V40 or OnePlus 6T

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've handled a 6T at my Tmo store and it is a nice piece of kit. You said in an earlier post that music was not that important to you so that negates the lack of headphone jack and DAC on the 6T.

An OS skin is a skin. Some of the skin features on my V40 I like, some I don't. I'm sure I would have the same experience with any skin. The real challenge is OS updates and the only way to get the fastest updates (without rooting) is a Pixel from Google. If you have a carrier phone, you will wait longer. How much longer will depend on the phone manufacturer AND the carrier.

Based on your lack of need for music and your discussions on pricing, it seems to me that the priority in your decision making process is cost. If this is correct, go with the 6T. If this is not correct, look at your priorities for a new phone and go with it.

If the 6T had a headphone jack, I would probably have gone for it. The window of holiday savings won't be open long.
It's not that music isn't important. I love music but I hate wires and while my wired earbuds sound really nice I always end up watching them on something or jerking my phone off the deal onto the floor. I hate wires.

My biggest concern is probably camera and screen size at this point. Also UI and experience. I am currently using a pixel 2 and while updates are nice and I thought I needed them when I bought this they've not been a big deal to me. Especially with all the little bigs and quarks this thing has. I'm just worried that while the 6T looks great, the LG might be the more refined device because LG has been doing it longer.

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
As far as updates go, I received the October update when I first fired up my phone 2 weeks ago and just received a November update yesterday so maybe LG's new update office is working out.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
That's the problem. I think while the V40 has a a lot of nice features and it will be perfectly fine. I think the raw power of the 6T with the customizations Oxygen OS offers will make for a nice experience. Plus again, $140 price difference.

It really sounds like you would be happy with either choice. My brother had the same dilemma regarding the Note9 and the V40. He liked features that each provided. I told him he couldn't go wrong with either device. I think the same applies to you here.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
It's not that music isn't important. I love music but I hate wires and while my wired earbuds sound really nice I always end up watching them on something or jerking my phone off the deal onto the floor. I hate wires.

My biggest concern is probably camera and screen size at this point. Also UI and experience. I am currently using a pixel 2 and while updates are nice and I thought I needed them when I bought this they've not been a big deal to me. Especially with all the little bigs and quarks this thing has. I'm just worried that while the 6T looks great, the LG might be the more refined device because LG has been doing it longer.
It seems like even Bluetooth sounds better. I often use Bluetooth while walking but as a bit of an audiophile I can only deal with them for a bit. First you lose noticeable tone on MP3's then lose more on Bluetooth. I prefer flac but it takes up a ton of space. If the phone had more storage I might go all flac. I have a 400gig micro in it and it's near full. My son has the note 9. It is super nice but the sound quality is inferior or I might have went that way. I think the camera is better on the V40 also and every update so far has had camera improvements and I expect more. The V40 is easier to use one handed as well. Not sure how the 10 will be.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
It seems like even Bluetooth sounds better. I often use Bluetooth while walking but as a bit of an audiophile I can only deal with them for a bit. First you lose noticeable tone on MP3's then lose more on Bluetooth. I prefer flac but it takes up a ton of space. If the phone had more storage I might go all flac. I have a 400gig micro in it and it's near full. My son has the note 9. It is super nice but the sound quality is inferior or I might have went that way. I think the camera is better on the V40 also and every update so far has had camera improvements and I expect more. The V40 is easier to use one handed as well. Not sure how the 10 will be.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I too use a lot of flac for my music and wish there was another option beyond the 400GB micro card. I get a little chuckle every time is see the Note9 ad that talks about the feature of 1TB of storage availability. If that was possible, at a reasonable price, I'd have it on the V40.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm on Verizon but have the unlocked version from B&H so I'm not sure what schedule I would be on.
I believe once it's tied to a carrier you are on their schedule but maybe not. We got the October update the same day as one of the other carries this time which is an improvement to the past. It seemed like we were at least a month behind on the V30

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I believe once it's tied to a carrier you are on their schedule but maybe not. We got the October update the same day as one of the other carries this time which is an improvement to the past. It seemed like we were at least a month behind on the V30

Gotcha. My phone did just get an update a couple days ago and it now says its running the Nov. 1st software.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Gotcha. My phone did just get an update a couple days ago and it now says its running the Nov. 1st software.
Everytime you check the date it will tell you the current software is that date. You need to check it in the software version area. It will show the security update as October. But if you just got an over the air you are probably on a carrier either on the ball or way behind.

Last edited:

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
That pretty much sums it up for me. I too use a lot of flac for my music and wish there was another option beyond the 400GB micro card. I get a little chuckle every time is see the Note9 ad that talks about the feature of 1TB of storage availability. If that was possible, at a reasonable price, I'd have it on the V40.
Ya. I looked at the 9 but the largest storage model was expensive. There is a bigger card now. I thing it's just 456 but real expensive.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
All my music is streamed via Spotify or Slacker radio. I've never had FLAC or heard them and I'm not going to start reinvesting in music now. Not saying it's bad, I'd love to have the high quality files and equipment to support it. However convenience trumps fidelity at this point for me as my wife and kids also use Spotify. So honestly the music features may be wasted on me with the V40.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
All my music is streamed via Spotify or Slacker radio. I've never had FLAC or heard them and I'm not going to start reinvesting in music now. Not saying it's bad, I'd love to have the high quality files and equipment to support it. However convenience trumps fidelity at this point for me as my wife and kids also use Spotify. So honestly the music features may be wasted on me with the V40.
At least until the Spotify Hi Res gets out of testing. It takes forever. I loved Slacker for what it does but the sound quality on both of those services is quite frankly terrible. But I always tell people if you like the sound then it doesn't matter what others think. I used to work part time at Radio Shack. I sold twice as many stereos as others be a use I told them not to think about the price but to listen. If the $100 reciever sounds as good to you as the $500 high end model then why buy the $500 unit. Sound is very subjective. I did pro sound and studio producing in the 80s so my ears are somewhat trained to hear things others don't. In all honesty if it were not for the sound I would not buy LG. Nice phones and now with a great camera. But Samsung was my go to before the V Series though I did own an original Droid

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Everytime you check the date it will tell you the current software is that date. You need to check it in the software version area. It will show the security update as October. But if you just got an over the air you are probably on a carrier either on the ball or way behind.

Android security patch shows Nov 1st

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Go with the V40, you will not regret it. Coming from a V30 the 6T feels like a downgrade based off the spec sheet. No IP rating, or wireless charging. Plus having a headphone jack is always better than not having one. You never know when you will need it even besides the point that wired music still sounds better than wireless even with LDAC and AptX HD. The wide angle and telephoto cameras also make a huge difference in situations plus the audio recording prowess can't be beat as well (2304kbps PCM vs 128kbps AAC in the 6T). On top of that, the V40 was found to have the best reception of all the other phones released. So you are definitely getting alot more phone with the price difference.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Android security patch shows Nov 1st
Nice. You must be the carrier that is getting them quick. I don't remember which it was (T Mobile maybe) that's gets them fast. Verizon was two weeks later the last time. I have called out Verizon for slow updates in the past and all they ever day is that it is testing and they will not release it until they are certain it will not be an issue.

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Nice. You must be the carrier that is getting them quick. I don't remember which it was (T Mobile maybe) that's gets them fast. Verizon was two weeks later the last time. I have called out Verizon for slow updates in the past and all they ever day is that it is testing and they will not release it until they are certain it will not be an issue.

I'm on Verizon but it's the unlocked version, not Verizon's so I wasn't sure what I'd be getting as far as updates but the update came a couple of days ago.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat last week. V40 or 6T.
After comparing them in store and reviewing specs. I opted for the V40.
For me the decision was
V40 better screen / quality.
Removable storage option. Got a 128GB card a few months ago.
Better camera options.
Higher quality audio DAC. I do on occasion listen to music with wired headphones.

So with the price dropping to 720 it made the decision much easier, for me anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463