Settle for the G7 because of the price?

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Been shopping and researching for a couple weeks and I was looking at the V40 and checking prices again today on T-Mobile's website I noticed that the G7 is only $600 right now and offers almost everything the v40 does except for the telephoto lens, OLED screen, and it's only got 4 gigabytes of RAM but it's also $320 cheaper right now and they have the trade-in promo going I'm at as well. With the trade in I'd get the G7 for $276. I mean, it's a really good deal but the only issue I have is the credits are spread out over 24 months which kind of sucks but it would be the same for the V40 as well.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, from my perspective, the OLED screen is a big plus. My last two phones (the V10 and V20) both had LCD screens which were fine indoors but outdoors.....well.....they sucked!

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, from my perspective, the OLED screen is a big plus. My last two phones (the V10 and V20) both had LCD screens which were fine indoors but outdoors.....well.....they sucked!

Totally agree.

When the always on display is used in the dark (on LCD screens) you can see the whole panel is lit.

The V30 is my first OLED screen and I'm super happy with it.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree.

When the always on display is used in the dark (on LCD screens) you can see the whole panel is lit.

The V30 is my first OLED screen and I'm super happy with it.
Yeah you are right, I remember that from my G6 now. You could always see the backlight in the dark.

SteelSteve

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Though there may be minor differences from one phone to another I can say I just made the same choice and picked the g7. It has no light bleed and I just went into a closet and closed the door with the AOD. It's as black as my Moto Z Force which has an AMOLED display and I see no backlight. Take that for what it's worth.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Been shopping and researching for a couple weeks and I was looking at the V40 and checking prices again today on T-Mobile's website I noticed that the G7 is only $600 right now and offers almost everything the v40 does except for the telephoto lens, OLED screen, and it's only got 4 gigabytes of RAM but it's also $320 cheaper right now and they have the trade-in promo going I'm at as well. With the trade in I'd get the G7 for $276. I mean, it's a really good deal but the only issue I have is the credits are spread out over 24 months which kind of sucks but it would be the same for the V40 as well.

Well it all comes down to the screen size. The G7 is significantly smaller and narrow, better suited for small hands or people who like compact sized phones. The V40 screen is wider and bigger and you can see the difference. The G7 uses a Sony IMX351 sensor and the V40 uses a Sony IMX 363 with dual pixel technology.. not only that but pay attention to the microphone quality.. the V series phones have the best microphone recording in any phone. Lastly, the V40 has an AMOLED screen (all preference here). If none of that is important to you, then the G7 should be a stellar phone. If you really want the absolute best camera experience, just pay a little more more the V40.

FYI, do not pay attention to the "reviews" you see claiming the phone is "lackluster".. it is not and you have to try it out yourself to judge. Battery is fine and lasts 9 hours compared to the Note 9 that lasts 10 hours. Again, the microphone audio recording quality surpasses expectations.. so if video recording is important to you, then the V series is going to be your best choice.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily call it "settling" if you went with the G7 ThinQ - it's a great phone! - however, if you would rather have the V40, I too would recommend waiting a few weeks to see what the Cyber Monday/Christmas deals have to offer.

Good luck! :)

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't necessarily call it "settling" if you went with the G7 ThinQ - it's a great phone! - however, if you would rather have the V40, I too would recommend waiting a few weeks to see what the Cyber Monday/Christmas deals have to offer.

Good luck! :)

Yeah, it's definitely not settling if you went with the G7. One thing is for sure, don't put too much stock into negative reviews of the V40...

I'm getting 5-6.5 hours SOT (You Tube, Social Media, Email, Text) The OLED screen is beautiful, especially when watching 4K content at the highest screen resolution...

It all comes down to personal preference and what's important to you. You can't go wrong with either device, it's that simple. It's what you want in your device and what you're willing to pay for.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it's definitely not settling if you went with the G7. One thing is for sure, don't put too much stock into negative reviews of the V40...

I'm getting 5-6.5 hours SOT (You Tube, Social Media, Email, Text) The OLED screen is beautiful, especially when watching 4K content at the highest screen resolution...

It all comes down to personal preference and what's important to you. You can't go wrong with either device, it's that simple. It's what you want in your device and what you're willing to pay for.

Absolutely. It's what features you are looking for and even which features you are willing to sacrifice for the ones you want more in a phone.

And that's pretty good SOT!

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I would say the V40 has better cameras. The G7 has a smaller sensor with only 1.0 micron pixels, whereas the V40 has a 1.4 micron pixels sensor. 1.4 is the size used by the upper tier phones (Pixels, S9, etc) and captures more detail and especially allows more light for low light shots. The G7 has a very bright display but I've never liked how LG calibrates their LCD screens. The V40 on the other hand has a fantastic OLED display. But like others have said, the display is really subject to preference.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The G7 is a great phone, but if you're okay with paying the extra money or waiting to pick up a phone then the V40 is definitely worth it as well.

neilk

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The $720 price depends on a trade in and is after monthly credits of 3 years. B&H is now selling the unlocked V40 for $750 without any trade in.

steelernole

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
The $720 price depends on a trade in and is after monthly credits of 3 years. B&H is now selling the unlocked V40 for $750 without any trade in.

T-Mobile has them full retail now for $720. I want to the store today to get the LG V40 but they had sold out. The customer before me traded in a galaxy S8 and got the V40 for free after bill credits.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile has them full retail now for $720. I want to the store today to get the LG V40 but they had sold out. The customer before me traded in a galaxy S8 and got the V40 for free after bill credits.
Don't you still have to add a line to get it free though?

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Don't you still have to add a line to get it free though?

For a free phone, yes...
But If you're already a T-Mobile customer you don't have to add a line to get a deal. For example, I'm an existing T-Mobile customer and I traded in my V20 for $250 in bill credits, which essentially makes my phone around $700.

Check it out and see what kind of deal you can get.