For the folks who have the v40, do you have or are you planning on using a screen protector. The curved edge seems to make that a challenge. Given my phone bouncing experience, going unprotected is too much of a risk and expensive, both for the insurance and for the deductible.
    10-22-2018 10:08 AM
    Yes. I always use tempered glass. The two I have tried this time have not been great. One brand was just a hair too big. It caused the sides to not be flush and edges had air or rainbow. The next set looked perfect but they only had adhesive on the very edges and they pop off if you change cases or if you are not using a case if you just touch the edge right. It took me about two months after release to find a good glass protector for the V30 so this may be the same. The tempered glass has saved me many times.
    10-22-2018 10:13 AM
    For the folks who have the v40, do you have or are you planning on using a screen protector. The curved edge seems to make that a challenge. Given my phone bouncing experience, going unprotected is too much of a risk and expensive, both for the insurance and for the deductible.
    LG addressed the issue with the curved screens not allowing tempered glass screen protectors to be installed... the V30 screen was too curved so it was very difficult to install a tempered glass protector unless you buy the very expensive ones. Starting with the G7 and now V40, the screen portion is flat but the sides have a 2.5d curve just like the iPhone. The glass screen protectors on the V40 typically would have a blacked out border with a little bit of glue on all around it to help stick to the screen. The V40 is flat enough so screen protector installation isn't a problem (unlike Samsung's curved mess) and LG was smart enough to leave a small amount of border space so that you can also use a case with the screen protector and reduce accidental phantom touches that are common on phablet phones.

BTW I got the Mr. Shield brand on Amazon, which has a lifetime warranty so if it ever cracks, send them an email with your Amazon order number and they'll ship you another one free of charge.
    10-22-2018 11:25 AM
    LG addressed the issue with the curved screens not allowing tempered glass screen protectors to be installed... the V30 screen was too curved so it was very difficult to install a tempered glass protector unless you buy the very expensive ones. Starting with the G7 and now V40, the screen portion is flat but the sides have a 2.5d curve just like the iPhone. The glass screen protectors on the V40 typically would have a blacked out border with a little bit of glue on all around it to help stick to the screen. The V40 is flat enough so screen protector installation isn't a problem (unlike Samsung's curved mess) and LG was smart enough to leave a small amount of border space so that you can also use a case with the screen protector and reduce accidental phantom touches that are common on phablet phones.

BTW I got the Mr. Shield brand on Amazon, which has a lifetime warranty so if it ever cracks, send them an email with your Amazon order number and they'll ship you another one free of charge.
    Mr Shield is the one I got that will not stick. I am om screen two of three after one would not stick at all after coming off three times. This one has come of once changing cases. Other than breaking one in my V30 I had one that lasted and is still on headed to VZW for trade in. It wasn't cheap though.
    10-22-2018 11:33 AM
    Every phone I've had the last few years with the 2.5d edge hasn't worked well with tempered screen protectors. Either there's a huge gap on the edge between the screen protector and the case, or if you get one of those ones that are black on the edge and go all the way around the curved edge they don't stick in the middle on the actual screen and you get an air gap and your touch response is terrible. I've had two brands that the adhesive separates from the tempered glass screen protector itself.

For full coverage that leaves you with a plastic flexible ones which do a little more than scratch protection because if they hit anything hard or with a point it's going right through them. Not to mention they feel sticky and draggy when you're trying to use the phone and slide your finger around.

I've went to the liquid protector that looks like a wet wipes and for all I know it could be. But I went to Ubreakifix for it. For $50 they do the application and for one year if you break your screen they replace it for another $20. So again, IDK if it is BS, and it might be but for $70 I am covered and I'm not going back to using screen protectors.
    10-22-2018 12:31 PM
    It took me about two months after release to find a good glass protector for the V30 so this may be the same.
    Yep - i'd give it a couple months - same time frame for a decent case
    10-22-2018 01:41 PM
    Right now no plans to put one on my V40.
    10-22-2018 03:26 PM