V40 or OnePlus 6T

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I actually prefer Bixby than Google Assistant, people don't realize it. Bixby is local and not over the cloud so it can work offline. Bixby also has a unique learning system and gets better the more you use it. You can teach Bixby to do anything almost and they are constantly expanding Bixby through user submissions and updates from engineers. They even reward you for using Bixby... Unfortunately, it's only available on Samsung and I'm an LG guy.

Regarding the OP6T.... most of the features? There aren't any features at all, it really is just a basic powerhouse of a phone. No headphone jack, no micro SD, you get what you pay for (or not).
Yeah, they have completely different use cases. I've never used bixby but I have very little use for GA either so.

Do you have a Samsung device now?

T-Mobile will give me $360 right now for my Pixel 2, I'm not sure I can sell it for that but I've only had it for a few months and it seems not enough.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from the V20 as well, can't wait for the V40 to arrive. OnePlus is boring and the specs are overkill.. what are you going to do with 8GB RAM? Plus no headphone jack and no micro SD slot... Lacking so much innovation.

You're going to love it! I had the V20 and then the V30, I'm really enjoying the V40. I'm still learning about what the camera can do, but it's pretty amazing. My brother was moving from the V20 and considered the V40 and the Note9. His battery was giving out and he didn't want to wait so got the Note9. It will be interesting comparing the two when we meet up next week.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
The good thing about Bixby is it's local on your phone and not over the cloud, so if you somehow lose signal you can still get assistance. Also, Bixby learns from you and it has a self learning system and improves overtime. Samsung is also rewarding people with Samsung Pay credit for using Bixby and helping improve it. Google gives you nothing.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info. I do have a Samsung tablet so I'll give it a little more effort in using it.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
From what I've heard you have to use Bixby differently. Its very good for conrolling things on the device because of the level of integration it has into the OS at the hardware level. Whereas GA doesn't get that level of control on a Samsung device and is better for search. So it sounds like you have to learn to use both in conjunction. Still sounds like a hassle and something I don't need and I worry that a button will just be there getting in the way. But the stupid squeeze on my Pixel 2 gets triggered a lot on accident to so a button can't be any worse I guess.

Thanks for the info. IA and how it's being used is definitely the coolest advancement in tech these days.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Well... I walked into my local TMobile store, just to play around with the V40 and I ended up walking out with a V40...

I'm LOVIN' this device!! I'm glad I got it and I'm not even thinking about the 6T anymore. The options with the DAC is awesome!!

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Well... I walked into my local TMobile store, just to play around with the V40 and I ended up walking out with a V40...

I'm LOVIN' this device!! I'm glad I got it and I'm not even thinking about the 6T anymore. The options with the DAC is awesome!!
What sold you on it?

I'm still on the fence, waiting for the 6T to be official to make my decision.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I love having the headphone jack as I own several wired headphones that I love using while at home. The settings and options in the DAC is so good, including DTS X surround sound as well...

I wasn't going to deal with a dongle or USB-C headphones. Not to mention, TMobile gave me $250 for my V20 since I've had from launch. I couldn't resist that deal.

I love the waterdrop notch in the 6T and the price was very enticing, but at the end the V40 ended up the winner (for me)

let's us know what you choose.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I love having the headphone jack as I own several wired headphones that I love using while at home. The settings and options in the DAC is so good, including DTS X surround sound as well...

I wasn't going to deal with a dongle or USB-C headphones. Not to mention, TMobile gave me $250 for my V20 since I've had from launch. I couldn't resist that deal.

I love the waterdrop notch in the 6T and the price was very enticing, but at the end the V40 ended up the winner (for me)

let's us know what you choose.
Will do, right now leaning towards the Note 9 but waiting to get final details on the 6T. I've been wireless with my audio for awhile and while I do like the idea of the DAC and I love good audio wires annoy me. So as good as the note 9 looks and the V40 as well I really am trying to hold out for the 6T as I think it checks all the boxes for me and doesn't have the cup overflowing with features that the note does. Plus the lower price helps.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Will do, right now leaning towards the Note 9

One suggestion. If you haven't already, make sure you hold a Note 9 in your hands before deciding. The curved infinity screen just didn't work for me too slippery. That was one of the nice surprises on the V40....a flat screen.

BTW, unless you plan on using the S Pen, the Note 9 is kind of a waste. IMO, I would look more at the S9+ if your considering a Galaxy phone.

I understand the convenience of wireless, I use Bose QC 35's when I'm on a plane, noise cancelling wins over sound quality. However, I would suggest listening to some music with at least a decent pair of wired headphones on a LG V series phone before you buy, if you are a big music listener. You will be surprised at the difference

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Will do, right now leaning towards the Note 9 but waiting to get final details on the 6T. I've been wireless with my audio for awhile and while I do like the idea of the DAC and I love good audio wires annoy me. So as good as the note 9 looks and the V40 as well I really am trying to hold out for the 6T as I think it
checks all the boxes for me and doesn't have the cup overflowing with features that the note does. Plus the lower price helps.

I use wired at home and I use wireless when I'm out and about. Bluetooth is really good so far, both with my earbuds and JBL speaker. I'll play around with BT in the car tomorrow.

Note 9 is nice as I was comparing it to the V40. The screen on the Samsung is beautiful but the curved screen also makes it seem like you're losing real estate.

It all comes down to personal preference. I'm sure you won't go wrong with either the Note 9, V40, or 6T.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
One suggestion. If you haven't already, make sure you hold a Note 9 in your hands before deciding. The curved infinity screen just didn't work for me too slippery. That was one of the nice surprises on the V40....a flat screen.

BTW, unless you plan on using the S Pen, the Note 9 is kind of a waste. IMO, I would look more at the S9+ if your considering a Galaxy phone.

I understand the convenience of wireless, I use Bose QC 35's when I'm on a plane, noise cancelling wins over sound quality. However, I would suggest listening to some music with at least a decent pair of wired headphones on a LG V series phone before you buy, if you are a big music listener. You will be surprised at the difference
I've had a note before the curved screen and did use the spen some but I wasn't a big note taker then. I do a lot more now, I think it's my age as it's getting harder to remember stuff lol.

Honestly, the curved screen and the bixby button are the two things holding me back. I've never loved the feel of the curved screen and as a mechanical engineer I think it's a stupid design too. However the note 9 seems to have the least amount of curve on the edge but that and the bixby button are what have me waiting for the 6T.

I'll admit, what has me pulling back on the V40 is the camera, I'm not seeing a whole lot that impresses me on it. In fact I think the G7 had better pics in reviews. IDK what to think about it, and having a Pixel 2 right now going back to LG's skin bothers me some but I also think Pie on the Pixel is a bloody mess right now. Only thing I like about this phone is the camera and the overall size. The rest of it bugs the hell out of me. I hate the new material design, the horizontal recent apps menu and the gesture navigation. They weren't broken and didn't need to change.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You're going to love it! I had the V20 and then the V30, I'm really enjoying the V40. I'm still learning about what the camera can do, but it's pretty amazing. My brother was moving from the V20 and considered the V40 and the Note9. His battery was giving out and he didn't want to wait so got the Note9. It will be interesting comparing the two when we meet up next week.
You had time to make a comparison? I am convinced to purchase a v40 once ATT puts a good deal on it. Hopefully Black Friday will drop it a bit. B&H dropped it to 750 the other day, but i think with the upcoming 7nm chip set on next years flagships makes me want to do a carrier one year upgrade option for the v40.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm liking the V40 better than the V20 and the V30. The one thing I did like better was the on/off button and the fingerprint sensor combination. I'm not a big fan of the separate button. That being said I am getting use to it.

The battery life on the V40 isn't as good as the V30. I could get a good 12 hours of medium to heavy use out of the V30 and still have around 15-20% left. With the V40 I'm getting around 10 hours. Compared to my brother's Note9, he's still has 50% left but he's not quite as heavy a user as I am. But I figure with the same use he would be no lower than 30% after 12 hours.

The camera is a pretty good improvement over the V30 and a huge improvement over the V20. Compared to the Note9, we took the same pic from the same distance with similar settings. Both of us that the pic were hard to tell the difference. A Pixel owner was there as well and actually thought the V40 had better colors. I thought the V40 had a better blue to the sky, but other than that not really any difference.

There's not question the sound was better on the V40 when using a pair of Sennheiser HD650. When playing the same music and listening to the external speakers, again the sound was really good on both. The Pixel owner thought the V40 has a little richer sound.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm liking the V40 better than the V20 and the V30. The one thing I did like better was the on/off button and the fingerprint sensor combination. I'm not a big fan of the separate button. That being said I am getting use to it.

The battery life on the V40 isn't as good as the V30. I could get a good 12 hours of medium to heavy use out of the V30 and still have around 15-20% left. With the V40 I'm getting around 10 hours. Compared to my brother's Note9, he's still has 50% left but he's not quite as heavy a user as I am. But I figure with the same use he would be no lower than 30% after 12 hours.

The camera is a pretty good improvement over the V30 and a huge improvement over the V20. Compared to the Note9, we took the same pic from the same distance with similar settings. Both of us that the pic were hard to tell the difference. A Pixel owner was there as well and actually thought the V40 had better colors. I thought the V40 had a better blue to the sky, but other than that not really any difference.

There's not question the sound was better on the V40 when using a pair of Sennheiser HD650. When playing the same music and listening to the external speakers, again the sound was really good on both. The Pixel owner thought the V40 has a little richer sound.
That's awesome. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but battery life is really irrelevant for me as long as the phone has wireless charging and quick charge. Make no mistake, if given two exact same phones, just one was thicker with more battery, sure I'll take the battery. But I'll never pick a phone because of battery life.

At the end of the day, I will interact with the things about a phone way longer than i will with charging. I'd rather have 10 hours of experience with the perfect phone for me and 1 hour of quick charge (or constant topping off on my wireless charger at my desk) than not to have to charge but have to deal with something about a phone that i don't like.

Not that their is anything really wrong about the Note 9, but the simple difference of LG opting to use a button for Google now vs Samsung using their own thing is worth the loss of battery life. Also, the wide angle lens is something that I will use so much, an extra 5 hours of battery life every give me that experience with a note.

Basically wireless charging and portable quick charge battery packs have totally cured my battery anxiety.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but battery life is really irrelevant for me as long as the phone has wireless charging and quick charge. Make no mistake, if given two exact same phones, just one was thicker with more battery, sure I'll take the battery. But I'll never pick a phone because of battery life.

At the end of the day, I will interact with the things about a phone way longer than i will with charging. I'd rather have 10 hours of experience with the perfect phone for me and 1 hour of quick charge (or constant topping off on my wireless charger at my desk) than not to have to charge but have to deal with something about a phone that i don't like.

Not that their is anything really wrong about the Note 9, but the simple difference of LG opting to use a button for Google now vs Samsung using their own thing is worth the loss of battery life. Also, the wide angle lens is something that I will use so much, an extra 5 hours of battery life every give me that experience with a note.

Basically wireless charging and portable quick charge battery packs have totally cured my battery anxiety.
A thoight about quick charge withe the V40 vs the Note 9. LG is using QC3.0 I think and Samsung is using 2.0 which is like a 4 year old standard and not as fast more efficient.

I'm with you though. While I like a big battery so long as I can add half a charge or top off in under an hour and the phone doesn't eat the battery while I'm not using it so I can count on it having juice when I do I'm not super concerned about how long the battery lasts these days and most of the time I'm near a charger anyway at home, work or in the car.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
For me, the quick charge 3.0 makes the smaller battery a non-issue. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to not have to charge until I turn in for the night. But doing so late in the evening isn't that big of a deal for me.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
For me, the quick charge 3.0 makes the smaller battery a non-issue. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to not have to charge until I turn in for the night. But doing so late in the evening isn't that big of a deal for me.
No the great thing about quick charge is it's so fast and easy and in my opinion trumps wireless. If I have a heavy usage day I can plug in late afternoon for 15-30 minutes before going home and if I don't get the chance I can do it in the car and get a nice bump for the evening and be just fine.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
No the great thing about quick charge is it's so fast and easy and in my opinion trumps wireless. If I have a heavy usage day I can plug in late afternoon for 15-30 minutes before going home and if I don't get the chance I can do it in the car and get a nice bump for the evening and be just fine.

I think we are saying the same thing. Because the QC 3.0 charges so fast it make the smaller battery a non-issue. At least it does for me.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I think we are saying the same thing. Because the QC 3.0 charges so fast it make the smaller battery a non-issue. At least it does for me.
Yep. Now I do like wireless for my nightstand. But during the day on the go fast charging is the way to go for me.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
The 6T was announced today and although it's a beautiful device and the price is attractive, I'm happy I went with the V40 after all...

Oxygen with 9.0 was tempting, especially for the price point and trade in offers that TMobile is doing. BUT, the headphone jack and the incredible DAC with DTS X Surround wins out every day of the week over a phone with a dongle...

I use Bluetooth buds when I'm out and about and wired headphones when at home. I love that option...

For me, the V40 wins out. I'm loving my device and now I'm checking out wireless chargers, I gotta accessorize lol