12-22-2018 10:24 PM
151 12345 ...
tools
    One suggestion. If you haven't already, make sure you hold a Note 9 in your hands before deciding. The curved infinity screen just didn't work for me too slippery. That was one of the nice surprises on the V40....a flat screen.

BTW, unless you plan on using the S Pen, the Note 9 is kind of a waste. IMO, I would look more at the S9+ if your considering a Galaxy phone.

I understand the convenience of wireless, I use Bose QC 35's when I'm on a plane, noise cancelling wins over sound quality. However, I would suggest listening to some music with at least a decent pair of wired headphones on a LG V series phone before you buy, if you are a big music listener. You will be surprised at the difference
    I've had a note before the curved screen and did use the spen some but I wasn't a big note taker then. I do a lot more now, I think it's my age as it's getting harder to remember stuff lol.

Honestly, the curved screen and the bixby button are the two things holding me back. I've never loved the feel of the curved screen and as a mechanical engineer I think it's a stupid design too. However the note 9 seems to have the least amount of curve on the edge but that and the bixby button are what have me waiting for the 6T.

I'll admit, what has me pulling back on the V40 is the camera, I'm not seeing a whole lot that impresses me on it. In fact I think the G7 had better pics in reviews. IDK what to think about it, and having a Pixel 2 right now going back to LG's skin bothers me some but I also think Pie on the Pixel is a bloody mess right now. Only thing I like about this phone is the camera and the overall size. The rest of it bugs the hell out of me. I hate the new material design, the horizontal recent apps menu and the gesture navigation. They weren't broken and didn't need to change.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.
    10-24-2018 11:14 PM
    You're going to love it! I had the V20 and then the V30, I'm really enjoying the V40. I'm still learning about what the camera can do, but it's pretty amazing. My brother was moving from the V20 and considered the V40 and the Note9. His battery was giving out and he didn't want to wait so got the Note9. It will be interesting comparing the two when we meet up next week.
    You had time to make a comparison? I am convinced to purchase a v40 once ATT puts a good deal on it. Hopefully Black Friday will drop it a bit. B&H dropped it to 750 the other day, but i think with the upcoming 7nm chip set on next years flagships makes me want to do a carrier one year upgrade option for the v40.
    10-24-2018 11:14 PM
    I'm liking the V40 better than the V20 and the V30. The one thing I did like better was the on/off button and the fingerprint sensor combination. I'm not a big fan of the separate button. That being said I am getting use to it.

The battery life on the V40 isn't as good as the V30. I could get a good 12 hours of medium to heavy use out of the V30 and still have around 15-20% left. With the V40 I'm getting around 10 hours. Compared to my brother's Note9, he's still has 50% left but he's not quite as heavy a user as I am. But I figure with the same use he would be no lower than 30% after 12 hours.

The camera is a pretty good improvement over the V30 and a huge improvement over the V20. Compared to the Note9, we took the same pic from the same distance with similar settings. Both of us that the pic were hard to tell the difference. A Pixel owner was there as well and actually thought the V40 had better colors. I thought the V40 had a better blue to the sky, but other than that not really any difference.

There's not question the sound was better on the V40 when using a pair of Sennheiser HD650. When playing the same music and listening to the external speakers, again the sound was really good on both. The Pixel owner thought the V40 has a little richer sound.
    10-25-2018 06:38 PM
    I'm liking the V40 better than the V20 and the V30. The one thing I did like better was the on/off button and the fingerprint sensor combination. I'm not a big fan of the separate button. That being said I am getting use to it.

The battery life on the V40 isn't as good as the V30. I could get a good 12 hours of medium to heavy use out of the V30 and still have around 15-20% left. With the V40 I'm getting around 10 hours. Compared to my brother's Note9, he's still has 50% left but he's not quite as heavy a user as I am. But I figure with the same use he would be no lower than 30% after 12 hours.

The camera is a pretty good improvement over the V30 and a huge improvement over the V20. Compared to the Note9, we took the same pic from the same distance with similar settings. Both of us that the pic were hard to tell the difference. A Pixel owner was there as well and actually thought the V40 had better colors. I thought the V40 had a better blue to the sky, but other than that not really any difference.

There's not question the sound was better on the V40 when using a pair of Sennheiser HD650. When playing the same music and listening to the external speakers, again the sound was really good on both. The Pixel owner thought the V40 has a little richer sound.
    That's awesome. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but battery life is really irrelevant for me as long as the phone has wireless charging and quick charge. Make no mistake, if given two exact same phones, just one was thicker with more battery, sure I'll take the battery. But I'll never pick a phone because of battery life.

At the end of the day, I will interact with the things about a phone way longer than i will with charging. I'd rather have 10 hours of experience with the perfect phone for me and 1 hour of quick charge (or constant topping off on my wireless charger at my desk) than not to have to charge but have to deal with something about a phone that i don't like.

Not that their is anything really wrong about the Note 9, but the simple difference of LG opting to use a button for Google now vs Samsung using their own thing is worth the loss of battery life. Also, the wide angle lens is something that I will use so much, an extra 5 hours of battery life every give me that experience with a note.

Basically wireless charging and portable quick charge battery packs have totally cured my battery anxiety.
    10-25-2018 07:09 PM
    That's awesome. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but battery life is really irrelevant for me as long as the phone has wireless charging and quick charge. Make no mistake, if given two exact same phones, just one was thicker with more battery, sure I'll take the battery. But I'll never pick a phone because of battery life.

At the end of the day, I will interact with the things about a phone way longer than i will with charging. I'd rather have 10 hours of experience with the perfect phone for me and 1 hour of quick charge (or constant topping off on my wireless charger at my desk) than not to have to charge but have to deal with something about a phone that i don't like.

Not that their is anything really wrong about the Note 9, but the simple difference of LG opting to use a button for Google now vs Samsung using their own thing is worth the loss of battery life. Also, the wide angle lens is something that I will use so much, an extra 5 hours of battery life every give me that experience with a note.

Basically wireless charging and portable quick charge battery packs have totally cured my battery anxiety.
    A thoight about quick charge withe the V40 vs the Note 9. LG is using QC3.0 I think and Samsung is using 2.0 which is like a 4 year old standard and not as fast more efficient.

I'm with you though. While I like a big battery so long as I can add half a charge or top off in under an hour and the phone doesn't eat the battery while I'm not using it so I can count on it having juice when I do I'm not super concerned about how long the battery lasts these days and most of the time I'm near a charger anyway at home, work or in the car.
    10-25-2018 10:59 PM
    For me, the quick charge 3.0 makes the smaller battery a non-issue. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to not have to charge until I turn in for the night. But doing so late in the evening isn't that big of a deal for me.
    gendo667 likes this.
    10-26-2018 09:45 AM
    For me, the quick charge 3.0 makes the smaller battery a non-issue. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to not have to charge until I turn in for the night. But doing so late in the evening isn't that big of a deal for me.
    No the great thing about quick charge is it's so fast and easy and in my opinion trumps wireless. If I have a heavy usage day I can plug in late afternoon for 15-30 minutes before going home and if I don't get the chance I can do it in the car and get a nice bump for the evening and be just fine.
    gendo667 likes this.
    10-26-2018 11:20 AM
    No the great thing about quick charge is it's so fast and easy and in my opinion trumps wireless. If I have a heavy usage day I can plug in late afternoon for 15-30 minutes before going home and if I don't get the chance I can do it in the car and get a nice bump for the evening and be just fine.
    I think we are saying the same thing. Because the QC 3.0 charges so fast it make the smaller battery a non-issue. At least it does for me.
    10-27-2018 05:35 PM
    I think we are saying the same thing. Because the QC 3.0 charges so fast it make the smaller battery a non-issue. At least it does for me.
    Yep. Now I do like wireless for my nightstand. But during the day on the go fast charging is the way to go for me.
    10-27-2018 06:16 PM
    The 6T was announced today and although it's a beautiful device and the price is attractive, I'm happy I went with the V40 after all...

Oxygen with 9.0 was tempting, especially for the price point and trade in offers that TMobile is doing. BUT, the headphone jack and the incredible DAC with DTS X Surround wins out every day of the week over a phone with a dongle...

I use Bluetooth buds when I'm out and about and wired headphones when at home. I love that option...

For me, the V40 wins out. I'm loving my device and now I'm checking out wireless chargers, I gotta accessorize lol
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-29-2018 06:30 PM
    I was waiting to see the 6t. After seeing it I went with the V40 today. While I do like one plus I have always had a soft spot for LG. I like their skin and features they packed into this phone so far. I'm still setting it up as I was busy today and didn't really get the chance. But it seems like a decent device so far. No complaints yet. But it's only been a few hours.

Previous I had the XS Max but returned it because the signal kept dropping out and I kept dropping calls. Returned the pixel 3 xl after getting fed up with the memory issues. Sold my note 9. No issues with that one. Solid device. Just like to try new phones.

Hope to keep this phone for a bit. I'll see how it goes. Any recommendations on a good screen protector. Checked Amazon and they all have crappy reviews it seems. Anyone have any luck.
    10-29-2018 10:28 PM
    Yeah, as much as i love what OnePlus is doing with raw specs, the fact that there is no capacitive fingerprint sensor and no wireless charger are the two main reason i am still waiting. If ATT will have a good black Friday sale I don't see me passing up the V40.
    10-29-2018 10:35 PM
    The 6T was announced today and although it's a beautiful device and the price is attractive, I'm happy I went with the V40 after all...

Oxygen with 9.0 was tempting, especially for the price point and trade in offers that TMobile is doing. BUT, the headphone jack and the incredible DAC with DTS X Surround wins out every day of the week over a phone with a dongle...

I use Bluetooth buds when I'm out and about and wired headphones when at home. I love that option...

For me, the V40 wins out. I'm loving my device and now I'm checking out wireless chargers, I gotta accessorize lol
    Congratulations on your V40! I love the V-series. Enjoy!
    10-29-2018 10:48 PM
    Yeah, as much as i love what OnePlus is doing with raw specs, the fact that there is no capacitive fingerprint sensor and no wireless charger are the two main reason i am still waiting. If ATT will have a good black Friday sale I don't see me passing up the V40.
    The loss of the rear capacitive finger print sensor is the one thing that has me hesitant to get the 6T. I may look on swappa for used OP6's
    10-29-2018 11:13 PM
    Congratulations on your V40! I love the V-series. Enjoy!
    Thank you, will do...

I find it a big improvement over my beloved V20. So far it's the smoothness, the screen, and the battery life which I find is a biggest difference. The audio options are amazing as well.

And if I'm "forced" to go with a sealed backed device, then it might as well have an IP rating and wireless charging.
    Morty2264 and LuvMusic like this.
    10-30-2018 07:00 AM
    Thank you, will do...

I find it a big improvement over my beloved V20. So far it's the smoothness, the screen, and the battery life which I find is a biggest difference. The audio options are amazing as well.

And if I'm "forced" to go with a sealed backed device, then it might as well have an IP rating and wireless charging.
    That's great that it's an improvement! The V series is great for audio and gaming. How are you finding the camera?
    10-30-2018 08:22 AM
    I haven't gone too crazy taking pictures and video yet, but I can say all the manual controls are nice to have. The triple shot function is a cool thing to have also...

As I get deeper into camera/video use, I'll let you guys knows what I think.
    10-30-2018 11:37 AM
    Any recommendations on a good screen protector. Checked Amazon and they all have crappy reviews it seems. Anyone have any luck.
    https://www.t-mobile.com/accessory/p...r-lg-v40-thinq

That's what I have on mine. Doesn't go all the way to the edges so it's not effected by the damn curved glass lol. It's full glue also. It's pricey though, but I don't ever go naked on my displays.
    Morty2264 and anon(1733) like this.
    10-31-2018 12:06 AM
    Any recommendations on a good screen protector. Checked Amazon and they all have crappy reviews it seems. Anyone have any luck.
    Here is the one I'm using. I've used this brand on my V10 and V20. Regardless of the reviews, I have no complaints it's been working fine for about a week now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6385819
    anon(1733) likes this.
    10-31-2018 07:38 AM
    Here is the one I'm using. I've used this brand on my V10 and V20. Regardless of the reviews, I have no complaints it's been working fine for about a week now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6385878
    This is the one both my wife and I have on our V40's. They are working great, no complaints.
    10-31-2018 08:40 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...cUvbUpU6385880
    This is the one both my wife and I have on our V40's. They are working great, no complaints.
    10-31-2018 08:40 AM
    https://www.t-mobile.com/accessory/p...r-lg-v40-thinq

That's what I have on mine. Doesn't go all the way to the edges so it's not effected by the damn curved glass lol. It's full glue also. It's pricey though, but I don't ever go naked on my displays.
    That sounds like a good one! Sometimes you need to buy a pricey one to get good results! Thank you for sharing!
    10-31-2018 02:02 PM
    Sometimes you need to buy a pricey one to get good results! Thank you for sharing!
    Fake news.....not my experience at all! I've been buying inexpensive tempered glass screen protectors off of Amazon for me and my family members for many, many years with great success. Just sayin'......
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-31-2018 02:46 PM
    Thanks all for the recommendations. Appreciate it.
    10-31-2018 04:29 PM
    Fake news.....not my experience at all! I've been buying inexpensive tempered glass screen protectors off of Amazon for me and my family members for many, many years with great success. Just sayin'......
    Okay Trump. I buy inexpensive screen protectors as well, except when they aren't full adhesive like the one you mentioned earlier. If it only has glue around the border it's a hard pass. I don't want touch sensitivity issues or rainbow effect. Glad it works for you, but I'd rather pay extra for full adhesive.
    10-31-2018 08:08 PM
151 12345 ...