LG V40 announcement

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'd prefer less breakable plastic. I use a case so I don't care what it feels like
I have the COURAGE to go caseless on all of my phones.lol Going all the way back to the Xperia Z3 which was one of those slides across a flat desk types.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the COURAGE to go caseless on all of my phones.lol Going all the way back to the Xperia Z3 which was one of those slides across a flat desk types.
I have butterfingers! LOL I bet I drop my phone once a month. I've never broken one nor even scratched it due to case and protector.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I have butterfingers! LOL I bet I drop my phone once a month. I've never broken one nor even scratched it due to case and protector.
Lol yeah I'll at the least throw a Dbrand skin on it just in case. I did pretty good with the V20 but there were a few times I wasn't as careful and let's just say I may have had to use my warranty a few times.lol

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Lol yeah I'll at the least throw a Dbrand skin on it just in case. I did pretty good with the V20 but there were a few times I wasn't as careful and let's just say I may have had to use my warranty a few times.lol
I only used warranty once ironically pulled out vol rocker removing case!

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not gonna pay $900 plus for a phone again especially since it'll be on sale for 50% off in a month or two.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
If you dropped like I do you'd miss the tough as nails V20.

Lol.

Like you said though, I use a case while at work (demolition). When I get home I take it off. Love the feel of the V 30 but it's very slippery. Think this frosted glass should help with that

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Lol.

Like you said though, I use a case while at work (demolition). When I get home I take it off. Love the feel of the V 30 but it's very slippery. Think this frosted glass should help with that
I do like wireless charging. All the good phones have glass backs so not much choice. I'll always prefer plastic backs.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Typically yeah but I think the V40 will hold it's value for a good while.

I would have thought the same thing about the V30. I couldn't wait because my MXPE was on life support so I paid full price.

G5, G6, G7 and the V30 (not sure about the other V phones because I didn't buy them) all went half off very quickly.

Luckily my V30 and my daughter's G6 are in really good shape so I have time on my side.

You have mentioned possibly going with the V30 if I remember correctly. I'd just offer to that that's my current phone and I've been super happy with it since launch.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Looks very nice! Can't wait to see what it looks like from the front!

And yeah, that kind of a pricetag is probably what we're going to see. It's unfortunate but that seems to be what high-end flagships are selling for nowadays. :(

It's what people are willing to pay. It's like movie theater tickets, they keep raising the price every year, hoping people don't notice.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Typically yeah but I think the V40 will hold it's value for a good while.

Yeah I agree, since it has 5 cameras and an AMOLED display, plus a whole host of features. Seems like OLED phones hold a higher value for some reason, probably because people associate AMOLED with premium.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's what people are willing to pay. It's like movie theater tickets, they keep raising the price every year, hoping people don't notice.

You're absolutely right! It's definitely what the public is willing to pay for. And movie tickets - YES! They *have* gone up! So I'm not just being grumpy and cheap when I see the movie ticket prices... LOOL.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You're absolutely right! It's definitely what the public is willing to pay for. And movie tickets - YES! They *have* gone up! So I'm not just being grumpy and cheap when I see the movie ticket prices... LOOL.

People are placing high values on phones more than before. The actual costs of smartphones are here:

https://www.techwalls.com/production-costs-of-smartphones/

Apple has the highest markup price and people still buy them, thinking the phone actually is valued that much. Apple did a good job making people think their devices are of high value, especially with the designs and good software OS.

Movie theaters are taking a huge hit right now because of streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. So in response they have a "membership" program where you pay monthly for unlimited movies I think. Something to look into.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Just a lot more pleasing to look at.

Not pleasing to me.. whites don't look true white, grey backgrounds show so many flaws of AMOLED, sometimes the screen looks reddish/pinkish next to another screen. Looking at AMOLED for a long time, I get sick of looking at it.. it's too cartoony and it gives off this weird glow. It also ages horribly too, getting screen burn ins over time, especially the top navigation bar.

Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I would have thought the same thing about the V30. I couldn't wait because my MXPE was on life support so I paid full price.

G5, G6, G7 and the V30 (not sure about the other V phones because I didn't buy them) all went half off very quickly.

Luckily my V30 and my daughter's G6 are in really good shape so I have time on my side.

You have mentioned possibly going with the V30 if I remember correctly. I'd just offer to that that's my current phone and I've been super happy with it since launch.

I was thinking about getting the V30, upgrading from my V20 but it seems impossible to install a tempered glass screen protector on it (everyone in the forums had no luck). I really enjoy glass screen protectors because it feels much nicer and smooth.. and no, I'm not using a phone without one. I don't like getting scratches, dings, or chips on it, especially if I'm paying several hundred bucks on it. I've dropped by phones before, the tempered glass protector absorbs the shock and impact. Another reason why I didn't get it was because the camera was a little disappointing.. I mean it's good but not significantly better.. plus it seems as if the selfie on the V30 was downgraded from the V20.. comparing side by side, I saw the V30 took much lower quality selfies than the V20, which the V20 looked significantly better when compared (not making this up, try it yourself and let me know). Plus they reduced the wide angle POV so it's shorter, which sucks because I really liked the wide view, regardless of the distortion (the front selfie is no longer as wide as the V20.. a disappointment). They say, manufactures make big changes every 2 years so I think the V40 is going to be different and better, let's hope so.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I do like wireless charging. All the good phones have glass backs so not much choice. I'll always prefer plastic backs.

Yeah I don't mind plastic, especially if they use a rubberized coating. But LG knows it can't cater to the minority.. the majority wants beautiful phones and it has become a beauty war. Truthfully, LG is making some of the most beautiful devices now.. starting with the G6 and above. People complained about how ugly the V20 was.. LG took it to heart. Also, people complained about the wide angle distortion... They also got rid of that. I guess you can blame corporate YouTube reviewers.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If you dropped like I do you'd miss the tough as nails V20.

True. I dropped it 5 feet on cement (with a thin case on it). No problems at all. Android Authority did a drop test on it a long time ago and sold me on it. Too bad it's their last rugged phone... it's beauty over practicality now... breaking away from their true roots (V10 and V20 was supposed to be rugged, esp. V10).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000