V40 or OnePlus 6T

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm a fan of TMobile as well and I totally agree, their accessories are WAAAYYY overpriced. They try to move me into an Outter Box case (They are good cases) that was huge and ridiculously priced...

Found some good stuff on eBay and Amazon for a fraction of the price of the Outter Box.

All carrier stores sell accessories at a ridiculous rate.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Fake news.....not my experience at all! I've been buying inexpensive tempered glass screen protectors off of Amazon for me and my family members for many, many years with great success. Just sayin'......:)

Oh, for sure! I just meant that sometimes, in some instances, that can work. Definitely not the rule! But like you, I usually buy inexpensive ones that work great! It's all in the brand that you choose and how it works for you. I always look at Amazon reviews before buying them, and I also weed out the expensive ones from my search. I don't buy expensive if I don't have to! :)

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I ended up going with the 6T. Nothing at all against the V40, as I absolutely love my G6 and the V40 was going to be everything the G6 is and better.

The reason I went with the 6T is basically because the some of the things that the V40 does that are superior than the 6T, are things that are awesome, but things I don't use very often.

I got the G6 because we got a 2 for 1 deal through AT&T. So in my mind the 5 things that the V40 obviously wins are:

1) DAC/Headphone jack
2) SD card
3)Wide-Angle Lens
4) Wireless Charging
5) Carrier payment plan

I'm not a huge music guy, when I do I stream it. More of a podcast guy, so all of my audio is already bluetooth. I did splurge on the 256 gb model, so that should cover me for 2 years without having to delete any photos. I definitely am going to miss the wide angle lens and the wireless charging. At the end of the day though, I decided to go unlocked with a 6 month interest free through PayPal, so going away from AT&T was the thing that pushed me over the edge.

Hopefully the larger battery and super smoothness of the OS for the 6T will make up for the lack of wireless charging. I am going to miss that wide-angle though. I probably will keep my G6 in my bag just for the times that a wide angle lens is needed.

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
We switched from ATT to Tmobile recently and my Pixel XL has been feeling a bit long in the tooth. I was able to put my hands on the 6T, v40 and Pixel 3 today. I liked the v40 more than I thought I would, but not for $900+. $750 is reasonable, but the NIB deals for the Tmo v40 on Swappa were irresistible so I bought one.

The 6T is nice and definitely priced right, but for similar money with the headphone jack, DAC and SD card slot, the v40 was a no brainer for me. The only real downside to the v40 is that it's still running Oreo (and there is that notch).

That all being said, I absolutely loved the size of the Pixel 3 and had absolutely no issues with the gestures. I expect that once the newness of the v40 wears off a bit, I'll order a Pixel 3 for daily use and keep the v40 as a dedicated DAP (rather than buying a mobile DAC+Headphone Amp to pair with the Pixel 3) and spare phone when traveling.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
We switched from ATT to Tmobile recently and my Pixel XL has been feeling a bit long in the tooth. I was able to put my hands on the 6T, v40 and Pixel 3 today. I liked the v40 more than I thought I would, but not for $900+. $750 is reasonable, but the NIB deals for the Tmo v40 on Swappa were irresistible so I bought one.

The 6T is nice and definitely priced right, but for similar money with the headphone jack, DAC and SD card slot, the v40 was a no brainer for me. The only real downside to the v40 is that it's still running Oreo (and there is that notch).

That all being said, I absolutely loved the size of the Pixel 3 and had absolutely no issues with the gestures. I expect that once the newness of the v40 wears off a bit, I'll order a Pixel 3 for daily use and keep the v40 as a dedicated DAP (rather than buying a mobile DAC+Headphone Amp to pair with the Pixel 3) and spare phone when traveling.
I waivered really hard on the V40. Really love what LG of doing. They are just a few tweaks away from being the absolute perfect phone. I definitely am a bit anxious with possible buyers remorse. I will have an upgrade available if the OnePlus doesn't work out. Being an unlocked phone it'll hold it's value pretty decently.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I ended up going with the 6T. Nothing at all against the V40, as I absolutely love my G6 and the V40 was going to be everything the G6 is and better.

The reason I went with the 6T is basically because the some of the things that the V40 does that are superior than the 6T, are things that are awesome, but things I don't use very often.

I got the G6 because we got a 2 for 1 deal through AT&T. So in my mind the 5 things that the V40 obviously wins are:

1) DAC/Headphone jack
2) SD card
3)Wide-Angle Lens
4) Wireless Charging
5) Carrier payment plan

I'm not a huge music guy, when I do I stream it. More of a podcast guy, so all of my audio is already bluetooth. I did splurge on the 256 gb model, so that should cover me for 2 years without having to delete any photos. I definitely am going to miss the wide angle lens and the wireless charging. At the end of the day though, I decided to go unlocked with a 6 month interest free through PayPal, so going away from AT&T was the thing that pushed me over the edge.

Hopefully the larger battery and super smoothness of the OS for the 6T will make up for the lack of wireless charging. I am going to miss that wide-angle though. I probably will keep my G6 in my bag just for the times that a wide angle lens is needed.

Let's us know how you're doing with the 6T as your daily device, pros/cons, etc. I was seriously leaning towards the 6T but for me, the headphone jack, DAC, and wireless charging won out...

I love the V40 and I'm glad I went with this device. These days all flagships are pretty much good, it just comes down to personal preference.

Enjoy the 6T and keep us posted.

neilk

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I went to T-Mobile today and looked at both the 6T and the V40. With my 66 year old eyes I found the V40 much easier to read even without corrective lenses. I could read the smallest text on the V40. I also listen to music daily and have 3 pairs of wired headphones so that is another plus for the V40. The 6T still has much going for it, particularly in price. The T-Mobile folks told me that their "Magenta Friday" deals start on Nov. 15th so I am waiting to see what those are.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
The T-Mobile folks told me that their "Magenta Friday" deals start on Nov. 15th so I am waiting to see what those are.

Great tip. I guess yesterday when I went to look at the same two phones I shouldn't have said, "I'm just looking around."

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile is supposed to be doing its Magenta Friday soon, in which supposedly they're going to be offering some good deals on all their flagship devices...

I'm really into my V40 and I'm glad I upgraded from the V20. although I'm still a little intrigued by the 6T, I might just "pop in" during their Magenta Friday and see what kind of deal their offering on the 6T. I'm definitely sticking with the V40, no doubt about that, but maybe I can play around with the 6T for a bit....

If the price is right then maybe my mom is getting a new phone for Xmas lol. Her Galaxy S6 is getting a little long in the tooth lol.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
T-Mobile is supposed to be doing its Magenta Friday soon, in which supposedly they're going to be offering some good deals on all their flagship devices...

I'm really into my V40 and I'm glad I upgraded from the V20. although I'm still a little intrigued by the 6T, I might just "pop in" during their Magenta Friday and see what kind of deal their offering on the 6T. I'm definitely sticking with the V40, no doubt about that, but maybe I can play around with the 6T for a bit....

If the price is right then maybe my mom is getting a new phone for Xmas lol. Her Galaxy S6 is getting a little long in the tooth lol.
I did the "pop in". The V40 seemed like the phone I'd walk away with. And yes, I'm waiting on the Magenta Friday deal to see if I can grab some savings with a cheaper upgrade. If not, I'm content to wait.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I did the "pop in". The V40 seemed like the phone I'd walk away with. And yes, I'm waiting on the Magenta Friday deal to see if I can grab some savings with a cheaper upgrade. If not, I'm content to wait.

Sounds good! I'm sure whichever way you decide you won't be disappointed. I can tell you that I'm absolutely loving my V40. Like i said, either way you cant go wrong...

When the time comes, let us know what device (if any) you went with.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Sounds good! I'm sure whichever way you decide you won't be disappointed. I can tell you that I'm absolutely loving my V40. Like i said, either way you cant go wrong...

When the time comes, let us know what device (if any) you went with.

I will, one way or the other. I'd be upgrading from the S8 and I've got the itch. After seeing the V40, I love the idea of throwing Nova on that phone, having had several LG phones. But the S10 looms large for me.

Honestly, I wish LG would put their P-OLED on the G8. I prefer a smaller device.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
It's quite awful in comparison. LG has some of the best haptics for an Android device, while OnePlus has some of the worst.
This is interesting. I am not one to be keen on how good haptics are. I had the G6 and it seemed really good with haptics. I can't feel much of a difference with the OnePlus, but I'm sure there is I just am not that sensitive to it. When I get home I'll try and put them side by side and see if I can feel the difference.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
IDK, I thought the haptics were terrible on my G6, it's one of the things that drove me nuts and made me switch to a pixel 2. Half the time they didn't work so you would get no feedback.

I've played with the 6T on three separate occasions at three different stores and it seemed fine. I love a lot of what the V40 offers but I don't think it's worth $340 more than the 6T.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
IDK, I thought the haptics were terrible on my G6, it's one of the things that drove me nuts and made me switch to a pixel 2. Half the time they didn't work so you would get no feedback.

I've played with the 6T on three separate occasions at three different stores and it seemed fine. I love a lot of what the V40 offers but I don't think it's worth $340 more than the 6T.
Are the V40's haptics much better than G6 and/or 6T?

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I transitioned to my v40 on Wednesday night and I'm really liking this phone. Coming from Nexus and Pixel phones, the LG software is better / less burdensome that I would have expected, albeit working through the myriad Settings can get a bit tedious. My only real complaint is related to Oreo and its notifications implementation, but that's an Android issue exacerbated by the fact that I've been running Pie on my Pixel XL, so the Pie update can't come soon enough for me.

And the haptic feedback is definitely crisp and satisfying, no reason to complain there.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Okay Trump. I buy inexpensive screen protectors as well, except when they aren't full adhesive like the one you mentioned earlier. If it only has glue around the border it's a hard pass. I don't want touch sensitivity issues or rainbow effect. Glad it works for you, but I'd rather pay extra for full adhesive.

He's right, you don't need "name brand" screen protectors.. there are many "generic" screen protectors on Amazon and they work good.. just gotta look up the reviews. I really like the Glass M brand I got on Amazon for $12 (included 2 screen protectors and lifetime warranty). I think T-Mobile has their own screen protector but it costs around $40. I know Best Buy rips people off with screen protectors, selling the Zagg glass screen protector for like $35 or more.. ($25 for the wet install version). Thing is, people buy them at the store but it's cheaper to buy it on your own... these things come from China.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Are the V40's haptics much better than G6 and/or 6T?

The haptic feedback is VERY good on the V40.. they improved it a LOT. It's very sensitive, but doesn't make a loud noise. I think the BoomBox sound chamber helps with the vibration as well (I could be wrong). I turned down the vibration strength because it was too high.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc