12-22-2018 10:24 PM
151 ... 4567
tools
    At Verizon we just got the October update last week We might get it by Christmas
    Yes, I'm on VZW as well. I thought that was a great improvement from past updates. lol
    11-21-2018 10:26 AM
    It's not that music isn't important. I love music but I hate wires and while my wired earbuds sound really nice I always end up watching them on something or jerking my phone off the deal onto the floor. I hate wires.

My biggest concern is probably camera and screen size at this point. Also UI and experience. I am currently using a pixel 2 and while updates are nice and I thought I needed them when I bought this they've not been a big deal to me. Especially with all the little bigs and quarks this thing has. I'm just worried that while the 6T looks great, the LG might be the more refined device because LG has been doing it longer.
    It seems like even Bluetooth sounds better. I often use Bluetooth while walking but as a bit of an audiophile I can only deal with them for a bit. First you lose noticeable tone on MP3's then lose more on Bluetooth. I prefer flac but it takes up a ton of space. If the phone had more storage I might go all flac. I have a 400gig micro in it and it's near full. My son has the note 9. It is super nice but the sound quality is inferior or I might have went that way. I think the camera is better on the V40 also and every update so far has had camera improvements and I expect more. The V40 is easier to use one handed as well. Not sure how the 10 will be.
    11-21-2018 10:28 AM
    It seems like even Bluetooth sounds better. I often use Bluetooth while walking but as a bit of an audiophile I can only deal with them for a bit. First you lose noticeable tone on MP3's then lose more on Bluetooth. I prefer flac but it takes up a ton of space. If the phone had more storage I might go all flac. I have a 400gig micro in it and it's near full. My son has the note 9. It is super nice but the sound quality is inferior or I might have went that way. I think the camera is better on the V40 also and every update so far has had camera improvements and I expect more. The V40 is easier to use one handed as well. Not sure how the 10 will be.
    That pretty much sums it up for me. I too use a lot of flac for my music and wish there was another option beyond the 400GB micro card. I get a little chuckle every time is see the Note9 ad that talks about the feature of 1TB of storage availability. If that was possible, at a reasonable price, I'd have it on the V40.
    11-21-2018 10:35 AM
    Yes, I'm on VZW as well. I thought that was a great improvement from past updates. lol
    I'm on Verizon but have the unlocked version from B&H so I'm not sure what schedule I would be on.
    11-21-2018 10:45 AM
    I'm on Verizon but have the unlocked version from B&H so I'm not sure what schedule I would be on.
    I believe once it's tied to a carrier you are on their schedule but maybe not. We got the October update the same day as one of the other carries this time which is an improvement to the past. It seemed like we were at least a month behind on the V30
    11-21-2018 10:51 AM
    I believe once it's tied to a carrier you are on their schedule but maybe not. We got the October update the same day as one of the other carries this time which is an improvement to the past. It seemed like we were at least a month behind on the V30
    Gotcha. My phone did just get an update a couple days ago and it now says its running the Nov. 1st software.
    11-21-2018 11:03 AM
    Gotcha. My phone did just get an update a couple days ago and it now says its running the Nov. 1st software.
    Everytime you check the date it will tell you the current software is that date. You need to check it in the software version area. It will show the security update as October. But if you just got an over the air you are probably on a carrier either on the ball or way behind.
    11-21-2018 11:09 AM
    That pretty much sums it up for me. I too use a lot of flac for my music and wish there was another option beyond the 400GB micro card. I get a little chuckle every time is see the Note9 ad that talks about the feature of 1TB of storage availability. If that was possible, at a reasonable price, I'd have it on the V40.
    Ya. I looked at the 9 but the largest storage model was expensive. There is a bigger card now. I thing it's just 456 but real expensive.
    11-21-2018 11:14 AM
    All my music is streamed via Spotify or Slacker radio. I've never had FLAC or heard them and I'm not going to start reinvesting in music now. Not saying it's bad, I'd love to have the high quality files and equipment to support it. However convenience trumps fidelity at this point for me as my wife and kids also use Spotify. So honestly the music features may be wasted on me with the V40.
    11-21-2018 11:44 AM
    All my music is streamed via Spotify or Slacker radio. I've never had FLAC or heard them and I'm not going to start reinvesting in music now. Not saying it's bad, I'd love to have the high quality files and equipment to support it. However convenience trumps fidelity at this point for me as my wife and kids also use Spotify. So honestly the music features may be wasted on me with the V40.
    At least until the Spotify Hi Res gets out of testing. It takes forever. I loved Slacker for what it does but the sound quality on both of those services is quite frankly terrible. But I always tell people if you like the sound then it doesn't matter what others think. I used to work part time at Radio Shack. I sold twice as many stereos as others be a use I told them not to think about the price but to listen. If the $100 reciever sounds as good to you as the $500 high end model then why buy the $500 unit. Sound is very subjective. I did pro sound and studio producing in the 80s so my ears are somewhat trained to hear things others don't. In all honesty if it were not for the sound I would not buy LG. Nice phones and now with a great camera. But Samsung was my go to before the V Series though I did own an original Droid
    11-21-2018 11:57 AM
    Everytime you check the date it will tell you the current software is that date. You need to check it in the software version area. It will show the security update as October. But if you just got an over the air you are probably on a carrier either on the ball or way behind.
    Android security patch shows Nov 1st
    Greymire likes this.
    11-21-2018 01:13 PM
    It's not that music isn't important. I love music but I hate wires and while my wired earbuds sound really nice I always end up watching them on something or jerking my phone off the deal onto the floor. I hate wires.

My biggest concern is probably camera and screen size at this point. Also UI and experience. I am currently using a pixel 2 and while updates are nice and I thought I needed them when I bought this they've not been a big deal to me. Especially with all the little bigs and quarks this thing has. I'm just worried that while the 6T looks great, the LG might be the more refined device because LG has been doing it longer.
    Go with the V40, you will not regret it. Coming from a V30 the 6T feels like a downgrade based off the spec sheet. No IP rating, or wireless charging. Plus having a headphone jack is always better than not having one. You never know when you will need it even besides the point that wired music still sounds better than wireless even with LDAC and AptX HD. The wide angle and telephoto cameras also make a huge difference in situations plus the audio recording prowess can't be beat as well (2304kbps PCM vs 128kbps AAC in the 6T). On top of that, the V40 was found to have the best reception of all the other phones released. So you are definitely getting alot more phone with the price difference.
    11-21-2018 02:02 PM
    Android security patch shows Nov 1st
    Nice. You must be the carrier that is getting them quick. I don't remember which it was (T Mobile maybe) that's gets them fast. Verizon was two weeks later the last time. I have called out Verizon for slow updates in the past and all they ever day is that it is testing and they will not release it until they are certain it will not be an issue.
    11-21-2018 02:25 PM
    Nice. You must be the carrier that is getting them quick. I don't remember which it was (T Mobile maybe) that's gets them fast. Verizon was two weeks later the last time. I have called out Verizon for slow updates in the past and all they ever day is that it is testing and they will not release it until they are certain it will not be an issue.
    I'm on Verizon but it's the unlocked version, not Verizon's so I wasn't sure what I'd be getting as far as updates but the update came a couple of days ago.
    11-21-2018 02:50 PM
    I was in the same boat last week. V40 or 6T.
    After comparing them in store and reviewing specs. I opted for the V40.
    For me the decision was
    V40 better screen / quality.
    Removable storage option. Got a 128GB card a few months ago.
    Better camera options.
    Higher quality audio DAC. I do on occasion listen to music with wired headphones.

So with the price dropping to 720 it made the decision much easier, for me anyway.
    gendo667, eric12341 and middbrew like this.
    11-21-2018 05:25 PM
    I see the black Friday deal for the 6T is getting lower.
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=9hjx7ofO

That being said, I'd still go with the Black Friday deals going on for the V40.
    11-22-2018 01:23 PM
    Yes, T-Mobile is selling the One Plus 6T throughout their retail outlets and on their website. They are only selling one version, the gloss black one.

I'm very happy with my V40 and I'm glad I went with it over the 6T.
    Yeah, OnePlus has no headphone jack, the notch looks uncomfortably weird, and they have a history of including spyware on their devices and not being transparent about it (plus quality issues like upside-down screen). All Chinese phones try extremely hard to look like Apple's iOS UI.. it's sad the lack of innovation in Chinese phones.
    11-27-2018 12:43 PM
    I was in the same boat last week. V40 or 6T.
    After comparing them in store and reviewing specs. I opted for the V40.
    For me the decision was
    V40 better screen / quality.
    Removable storage option. Got a 128GB card a few months ago.
    Better camera options.
    Higher quality audio DAC. I do on occasion listen to music with wired headphones.

So with the price dropping to 720 it made the decision much easier, for me anyway.
    No headphone jack is a bummer on OnePlus.. plus they don't have a micro SD expansion. Why spend hundreds of dollars for LESS features? Who cares if it's "faster" it's not really that much faster. FYI OnePlus still tries hard to be similar to Apple...
    11-27-2018 12:45 PM
    On paper the 6T is a beast but in the hand I find that it feels cheap, just my opinion but I find that Oneplus phones lack on in-hand feel. How important this will vary from person to person.

Also an always on display and wireless charging are 2 features I have just got used to having.

I'd actually choose the G7 over a OP so would definitely say go for the V40
    12-07-2018 09:00 AM
    On paper the 6T is a beast but in the hand I find that it feels cheap, just my opinion but I find that Oneplus phones lack on in-hand feel. How important this will vary from person to person.

Also an always on display and wireless charging are 2 features I have just got used to having.

Enjoy your G7, it's a great device...
    I had chosen the V40 and I've never looked back.
    12-07-2018 07:17 PM

I've held both and I don't get that cheap feel. Neither felt cheap to me as they are constructed of similar materials. To each their own, maybe you just don't like the lines or the curvature or the OP.

I actually don't miss the AOD like I thought I would. I found myself looking at it constantly. Now with the ambient display I only need to look when it lights up.
    12-07-2018 11:30 PM
    I've held both and I don't get that cheap feel. Neither felt cheap to me as they are constructed of similar materials. To each their own, maybe you just don't like the lines or the curvature or the OP.

I actually don't miss the AOD like I thought I would. I found myself looking at it constantly. Now with the ambient display I only need to look when it lights up.
    He's not going to make the same mistake you did. The V40 is by leaps and bounds superior to the OP6T, even the G7 is.
    12-08-2018 12:13 PM
    He's not going to make the same mistake you did. The V40 is by leaps and bounds superior to the OP6T, even the G7 is.
    Fair enough. We can agree to disagree.
    12-08-2018 12:27 PM

Maybe I just do not like the midnight black colour (which was my only option as I wanted 256gb) it imo felt slippery and quite uninspiring I also think the haptics added to my the impression of cheapness at least for me.

This was just my personal view and everybody will have a different view, for some that speed and software will outweigh any shortcomings. Personally an always on display is something I have just got so used to having, likewise wireless charging.
    12-10-2018 03:53 AM
    Whitestone Dome Glass. It's the only way to get full adhesion to the screen with the perfect deep black color, maintain touch sensitivity, and actually have the curves properly covered.
    12-13-2018 04:03 PM
151 ... 4567