LG V40 specs confirmed, are you going to upgrade?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Extremely unlikely. Unless my V20 just dies altogether and even then.... There are 2 very big strikes against this phone (and numerous other phones): 1) battery isn't replaceable and 2) glass back (and possibly curved screen).

I know that people have been sold on the all glass phone idea as sexy and sweet looking. However, it's glass. I know at about 20 people with cracked screens on their phones which they can't really afford to fix. In addition, I know at least 8 who have sexy glass back phones (a few even with cases) which have serious cracks running across them and/or chips in the glass back/edges.... They have discovered the cost to repair these phones is far very expensive (particularly true for those with curved edge screens like Samsungs). Protective cases (good ones) just cover that up anyway. And those sexy glass phones not only don't looks so sexy once cracked, you can cut yourself or get glass slivers if not fixed or (as some have done) taped over. While my phone wasn't cheap, I know the metal back isn't going to crack or shatter and since it lives in a very nice protective case, it has survived the various times I've dropped it unscathed (to my delight & relief).

The ability to replace or even upgrade the battery is just a must have in my opinion. I am not big on tossing away a perfectly good phone because the battery died (thanks for selling people on that idea Apple). Not being made of money, I find that a non-replaceable battery a serious deal breaker.

I got the G2 and really liked it, until the battery died. Then got a Galaxy S4 (while I liked the replaceable battery, I also found it seriously disappointing compared to the G2). And then went to the V20 after the S4 phone itself died. I was blown away by the sound quality of the first recording I did just using the default settings at a concert, then hearing it through good headphones and then my stereo - Wow! I know that
I'll stick with my V20 and hope the industry/people ditch the disposable expensive phone idea. Or go back to a flip phone instead if it comes to that.

While I don't particularly care for the whole notch idea, it's not a serious decision point for me. I will say that, like many, I find the 2nd screen on my V20 to be extremely useful and I utilize it all the time.

Another feature I really like on this V20, which the G2 shared, is the power button on the back. Having it on the side of the phone for the S4 (and anyone else's phone I might borrrow/use) is just plain in the way and far to easy to accidentally press when handling the phone. In addition, the fingerprint scanner placement along with the power button is just brilliant as it's placed right where my finger naturally finds it. It is also really easy to reach/find using the magnetic dash mount in my car. I'm glad the V40 had the fingerprint button where it belongs, but I fear they put the power button on the side like the G7.

I should probably also state my curmudgeonly attitude toward the AI button idea. While "OK Google" works ok, I have more problems with it than successes, particularly when driving and in traffic (or other people talking in the car......). Kinda like auto-correct for typing - kind of okay but often results in it taking me 5 times longer to type what I want.

So if it isn't clear from the above. NO, I won't be bothering with the V40 or any other models until they go back to the more durable metal back, and bring back replaceable batteries. Otherwise, the Quad DAC is a huge winner for me as are the terrific camera/video controls and the awesome recording capability. I hope they've addressed some of the auto camera functions (and low light photo issues). It wouls also be nice to seem LG seriously address software updates to their existing models (still waiting for supposedly imminent V20 Android update). But I seriously don't see anything compelling me to ditch my V20 which I really like a lot in favor of a phone which misses out on 2 deal-breaker issues (I went with the V20 over the early reviews of the V30 because of the non-replaceable battery).

I do see your point - replaceable batteries are convenient and glass-backed phones can be a gamble. And I *do* love the power button on the back of my phones - my LG G3 had that and I loved it - so it'd be nice to see that make a comeback someday.

The market will go where the mass consumers want it to, unfortunately. If people want glass-backed phones and would rather have non- removable batteries due to needs like wireless charging/water resistance/appeal; then that is the way manufacturers will go. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a removable battery and even a bigger battery but them's the breaks in the smartphone world.

I bought a glass-backed phone (Honor 8) as my last phone and it held up really well. I would just use hard cases and a tempered glass screen protector - nothing super high-tech or fancy - and my phone survived quite a few drops and bumps. It fell face-down onto a hardwood floor and the screen protector cracked, but the phone itself was fine.

I think phones these days are tougher and they manufacture glass in different ways than in the past. My Honor 8 had something like 8 or more layers of glass over the front and back to protect it and also add more sheen. I was a little concerned about using a glass-backed phone but in the end I'm very glad I did and would do it again. I guess it depends on the user's level of clumsiness too (and I'm clumsy!) and other things like line of work, the height of the drop and the surface the phone falls on, etc. Any phone would be vulnerable to a big drop - even metal or plastic ones.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, everyone's mileage may vary with glass-backed phones and phones with non-removable batteries. At least the latest Snapdragon - and even the one before that - are really efficient at battery saving; which would help in promoting and prolonging battery life, as phones will adapt to your usage over time.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Extremely unlikely. Unless my V20 just dies altogether and even then.... There are 2 very big strikes against this phone (and numerous other phones): 1) battery isn't replaceable and 2) glass back (and possibly curved screen).

I know that people have been sold on the all glass phone idea as sexy and sweet looking. However, it's glass. I know at about 20 people with cracked screens on their phones which they can't really afford to fix. In addition, I know at least 8 who have sexy glass back phones (a few even with cases) which have serious cracks running across them and/or chips in the glass back/edges.... They have discovered the cost to repair these phones is far very expensive (particularly true for those with curved edge screens like Samsungs). Protective cases (good ones) just cover that up anyway. And those sexy glass phones not only don't looks so sexy once cracked, you can cut yourself or get glass slivers if not fixed or (as some have done) taped over. While my phone wasn't cheap, I know the metal back isn't going to crack or shatter and since it lives in a very nice protective case, it has survived the various times I've dropped it unscathed (to my delight & relief).

The ability to replace or even upgrade the battery is just a must have in my opinion. I am not big on tossing away a perfectly good phone because the battery died (thanks for selling people on that idea Apple). Not being made of money, I find that a non-replaceable battery a serious deal breaker.

I got the G2 and really liked it, until the battery died. Then got a Galaxy S4 (while I liked the replaceable battery, I also found it seriously disappointing compared to the G2). And then went to the V20 after the S4 phone itself died. I was blown away by the sound quality of the first recording I did just using the default settings at a concert, then hearing it through good headphones and then my stereo - Wow! I know that
I'll stick with my V20 and hope the industry/people ditch the disposable expensive phone idea. Or go back to a flip phone instead if it comes to that.

While I don't particularly care for the whole notch idea, it's not a serious decision point for me. I will say that, like many, I find the 2nd screen on my V20 to be extremely useful and I utilize it all the time.

Another feature I really like on this V20, which the G2 shared, is the power button on the back. Having it on the side of the phone for the S4 (and anyone else's phone I might borrrow/use) is just plain in the way and far to easy to accidentally press when handling the phone. In addition, the fingerprint scanner placement along with the power button is just brilliant as it's placed right where my finger naturally finds it. It is also really easy to reach/find using the magnetic dash mount in my car. I'm glad the V40 had the fingerprint button where it belongs, but I fear they put the power button on the side like the G7.

I should probably also state my curmudgeonly attitude toward the AI button idea. While "OK Google" works ok, I have more problems with it than successes, particularly when driving and in traffic (or other people talking in the car......). Kinda like auto-correct for typing - kind of okay but often results in it taking me 5 times longer to type what I want.

So if it isn't clear from the above. NO, I won't be bothering with the V40 or any other models until they go back to the more durable metal back, and bring back replaceable batteries. Otherwise, the Quad DAC is a huge winner for me as are the terrific camera/video controls and the awesome recording capability. I hope they've addressed some of the auto camera functions (and low light photo issues). It wouls also be nice to seem LG seriously address software updates to their existing models (still waiting for supposedly imminent V20 Android update). But I seriously don't see anything compelling me to ditch my V20 which I really like a lot in favor of a phone which misses out on 2 deal-breaker issues (I went with the V20 over the early reviews of the V30 because of the non-replaceable battery).
Why don't you tell us how you really feel. Lol

(Though, I agree with you 110%)

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
No way sub par cameras, no updates and I guarantee V40 will not have new Android Pie but Oreo
More cameras what a joke! Fix the ones already on V series!!! Oh and not 5g compatible. Save your money folks! Forget LG V40.
Hey Chad. Maybe just maybe they did fix the camera. That's why the V40 has bigger pixels and an f/1.5 aperture which means it should beast in low light comparable to the top flagships available. Let's knock the phone down before it even comes out. Was the V20 really that great for you guys? I mean I enjoyed mine but some stability issues caused me to return mine in the end.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Was the V20 really that great for you guys?

In a word, yes. I know you had your issues with it, and that will happen with a few users on any phone. It sucks, but I think I saw you say you love your new one (the V30 I think?). Whatever the case, most phones will operate fine, so from a hardware standpoint the V20 will be hard to beat as a total package. Processors and cameras and such will always improve, but I just can't wrap my head around the justification for sealed batteries and AMOLED screens. The battery issue is more cost savings by the manufacturer than anything, and AMOLED screens can permanently burn in fairly easily. And while I know color accuracy is mostly a software calibration issue, I've yet to see an AMOLED that I liked.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
In a word, yes. I know you had your issues with it, and that will happen with a few users on any phone. It sucks, but I think I saw you say you love your new one (the V30 I think?). Whatever the case, most phones will operate fine, so from a hardware standpoint the V20 will be hard to beat as a total package. Processors and cameras and such will always improve, but I just can't wrap my head around the justification for sealed batteries and AMOLED screens. The battery issue is more cost savings by the manufacturer than anything, and AMOLED screens can permanently burn in fairly easily. And while I know color accuracy is mostly a software calibration issue, I've yet to see an AMOLED that I liked.
Nah man stuck with this V10 until the V40 comes out. Swapping batteries like a hot potato. I did love the V20 but not to point of being tied to it just because of the direction the market is going.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I've yet to see an AMOLED that I liked.

I am totally on the other end of the spectrum. The V30 is my first phone with an OLED display and I'm quite happy. I know it's been said a thousand times but I'm in love with the ink blacks.

My biggest worry was burn in. I decided to just enjoy the phone and see what happens. 1 year in and no issues. Anyway, just giving my opinion

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am totally on the other end of the spectrum. The V30 is my first phone with an OLED display and I'm quite happy. I know it's been said a thousand times but I'm in love with the ink blacks.

My biggest worry was burn in. I decided to just enjoy the phone and see what happens. 1 year in and no issues. Anyway, just giving my opinion

Hopefully burn-in does not happen for you! I'm sure you will be good though! So glad you are enjoying it! I love my Pixel 2 but perhaps I'll get an LG V-series phone for my next upgrade. I've always wanted one!

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Technology improves over time. Batteries are lasting much longer, more efficient, and have longer longevity. Snapdragon 845 demands less power but is still powerful compared to a flagship from 2 years ago. They are currently working on a new type of battery that will never age and can last decades, and also charge instantly. Lithium Ion batteries are disposal but still can last a very long time if taken care of. I have a bunch of old phones that still works with the original battery. https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets...in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

There is this thing called mAh and all batteries have a rating. As it plainly says, it has 3300mAh which IMO is nowhere close to enough to a full day.

And the screen is larger with more pixels which guess what - leads to a higher consumption versus V20 or V30.

My bottom line these days is a 10,000 mAh extended battery and charging twice a day is completely unacceptable.

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
NO...Why? Glass back and NO User replaceable battery. Got a V20, it's rock solid. On it's 2nd battery. When the lease is up or it gets damaged, I have a NIB one waiting on the shelf.

John_Cline

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
No way sub par cameras, no updates and I guarantee V40 will not have new Android Pie but Oreo
More cameras what a joke! Fix the ones already on V series!!! Oh and not 5g compatible. Save your money folks! Forget LG V40.

Let's see, my V20 just got Android v8 Oero, it was the 12th update I've gotten in the last two years. I've been satisfied with the camera in the manual mode, and shooting 4K video with 24bit uncompressed stereo audio. 5G is not particularly important at the moment, and I'll bet that the V40 does indeed come with Android v9 Pie, the V20 was the very first phone released with Android v7.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I might upgrade from my current LG G6 using ATT's NEXT program. I'm a bit worried about the larger size. I'll need to check one out at my local ATT store first.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The V30 annhilates the G7 in battery life. It's not even close so those reports are very realistic. There hasn't been a recent LG phone that did as well as the V30. Hopefully LG figured out the SD845 and can get a similar experience with the same battery capacity.

Don't follow the myth and misconception that AMOLED is more energy efficient than IPS LCD.. it isn't, AMOLED takes 15-25% more battery because it needs to individually light up every single pixel which is more power demanding, while IPS LCD uses a single backlight (ask any professional display engineer and expert). The newer CPU plus IPS mLCD+ display helps with battery life, SD 845 has a significant jump in battery efficiency. Though the ultra bright mode plus boombox sound will eat up battery if you use it too much at highest settings, so it depends on the user. So I would say the V30 ans G7 should have about the same battery life (3300 mAh + OLED + SD 835 vs 3000 mAh + IPS LCD + SD 845), again depends on the user's usage habits.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE