V40 Unlocked only $750 at B&H (Includes 256GB micro SD card promo from LG)

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well that price at Best buy could seal the deal. My only concern is looking at the bands listed on Best buy's site the unlocked version doesn't have band 71 for T-Mobile.

Anybody know how LG is with updates on their unlocked devices?

The unlocked versions work fine on T-Mobile, I've never experienced any problems using LG's unlocked phones on T-Mobile. The problem is no T-Mobile default features like WiFi calling... if that isn't important then you're fine.

BTW unlocked phones are the absolute worst for updates... carrier phones gets updates faster and unlocked versions often get abandoned.. they still get updates but it's very slow and infrequent. So if that's a problem too, then get the T-Mobile version.

The T-Mobile version is much cheaper than unlocked if you purchase it second hand off someone else. Just make sure the IMEI is clear and has no unpaid balance due on the device.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
From the link:

No, the unlocked versions have absolutely no carrier apps or features. But the phone should work perfectly fine.. never encountered an issue with connection with the unlocked version LG phones on T-Mobile. The good is there's no bloatware or annoying carrier branding or bootup screen, but sometimes you miss out on carrier features (such as WiFi calling).

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah they told me about the trade in offer when I was in there. If I trade in my Pixel 2, after taxes I'm looking at $615 out the door.

My hesitation is that if they drop the price I might as well keep the Pixel 2 as a backup or give it to my kid as it's only 8 months old and has 16 months of warranty left plus I have preferred care.

Keep it as a backup.. might come in handy if you ever crack your screen.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: V40 Unlocked only $750 at B&H (Includes 256GB micro SD card promo from LG)

The unlocked versions work fine on T-Mobile, I've never experienced any problems using LG's unlocked phones on T-Mobile. The problem is no T-Mobile default features like WiFi calling... if that isn't important then you're fine.

BTW unlocked phones are the absolute worst for updates... carrier phones gets updates faster and unlocked versions often get abandoned.. they still get updates but it's very slow and infrequent. So if that's a problem too, then get the T-Mobile version.

The T-Mobile version is much cheaper than unlocked if you purchase it second hand off someone else. Just make sure the IMEI is clear and has no unpaid balance due on the device.

I've never used WiFi calling but I suppose it would be nice to have. As for updates, it would be nice to get at least quarterly security updates for at least a year. I think if I do it I'll get the T-MOBILE version.

As for bloat, there really wasn't much at all on the one I played with.

My thing is I still am not sure what I'm getting this for. Bigger screen I guess? My pixel 2 has a great camera and gets monthly updates. I guess I need to figure out what I really want first.

The Note 9 is sitting there $20 cheaper with the same trade in deal to.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying this phone, coming from the s8. I want a bigger and non curved screen. Typing is a problem. I won't know about no Samsung pay though.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying this phone, coming from the s8. I want a bigger and non curved screen. Typing is a problem. I won't know about no Samsung pay though.
I can tell you there is still a slight curve on the edge but nothing like what is on your S8 and it's not a functional area either. Also, this will have Android pay which while not as good as Samsung pay it is an option.

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Samsung Pay is great, since it works almost everywhere, but Google Pay hasn't been so bad. I've been using a pixel xl for the past year but recently switched back to my Note 5 until I get something new.

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Exactly, $750 versus $1000 for the Note 9 (B&H has it listed at $999.99). Save an arm and leg. Plus you get a free 256GB micro SD card which is valued around $50. Plus 2 year warranty versus 1.

Trying to hold out until black Friday to see if they do a big special for Note 9. If not, I'm sure the V40 will still be the same price, if not lower. Just may lose out on the micro SD card bonus.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

As for updates, it would be nice to get at least quarterly security updates for at least a year. I think if I do it I'll get the T-MOBILE version.

I think it would be safe to say you will get at least quarterly security updates from Tmo. I still get security updates for my V20, I'd say they average about every other month and at least quarterly

anon(10221500)

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
This kinda ticks me off a bit.
I preordered and received my phone (from Tmo) and now I want to send it back and get it at B&H.
Why shouldn't I save a couple hundred bucks?

And FYI I just went to Best Buy website and they are Out of Stock

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I used to have an S8 and I agree, the curved screen gets old and annoying for everyday usage. It was refreshing to use a FLAT screen again and I never take for granted flat screens afterwards! The LG phones has a slight curve around the edges but not on the actual screen itself, therefore not being annoying or intrusive (just like Apple's iPhone X).

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you there is still a slight curve on the edge but nothing like what is on your S8 and it's not a functional area either. Also, this will have Android pay which while not as good as Samsung pay it is an option.

The problem I had with Samsung Pay are annoying, stuck up cashiers that think I'm trying to scam them using Samsung Pay... I just use my card since then to avoid dealing with that problem.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
This kinda ticks me off a bit.
I preordered and received my phone (from Tmo) and now I want to send it back and get it at B&H.
Why shouldn't I save a couple hundred bucks?

And FYI I just went to Best Buy website and they are Out of Stock

Well if you're a post paid T-Mobile customer, you can still return the phone right if you're not happy with it? I think they charge you a restocking fee though like $75 I think? I haven't bought a phone in a store in a long time.. taxes are too high and price too.

I think you're better off ordering at B&H because you get to avoid paying taxes.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Trying to hold out until black Friday to see if they do a big special for Note 9. If not, I'm sure the V40 will still be the same price, if not lower. Just may lose out on the micro SD card bonus.

The trick with Black Friday Deals are discounting a few times but leaving prices the way they are.. You're better off waiting for Cyber Monday so you don't have to deal with the rowdy crowd of people...

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna see if it's on display at best buy

It's on display at all major carrier stores. Best Buy does a horrible job with display models, especially of the LG phones... And don't even think about going to Fry's Electronics... Carrier stores have the best looking demo displays.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Pay is great, since it works almost everywhere, but Google Pay hasn't been so bad. I've been using a pixel xl for the past year but recently switched back to my Note 5 until I get something new.

Samsung Pay is patented technology, they bought out the company LoopPay... Basically it mimicks the swiping of the magnetic strip of the credit card, so it's pretty much universal on all credit card machines (except the ones where you insert the card). Problem is some cashiers, mostly mom and pop stores, think you're trying to scam them because it needs just looks wrong paying with a smartphone to them.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I've never used WiFi calling but I suppose it would be nice to have. As for updates, it would be nice to get at least quarterly security updates for at least a year. I think if I do it I'll get the T-MOBILE version.

As for bloat, there really wasn't much at all on the one I played with.

My thing is I still am not sure what I'm getting this for. Bigger screen I guess? My pixel 2 has a great camera and gets monthly updates. I guess I need to figure out what I really want first.

The Note 9 is sitting there $20 cheaper with the same trade in deal to.

If updates is what you want, always get the carrier versions.. they get updates more frequently versus unlocked which pretty much gets ignored for some time (they still get updates, just very very slow).

The upgrade from the Pixel 2 XL really is just the flexibility of the extra cameras, getting that headphone jack back with Quad DAC audio, getting a micro SD card slot back, best audio recording because it has 3 omnidirectional mics on it (for content creation). If you really like the Pixel
camera software, just wait until the GCam gets ported over.. then it's really game over. The good thing about LG phones is at least you can download and change themes... stock Android you can't and it gets boring (I have a Google Motorola, default theme is boring and can't be changed, I think that material design is getting old).. BTW LG phones are cheaper too so it won't cost an arm and a leg esp. with phones costing $1000 nowadays. My 2 cents... Honestly the Pixel 2 XL is still a killer device.

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I are near the end of year 3 with our Motorola X Pure's. They've been really solid phones for the most part with the exception of the so so camera and now the batteries are pretty much shot. I started seriously looking at phone reviews a couple of weeks ago and ran across the LG's, which I haven't owned in a smartphone configuration before. I saw that B&H had the V30S on sale for around $600 recently but now it's back up to $680 and the V40 was just lowered to $750. I've also considered the Pixel 2 as I don't really want to spend $1,000 on the latest and greatest.

My wife would like a decent camera as she takes a lot of pictures of the kids sports, etc and a decent battery. She's mostly an email web surfer type. I use my phone about 50% business and 50% personal but mostly email, web, etc. LG just seems to have a lot of overlapping models which makes it confusing so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!