Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
And IR Blaster
And metal body
And LCD display
And no notch
And secondary display
And still on Nougat (I've refused the updates so far)

Sorry, but that's too much for me to loose and not enough to gain when my V20 still functions almost flawlessly. So yes, when you consider the total package, the V20 is almost the perfect phone for me and the newer versions are a downgrade.

-Glass is to enable wireless charging plus, it provides a more premium/luxurious look and feel to the device.

-OLED screens are more battery efficient and look better than LCD. So, don't know what you are getting at there.

-the notch actually isn't the big deal that it's made out to be. For example when watching videos and playing games, the notch is out of the way since it's in a section of the aspect ratio where videos and most games cut off well before.

-secondary display is replaced by the floating bar which is just as good.

-Oreo provides far more functionality than nougat.

I've only had the V40 for a couple days and it's a better phone than my V30 ever was in terms of power and functionality.

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
The Pixel DAC is built into the adapter so it is a separate DAC. The Pixel DAC is actually better than other onboard DACs. I actually use the DAC from the Razer phone which has higher output than the LG V series for low impedance headphones.

I strongly doubt this, the V30 was actually proven at the time to have the best sound quality of any smartphone out at the time. The V40 only carries on that legacy.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Some of these are subjective opinions, so I'll add my reasoning to why these are not valid trade offs for me:

-Glass is to enable wireless charging plus, it provides a more premium/luxurious look and feel to the device.
(I don't use or care for wireless charging, so glass offers me no benefit. It may look and feel more premium, but is kind of a pointless reason when it's more easily damaged and everyone just throws a case on it that hides said look and feel.)

-OLED screens are more battery efficient and look better than LCD. So, don't know what you are getting at there.
(Efficiency is dependent on what's being displayed, and there's some cases where an AMOLED screen may consume more power than LCD. I've seen the V40 being advertised as simply an OLED, which I've read is even less efficient than AMOLED. How they look are subjective and have more to do with how a manufacturer calibrates the screen rather than the technology itself. For example, LCD's are still the most common displays photographers use when editing their photos. Personally I haven't liked the way AMOLED phone screens have looked. I will concede they have better blacks for obvious reasons, but they also suffer from burn in. That is not a trade-off I'm willing to make)

-the notch actually isn't the big deal that it's made out to be. For example when watching videos and playing games, the notch is out of the way since it's in a section of the aspect ratio where videos and most games cut off well before.
(So what exactly goes in the screen area on the sides of the notch? Unless I'm mistaken, isn't it used for notifications and such? If so, then you get less space for that purpose. Not to mention I despise the trend towards zero bezels, which leads to a lot of false touches. Give me something to grip the phone with! Plus I just prefer the symmetry of a regular, notch free, display.

(I'm withhold final judgement, but for now I do enjoy the secondary screen implementation)

(Of all the new features I've seen, I can't think of one that interests me. All it'll do is put more of a drain on resources to my existing V20. I'm not opposed to getting a new phone with it pre-installed, but I have no reason to update my phone to it.)

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Lol at talking about Oreo vs Nougat when we are now in the age of Pie. LG is embarrassing.

I've only had the V40 for a couple days and it's a better phone than my V30 ever was in terms of power and functionality.

cure92

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Im looking to switch from an iphone 8 plus to either the V30 or V40. I've researched them both to death and have played around with the V40 in the sprint store. With their current promotions i can get the V40 for 20 a month or V30 for 10. Which would be the better option? I'm tired of iOS and haven't used android since elair lol.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Low light photography is MUCH better and improved.. focus speed is faster (but Samsung is still faster). BoomBox speaker sounds amazing, the P-OLED looks good and there's no blueshift or reddish screen, the audio quality from the headphone jack has improved, the phone is much easier to use with one hand (narrow and taller screen), battery life has improved, thanks to the new SD 845 and Andriod O, plus the ability to lower the screen resolution to conserve battery... Still has Quick Charge 3.0 while Samsung still uses 2.0., HDR support for videos.. higher resolution 16MP wide angle camera...

I'd say if you're really happy with the V20, just keep it. It still does one heck of a job, especially when paired with the GCam app... The only thing I miss is the 2nd screen display, much wider POV wide angle, and the removal battery.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
He's right actually. Statistically, at this stage, Pie hasn't rolled out to many devices.

What's the absolute urgency for Pie? The phone works and it literally just came out not too long ago. The only thing you're going to get is bragging rights.. nothing substantial. We're at the point of "my phone is newer than yours!"

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
What's the absolute urgency for Pie? The phone works and it literally just came out not too long ago. The only thing you're going to get is bragging rights.. nothing substantial. We're at the point of "my phone is newer than yours!"
I couldn't care less to be honest. I'm great with my S8 on Oreo. I was considering the V40 for a time and the fact that it launched on Oreo was never an issue for me. But, considering the overall state of Android updates, the point is valid.

Last edited:

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

IIRC, one of the major upgrades in Pie is further enhancing the Android OS / Services to be more efficient and use less battery......that would enhance our V40 battery life even more than the stellar performance I am experiencing. Also, the Notifications controls are supposed to be streamlined, I would welcome that, currently Notifications controls seem a bit fragmented. And lastly, I believe that dark mode will be baked into the system.

I know there can be risks associated with major OS upgrades but Pie is looking good, if Google delivers.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't care less to be honest. I'm great with my S8 on Oreo. I was considering the V40 for a time and the fact that it launched on Oreo was never an issue for me. But, considering the overall state of Android updates, the point is valid.

LG is still a fairly small company and they only have to much money and resources.. these engineers get paid $100 per hour and you have to imagine the cost it would take to get faster updates. LG does not have a USA branch in Silicon Valley but Samsung actually does have one.. that's why their software is really good because they hired Silicon Valley brains to write the software for it. Funny thing is some people working at Samsung uses iPhones. Apple and Google are obviously giants and their campuses have their own zip code.

FYI after Apple's #batterygate problem and purposely "slowing down" devices via forced OS updates, I don't understand why people still trust updates to enhance their user experience.. to me, it seems more like it creates more problems than it does fix. Can't say it's a conspiracy because it actually happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781