I saw the T-Mobile display unit not having the default LG FM tuner on there, however it had the Next Radio app installed instead... can anyone confirm if it has an FM radio tuner? I think the US unlocked versions will NOT have it... They never do, possibly because of some FCC regulations or something.. but usually some carrier versions include it. If you already have the V40, let us know your model and carrier and if it has it or not! FM radio is very good for emergencies and natural disasters, or at the gym you can watch TV and listen to the audio. Certain sports stadiums also have the option to listen to the commentary live in the game with the radio. It's also excellent for camping when you can't get good cell service, FM radio still works.
    10-17-2018 08:49 AM
    I saw the T-Mobile display unit not having the default LG FM tuner on there, however it had the Next Radio app installed instead... can anyone confirm if it has an FM radio tuner? I think the US unlocked versions will NOT have it... They never do, possibly because of some FCC regulations or something.. but usually some carrier versions include it. If you already have the V40, let us know your model and carrier and if it has it or not! FM radio is very good for emergencies and natural disasters, or at the gym you can watch TV and listen to the audio. Certain sports stadiums also have the option to listen to the commentary live in the game with the radio. It's also excellent for camping when you can't get good cell service, FM radio still works.
    I don't see the default FM tuner. However, I do have NextRadio and it works fine. I have the AT&T carrier version V40.
    10-17-2018 09:04 AM
    Next Radio works even without a FM chip, just works by streaming instead. So just because you have it and it works does not mean you have an active FM chip.
    10-17-2018 02:35 PM
    Next Radio works even without a FM chip, just works by streaming instead. So just because you have it and it works does not mean you have an active FM chip.
    It appears it can do both. With my AT&T V40, it is using the FM tuner..."In FM Mode, NextRadio uses a wi-fi or cellular data connection to download album art and other enhanced content, but gets audio via the station's FM broadcast. If you do not have an Internet connection, you can still listen to the radio, but you won't get enhanced content. This allows you to receive potentially life-saving information in an emergency when data networks may be down.

In Streaming Mode, NextRadio gets audio as well as enhanced content via the Internet like other streaming "radio" apps.

Is your device FM-enabled? Visit our Supported Devices page to find out."

Mine says on the app that it is using FM mode
    10-17-2018 02:51 PM
    Next Radio also runs offline and it will give you a notification if your device does not have an FM tuner, then switches to online mode
    10-18-2018 04:10 PM
    It appears it can do both. With my AT&T V40, it is using the FM tuner..."In FM Mode, NextRadio uses a wi-fi or cellular data connection to download album art and other enhanced content, but gets audio via the station's FM broadcast. If you do not have an Internet connection, you can still listen to the radio, but you won't get enhanced content. This allows you to receive potentially life-saving information in an emergency when data networks may be down.

In Streaming Mode, NextRadio gets audio as well as enhanced content via the Internet like other streaming "radio" apps.

Is your device FM-enabled? Visit our Supported Devices page to find out."

Mine says on the app that it is using FM mode
    Can you put your phone on airplane mode (turn off all connections including WiFi) and see if it works?
    10-18-2018 04:11 PM
    I forgot about fm. Verizon always removed it. I need to look now.
    10-19-2018 12:52 PM
    Ok. There is no FM app on Verizon edition but I loaded Nextradio and it detector an FM tuner and it works.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    10-19-2018 01:13 PM
    I really don't understand how VZW works....so glad I moved many years ago. I see no reason not to include the FM radio app.
    10-20-2018 10:30 PM
    I really don't understand how VZW works....so glad I moved many years ago. I see no reason not to include the FM radio app.
    Because they don't make money for data usage if you get free radio.....
    PitCarver likes this.
    10-22-2018 12:38 PM
    The phone from Verizon has the FM chip, just no default FM tuner. It works with NextRadio as stated above.
    10-22-2018 01:09 PM
    I have recently purchased LG V40. As per specifications mentioned on official Indian website, it has FM radio. But I can't find any pre-installed utility to open Local FM tuner. Also, I tried Next radio whose Basic tuner is not able to detect any FM radio signal. Additionally, I tried 3rd party apks to start radio but unfortunately I was not able to play FM radio. Please help!
    02-04-2019 12:22 AM
    I have the Tmobile V40 and launched NextRadio and the first screen said Lucky You. Your device is FM enabled so you can enjoy live, local FM radio. Just plug in some headphones (thats your antenna), and start listening.
    PitCarver likes this.
    02-04-2019 10:20 AM
    The FM Radio app is in with the "Essentials" folder with calculator, health, etc.
    02-04-2019 05:21 PM
    The FM Radio app is in with the "Essentials" folder with calculator, health, etc.
    Not on Verizon.. But it is there.. Just need an app
    02-04-2019 05:29 PM
    Not on Verizon.. But it is there.. Just need an app
    AAhh. I have the unlocked version
    02-05-2019 12:59 PM