anyways. Sure pie is newer and 'better' but give me optimized over something that is newer and not optimized.

henfetchit

Sep 17, 2018
Visit site
Well, if you don't care about sound quality, then you won't miss the DAC.

But I sure would. I have the V20 and both the sound and recording quality blow people away, even if I just use default settings. AFAIK, no one else comes close to the sound quality LG offers.

For me, the sound quality is a big deal. I'm hugely disappointed they ditched the replaceable battery. These phones (not just LG) cost far to much to just dispose of that much money once the battery dies.

dadorade

Apr 14, 2018
Visit site
As Lg diehard I find v30 along with optimus z,lg prada, nexus and ke 800 aka golden chokolate the best lg phone ever.So v40 is got big shoes to fill.

henfetchit

Sep 17, 2018
Visit site
Extremely unlikely. Unless my V20 just dies altogether and even then.... There are 2 very big strikes against this phone (and numerous other phones): 1) battery isn't replaceable and 2) glass back (and possibly curved screen).

I know that people have been sold on the all glass phone idea as sexy and sweet looking. However, it's glass. I know at about 20 people with cracked screens on their phones which they can't really afford to fix. In addition, I know at least 8 who have sexy glass back phones (a few even with cases) which have serious cracks running across them and/or chips in the glass back/edges.... They have discovered the cost to repair these phones is far very expensive (particularly true for those with curved edge screens like Samsungs). Protective cases (good ones) just cover that up anyway. And those sexy glass phones not only don't looks so sexy once cracked, you can cut yourself or get glass slivers if not fixed or (as some have done) taped over. While my phone wasn't cheap, I know the metal back isn't going to crack or shatter and since it lives in a very nice protective case, it has survived the various times I've dropped it unscathed (to my delight & relief).

The ability to replace or even upgrade the battery is just a must have in my opinion. I am not big on tossing away a perfectly good phone because the battery died (thanks for selling people on that idea Apple). Not being made of money, I find that a non-replaceable battery a serious deal breaker.

I got the G2 and really liked it, until the battery died. Then got a Galaxy S4 (while I liked the replaceable battery, I also found it seriously disappointing compared to the G2). And then went to the V20 after the S4 phone itself died. I was blown away by the sound quality of the first recording I did just using the default settings at a concert, then hearing it through good headphones and then my stereo - Wow! I know that
I'll stick with my V20 and hope the industry/people ditch the disposable expensive phone idea. Or go back to a flip phone instead if it comes to that.

While I don't particularly care for the whole notch idea, it's not a serious decision point for me. I will say that, like many, I find the 2nd screen on my V20 to be extremely useful and I utilize it all the time.

Another feature I really like on this V20, which the G2 shared, is the power button on the back. Having it on the side of the phone for the S4 (and anyone else's phone I might borrrow/use) is just plain in the way and far to easy to accidentally press when handling the phone. In addition, the fingerprint scanner placement along with the power button is just brilliant as it's placed right where my finger naturally finds it. It is also really easy to reach/find using the magnetic dash mount in my car. I'm glad the V40 had the fingerprint button where it belongs, but I fear they put the power button on the side like the G7.

I should probably also state my curmudgeonly attitude toward the AI button idea. While "OK Google" works ok, I have more problems with it than successes, particularly when driving and in traffic (or other people talking in the car......). Kinda like auto-correct for typing - kind of okay but often results in it taking me 5 times longer to type what I want.

So if it isn't clear from the above. NO, I won't be bothering with the V40 or any other models until they go back to the more durable metal back, and bring back replaceable batteries. Otherwise, the Quad DAC is a huge winner for me as are the terrific camera/video controls and the awesome recording capability. I hope they've addressed some of the auto camera functions (and low light photo issues). It wouls also be nice to seem LG seriously address software updates to their existing models (still waiting for supposedly imminent V20 Android update). But I seriously don't see anything compelling me to ditch my V20 which I really like a lot in favor of a phone which misses out on 2 deal-breaker issues (I went with the V20 over the early reviews of the V30 because of the non-replaceable battery).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo