So What's Excellent in V40?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My V20 for example has second screen and ir blaster. Replaceable battery is handy. I use wireless headphones so quad no big deal for me. What's there to draw me to V40?

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Having owned both a V10 and V20 (but not any of the V30 flavors), one thing that I noticed immediately was the weight of the device. The V20 was a heavy device, the V40 is a feather in comparison. Next, the screen, it's awesome and does not suffer from the blueish tint that the V30 did when looked at it from an angle. And speaking about the screen, it's 6.4 compared to the V20's 5.9 yet.....the height of my V40 is almost the same as my V20. In fact, the footprint is so close, I am using a V20 case right now until my V40 specific case arrives.

You also don't loose the second screen capability, it's just different. On the AOD, you can swipe to access your music player and frequently used apps without unlocking.

Given your query, these are a couple of items that standout to me.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Being light is welcome. Being light on features isn't. I really wish it had at least 128 gb built in memory. I don't use sd cards. They are not secure and tend to use battery so that doesn't appeal.

Full auto snapshot is the only pic I care about. I wonder how it compares to Pixel 3.

I don't use phone for music but I do watch Netflix and Xfinity stream. I can stream from V20 hdmi to tv. I wonder if V40 can?

It sounds like the lightness is the only feature to attract me. It is nice. Old heavy phones could almost pull my pants down!

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Having owned both a V10 and V20 (but not any of the V30 flavors), one thing that I noticed immediately was the weight of the device. The V20 was a heavy device, the V40 is a feather in comparison. Next, the screen, it's awesome and does not suffer from the blueish tint that the V30 did when looked at it from an angle. And speaking about the screen, it's 6.4 compared to the V20's 5.9 yet.....the height of my V40 is almost the same as my V20. In fact, the footprint is so close, I am using a V20 case right now until my V40 specific case arrives.

You also don't loose the second screen capability, it's just different. On the AOD, you can swipe to access your music player and frequently used apps without unlocking.

Given your query, these are a couple of items that standout to me.

You hit the nail on the head as you said it's almost the same footprint. The screen on this phone is beautiful compared to the V20. A step up indeed....

I'm loving my V40 and I'm so glad I chose this device. I couldn't pass up on the deal today in TMobile, especially with the $250 V20 trade in.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It's got better cameras. The main camera is now a 12mp with larger pixels for better low light, wide angles been improved since the V20, and they added a 2x telephoto camera.

Blown 89

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Realistically though, is this phone good enough to compete with the latest Samsungs, Huaweis, Pixels and OnePluses?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Some reviews say yes and others make the V40 look 5 years behind. The same thing is going on with Huawei....some reviews look like garbage and others look amazing. It's impossible to know who to trust.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Realistically though, is this phone good enough to compete with the latest Samsungs, Huaweis, Pixels and OnePluses?

IMHO, the short answer is "Yes."

Samsung: Can't say the V40 is better than any of the current Galaxy devices but the emphasis in the design is different. Biggest difference for me is the separate DAC for audio. If sound quality is important to you, than the V40 has a leg up.

Huawei: I have a Huawei tablet and have to say EMUI doesn't work for me. I much prefer the OS skin that LG uses.

Pixels: No headphone jack, no seperate DAC, no sale for me. The big advantage is regular updates. I think the LG competes depending on what you are looking for.

OnePlus: If you are talking about the 6+, similar feeling for me as the Pixel, minus the regular updates, though OnePlus does seem to be competing in this area.

In the end, it depends on your personal use case. Regardless of the choice, there will be trade-offs.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Some reviews say yes and others make the V40 look 5 years behind. The same thing is going on with Huawei....some reviews look like garbage and others look amazing. It's impossible to know who to trust.

On paper, all the flagship cameras are so close in capabilities that it'll be hard to find any major differences. LG has lagged behind in auto mode, but the V series is targeted at "content creators." Those people are more likely to want more control over things, and in that area, it's hard to beat LG's implementation of manual controls.

I haven't looked much at the V40 because it's too much of a downgrade from the V20 I have, but I'm one that likes to tinker and use manual controls and would take one of their phones for camera and audio work over anything else.

When it comes to camera reviewers, it is very easy to skew results. Many of them do not use controlled tests, so results are highly variable. Not to mention a poor photographer will still take a bad photo with the best of equipment. Reviewers also tend to only test in auto mode, which also messes with the results. It's ok for the masses, but results can be completely different in manual mode saving/editing the RAW files yourself.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, you can stream from the V40 via HDMI to a TV. It also works very well when casting it to the TV.
Every phone can stream to tv but the hdmi out is a nice feature. I don't see it in any spec and when I called. LG all they told me was they sell no hdmi out accessory so they cannot comment. On their own phone they cannot comment. Unbelievable.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Every phone can stream to tv but the hdmi out is a nice feature. I don't see it in any spec and when I called. LG all they told me was they sell no hdmi out accessory so they cannot comment. On their own phone they cannot comment. Unbelievable.

That's right, you need to use an HDMI to USB-C connector. They are pretty cheap now days.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That's right, you need to use an HDMI to USB-C connector. They are pretty cheap now days.
I gave one that works with my v20 and probably works in v40 but they should list it as a spec. I prefer Huawei because they still have ir blaster and led notifications but Huawei is not fully supported in USA and offers zero warranty.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a V20 as well and was thinking about getting something but now I'm thinking I'll just hold off till next year when the 5G phones hit the market.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a V20 as well and was thinking about getting something but now I'm thinking I'll just hold off till next year when the 5G phones hit the market.

This was one of my thoughts too before I decided to upgrade to my V40. Then I remembered my experience with 1st generation 4G phones and decided to wait for the second generation. It was not pretty and it took awhile for the wireless networks to get dense enough where you could actually use it.

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
This was one of my thoughts too before I decided to upgrade to my V40. Then I remembered my experience with 1st generation 4G phones and decided to wait for the second generation. It was not pretty and it took awhile for the wireless networks to get dense enough where you could actually use it.

HTC Thunderbolt. Worst phone I ever had.....

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I never put off today for a future maybe.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
On paper, all the flagship cameras are so close in capabilities that it'll be hard to find any major differences. LG has lagged behind in auto mode, but the V series is targeted at "content creators." Those people are more likely to want more control over things, and in that area, it's hard to beat LG's implementation of manual controls.

I haven't looked much at the V40 because it's too much of a downgrade from the V20 I have, but I'm one that likes to tinker and use manual controls and would take one of their phones for camera and audio work over anything else.

When it comes to camera reviewers, it is very easy to skew results. Many of them do not use controlled tests, so results are highly variable. Not to mention a poor photographer will still take a bad photo with the best of equipment. Reviewers also tend to only test in auto mode, which also messes with the results. It's ok for the masses, but results can be completely different in manual mode saving/editing the RAW files yourself.
Downgrade from the V20? Removable battery is it. I have had every phone in the V series. The V40 is faster, smoother, better camera and better battery life than all but the V30. Much better display. And the UI has been improved. Sure the extra battery is nice but my V20 was horrible on battery life. I had to have an extra battery to get the same as one charge as my V30. The V40 has not been quite as good but I make it easily to bedtime with a single charge and normal use with around 20% left. If I don't use it much it's higher. I knocked the plug out once and still had 15% in the morning. I can see some sticking with the V30. While the 40 has more power with the latest processor the only major difference is the camera and Android 8.1. Some market apps do not like 8.1 and will crash. Amazon Music is one that firebrick like 8.1. It freezes, and crashes.

That all said the V40 is a top notch phone. My son has the new Note. He likes it but there are things he didn't like. My other son just got the new Pixel. It is great and he lines it but again there are bugs and things he wishes were different. I do not think you will find a perfect phone. You just need to make a list of what's most important and go from there. They all are nice.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante