12-22-2018 10:24 PM
151 123 ...
tools
    I'm upgrading my V20 at the end of the month/beginning of November. I'm really torn between both devices.

Love my V20, especially the DAC & removable battery. The 6T battery is going to be stronger than the V40.
    Although the V40 will have better specs, can I justify paying $900+ for a LG device? Especially when the 6T is going to be significantly cheaper in price....

There will be pros and cons for both. Decisions, decisions.
    10-03-2018 10:15 PM
    I'm upgrading my V20 at the end of the month/beginning of November. I'm really torn between both devices.

Love my V20, especially the DAC & removable battery. The 6T battery is going to be stronger than the V40.
    Although the V40 will have better specs, can I justify paying $900+ for a LG device? Especially when the 6T is going to be significantly cheaper in price....

Two nice phones. So many deciding factors when buying a new phone these days. One person's dream list is another person's meh.

Good luck deciding.
    10-03-2018 10:39 PM
    Does the OP6T have double tap to wake/sleep? After using LG phones the last several years, it's a feature that it's difficult to live without. In a few months, the price of the LG will drop significantly. I'm going to look for a V30/V35 in the next several months as the price will certainly fall.
    10-04-2018 08:47 AM
    How is OnePlus vibration? Cuz I loooooove the v35s
    10-06-2018 01:28 PM

OnePlus got rid of their headphone jack and they don't have a micro SD, two essentials that are a must for me. OnePlus has raised their prices, and continue to design their phones based on the lastest iPhone. You get what you pay for.. if I'm paying flagship prices, I expect more features than the simple barbone basics. Camera app will probably suck but there's always the GCam.

FYI the V40 isn't the ONLY choice at $900, the V30, V30+, and V35 are still perfect choices and the later has the latest Snapdragon 845 and upgraded specs, should cost much less now. There is also the G7. They are not discontinued just yet.
    10-06-2018 02:30 PM
    OnePlus got rid of their headphone jack and they don't have a micro SD, two essentials that are a must for me.
    That's two of the biggest reasons I won't get a OnePlus device. With almost 200GB of music I have to have the SD capabilities. And I listen to that music through wired headphones.
    10-06-2018 03:49 PM
    The headphone jack and DAC are the main selling points for me in getting a V40. Although, $920+ is a lot to pay for a LG device running 8.1 and a run-of-the-mill battery...

Whereas the 6T will be running 9.0, a bigger battery, and about $150-$200 cheaper (according to rumors) although specs are comparable on the 6T, the V40 will have wireless charging and will be water resistant.

The headphone jack thou... Can I live with an inferior sounding USB-C headphone dongle? Can't listen to music while charging the device either... But that teardrop notch on the 6T looks really good.

I guess it comes down to what features am I willing to live with or give up. Especially where price is starting to become an issue.

But if I'm willing to pay $900+ for a V40, do I start looking at the Note 9 then??
    10-06-2018 09:38 PM
    The headphone jack and DAC are the main selling points for me in getting a V40. Although, $920+ is a lot to pay for a LG device running 8.1 and a run-of-the-mill battery...

Whereas the 6T will be running 9.0, a bigger battery, and about $150-$200 cheaper (according to rumors) although specs are comparable on the 6T, the V40 will have wireless charging and will be water resistant.

The headphone jack thou... Can I live with an inferior sounding USB-C headphone dongle? Can't listen to music while charging the device either... But that teardrop notch on the 6T looks really good.

I guess it comes down to what features am I willing to live with or give up. Especially where price is starting to become an issue.

But if I'm willing to pay $900+ for a V40, do I start looking at the Note 9 then??
    I would really wait and buy the V40...better hardware...plus triple camera ...headfone Jack..sd card slot..wireless charging...water resistant
    jmssarno likes this.
    10-06-2018 10:40 PM
    I would really wait and buy the V40...better hardware...plus triple camera ...headfone Jack..sd card slot..wireless charging...water resistant
    Yeah, I'm leaning that way. I was planning on upgrading my V20 at the end of this month or the beginning of November...

What I'm thinking now is holding out for a bit to see if the V40 drops in price or we get a "holiday" sale or something.

But I'll be at my local TMobile store putting both devices to the test.
    10-06-2018 10:53 PM

Personally I would buy the V40 over the Note 9 even if they were priced the same.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-07-2018 12:03 AM
    If LG were as serious as they say about software updates then the V40 would have launched on 9.0. That is the showstopper right there.

Pretty sure the OP6t will have a 256gb option which makes the lack of SD less of an issue.

I have an S9+ right now but with Samsung also not interested at all in embracing Project Treble this will be my last Samsung and with LG looking equally uninterested I'll probably be looking at other manufacturers moving forward.
    10-07-2018 03:27 AM
    In the UK at least for anybody wanting an LG both the G7 and V30 are well under £500 now.
    10-07-2018 03:28 AM

I would think the V40 will get Pie fairly soon after it launch. If the price scares you off but you still want the DAC, wireless charging, and waterproof just wait a few months. LG is notorious for their huge price drops.
    10-07-2018 09:52 AM
    The loss of an SD card doesn't bother me when you consider that $700 version of the OnePlus will have 4x the storage. The dilemma for me is that because I have an aux cord in my car, I can get by with EITHER the loss of a headphone jack, OR no wireless charging, but it will be a challenge to lose both. However I don't trust LG for updates and I don't like that the V series is no longer the cutting edge, "norm" breaking device that they used to be.
    10-07-2018 06:47 PM
    Given a choice between those two, I'd go with the LG V40 for obvious reasons:
    1. Headphone jack
    2. Expandable storage
    3. 5 cameras sounds really cool
    4. It has more colour options 😜
    10-11-2018 05:31 PM
    I'm on the fence about upgrading too and the main reasons are the headphone jack and storage, I too listen to a lot of music and carry around a pretty large library. The only two phones out there right now that meet these requirements and I like are the V40 and Note 9.

If you are considering a phone without a headphone jack, one alternative to the regular dongles most phones come with is the Razer dongle, it has a 24 bit DAC built-in. From what I have read, it is a much better piece of kit versus standard dongles.

Even if I got a Note 9, I might still try out the Razer dongle just to compare sound quality between it and the standard DAC on the SD845.
    10-12-2018 11:25 AM
    So one thing I have always wondered about is if the V series, in this case the V40 with the HiFi DAC will do me any good with streaming music. I use Spotify and have for years. I can't tell the difference most of the time between their standard quality and high quality streams or downloads so would something like a V Series just be wasted on me? I haven't bought music in years and have gotten rid of most of my CDs because I never use them. I love good sound, but I'm guessing a HiFi DAC won't do me any good.
    10-12-2018 10:14 PM
    So one thing I have always wondered about is if the V series, in this case the V40 with the HiFi DAC will do me any good with streaming music. I use Spotify and have for years. I can't tell the difference most of the time between their standard quality and high quality streams or downloads so would something like a V Series just be wasted on me? I haven't bought music in years and have gotten rid of most of my CDs because I never use them. I love good sound, but I'm guessing a HiFi DAC won't do me any good.
    Depends on what kind of headphones you have... You need a certain ohm to trigger the dac.. most out on the market are low ohm
    10-13-2018 09:58 AM
    Depends on what kind of headphones you have... You need a certain ohm to trigger the dac.. most out on the market are low ohm
    This is mostly true. The DAC and amp are separate parts of the audio chain. First, you have to use wired headphones to trigger the DAC. Regardless of what headset you use, you will turn-on the DAC, if you are using wired headphones.

The amp is different. It has two modes, regular power and high power. If the wired headset you are using is rated at less than 50 ohms than regular power mode will be engaged. If the wired headset you are using is rated at greater than 50 ohms than the high power mode will be engaged.

Some people "trick" the audio chain into high power mode by plugging in an extension headphone cable into the headphone jack first and then connecting their headphones. Seems as if the device detects "no load" it switches into high power mode.

If you are using wireless headphones, you will not be using the DAC.....wireless headphones have their own DAC built in.

As to whether you will hear a difference in sound quality with streaming services, based on what I have read, your results may vary. Some have noticed a difference with some streaming services. Since I store most of my music on my phone, I can't provide any personal experience. When I do stream music, it is generally in my car over Bluetooth so I know the quality is going to be downgraded and I will not be using the separate DAC.
    10-13-2018 11:25 AM
    Doesn't matter, still sounds much better with any headphone. Audio quality is much higher than normal.
    10-15-2018 02:50 PM
    If LG were as serious as they say about software updates then the V40 would have launched on 9.0. That is the showstopper right there.

Pretty sure the OP6t will have a 256gb option which makes the lack of SD less of an issue.

I have an S9+ right now but with Samsung also not interested at all in embracing Project Treble this will be my last Samsung and with LG looking equally uninterested I'll probably be looking at other manufacturers moving forward.
    If you want fast updates, get a Pixel. However, you'll be sacrificing hardware and features. To me, hardware is more important.. you can always mod/hack phones and change the software.
    10-15-2018 02:52 PM
    Doesn't matter, still sounds much better with any headphone. Audio quality is much higher than normal.
    No it DOES matter... If you have to low ohm headphones, you never trigger the amp...
    10-15-2018 03:16 PM
    No it DOES matter... If you have to low ohm headphones, you never trigger the amp...
    But you DO trigger the DAC and the separate DAC on the V series does provide improved sound quality over the DAC on the Snap Dragon or any other DAC included on a SoC. Remember that the DAC and amp are separate parts of the audio chain. Unless you have a hearing issue, the high power amp should not matter with low ohm head phones.
    10-16-2018 03:53 PM
    I'm torn. I love the hardware and features of the V40 but LG's software and the camera on my pixel 2 are keeping me away
    10-16-2018 07:27 PM
    I'm torn. I love the hardware and features of the V40 but LG's software and the camera on my pixel 2 are keeping me away
    GCam will be extracted from the Pixel 3 and ported over to the V40 so you basically get the same exact camera experience as the pixel. The hardware is there, IMX363 with dual pixel.. install GCam and it's game over. The thing with LG is that you can at least install themes so you can change the UI look, with stock Android you are stuck with the same look forever (I have a pure Android Motorola and I'm getting sick of looking at it, it's too plain). If you really like the Pixel launcher, you can actually install the .apk and it's the same launcher as the Pixel. Keep in mind, LG did in fact create the Pixel 2 XL entirely and provided screens for the 3 XL.
    10-17-2018 09:11 AM
151 123 ...