We are an LG household. I went from Samsung Note Edge to LG V10 to V20 to V30. My fiancée switched from iPhone 7 to LG G6.

The LG phones are great for us because we love the wide angle lenses and the manual video adjustments. We go to many live music events and this allows us to set the microphone gain and limits.

The plan is to surprise her with an upgrade to V40 from her G6. I haven't even watched review videos in front of her like I normally would because I don't want her to know about the V40 until I give it to her. She wanted my V30 when I got it and is ok with the larger size now. It will be great for her because she loves:

Listening to music on the phone - boombox speakers

Taking selfies - finally a decent pair of front shooters and portrait mode

Recoding video - 4k60fps finally! Why doesn't my V30 do this?

Peace of mind - LG Second year promise 2 year warranty

ON TO MY CONCERNS

- You cannot switch to the wide angle camera during video recording. To shoot in wide angle, you have to start the video in wide angle and you are stuck with a range of digital zoom for that camera. When you shoot with the main or 2x zoom camera, you can switch back and forth between those but not to the zoom camera. This is unfortunate for use because we frequently need to go from main to wide during video recording.

Here is a sample of what I mean. In this video, with the V40 we make good use of the wide and regular cameras and would be really limited to not be able to be stuck with zoom and regular.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/szHZAYim8Nc9voBC8

- Camera load sluggishness. I've seen this in many LG phones including my V30. And I've watched reviews saying that the camera sometimes takes too long to load. Hopefully the 845 helps power through this. But why couldn't LG keep the camera in memory like Samsung does? I've missed a few photo or video opportunities waiting for my camera to load.

- General phone sluggishness. My V10 bootlooped so I traded it in as soon as the V20 came out. My V20 that I still have slows down not too long after a reset. My V30 sometimes lags and sometimes takes more than 5 minutes to reboot.

- Pictures not saved - if you take a picture quickly and lock the screen on all our LG phones, you run the risk of losing your picture. How hard is it for LG to fix the camera app to allow it to continue to process the write of the picture to memory even if you turn off the screen? I have noticed at least 3 times at work where I snapped a picture using the double click volume down to only find that the picture didn't save. And I work at a hospital so this isn't good. I know the picture was shot because I saw the screen flash and heard the shutter click. I have now learned and advise others now to make sure the picture shows up in the camera roll on the top of the screen before pressing the power button. Let's hope the V40 may have fixed this.

- Screen problems - Her G6 has some screen retention issues. My V20 even more so. My V30 has developed some weird artifacting if the display is not at full brightness. Thankfully no burn in as of yet like every amoled Samsung I've ever had. Will the V40 be any better?

- Defects - My V10 bootlooped. We have sent the G6 in twice for completely dying. I had to swap my day old V30 for another because it wouldn't fast charge. The G6 now has vibration motor failure. So we are going to sent that in for warranty work. And when that comes back the V30 will get sent in for the artifacting issue I'm seeing. The V20 gets to be our backup phone when we send the phones in.

So.. If there was another brand that had a wide angle camera and receiver as mic feature, we would be willing to try it. But no one else is doing that so we have a sort of increasingly reluctant alliance with LG. Thoughts?
    10-26-2018 02:57 PM
    Mate 20 Pro. LG quality is pretty awful. Just look at what you mention!
    vasekvi likes this.
    10-27-2018 12:07 PM
    Mate 20 Pro. LG quality is pretty awful. Just look at what you mention!
    Problem is if he's in the US the Mate 20 Pro is not even available.
    We are an LG household. I went from Samsung Note Edge to LG V10 to V20 to V30. My fiancée switched from iPhone 7 to LG G6.

The LG phones are great for us because we love the wide angle lenses and the manual video adjustments. We go to many live music events and this allows us to set the microphone gain and limits.

The plan is to surprise her with an upgrade to V40 from her G6. I haven't even watched review videos in front of her like I normally would because I don't want her to know about the V40 until I give it to her. She wanted my V30 when I got it and is ok with the larger size now. It will be great for her because she loves:

Listening to music on the phone - boombox speakers

Taking selfies - finally a decent pair of front shooters and portrait mode

Recoding video - 4k60fps finally! Why doesn't my V30 do this?

Peace of mind - LG Second year promise 2 year warranty

ON TO MY CONCERNS

- You cannot switch to the wide angle camera during video recording. To shoot in wide angle, you have to start the video in wide angle and you are stuck with a range of digital zoom for that camera. When you shoot with the main or 2x zoom camera, you can switch back and forth between those but not to the zoom camera. This is unfortunate for use because we frequently need to go from main to wide during video recording.

Here is a sample of what I mean. In this video, with the V40 we make good use of the wide and regular cameras and would be really limited to not be able to be stuck with zoom and regular.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/szHZAYim8Nc9voBC8

- Camera load sluggishness. I've seen this in many LG phones including my V30. And I've watched reviews saying that the camera sometimes takes too long to load. Hopefully the 845 helps power through this. But why couldn't LG keep the camera in memory like Samsung does? I've missed a few photo or video opportunities waiting for my camera to load.

- General phone sluggishness. My V10 bootlooped so I traded it in as soon as the V20 came out. My V20 that I still have slows down not too long after a reset. My V30 sometimes lags and sometimes takes more than 5 minutes to reboot.

- Pictures not saved - if you take a picture quickly and lock the screen on all our LG phones, you run the risk of losing your picture. How hard is it for LG to fix the camera app to allow it to continue to process the write of the picture to memory even if you turn off the screen? I have noticed at least 3 times at work where I snapped a picture using the double click volume down to only find that the picture didn't save. And I work at a hospital so this isn't good. I know the picture was shot because I saw the screen flash and heard the shutter click. I have now learned and advise others now to make sure the picture shows up in the camera roll on the top of the screen before pressing the power button. Let's hope the V40 may have fixed this.

- Screen problems - Her G6 has some screen retention issues. My V20 even more so. My V30 has developed some weird artifacting if the display is not at full brightness. Thankfully no burn in as of yet like every amoled Samsung I've ever had. Will the V40 be any better?

- Defects - My V10 bootlooped. We have sent the G6 in twice for completely dying. I had to swap my day old V30 for another because it wouldn't fast charge. The G6 now has vibration motor failure. So we are going to sent that in for warranty work. And when that comes back the V30 will get sent in for the artifacting issue I'm seeing. The V20 gets to be our backup phone when we send the phones in.

So.. If there was another brand that had a wide angle camera and receiver as mic feature, we would be willing to try it. But no one else is doing that so we have a sort of increasingly reluctant alliance with LG. Thoughts?
    Problem is with all these issues I'd be looking for devices that are more reliable. I got away from LG for similar reasons. I know you like the wide angle and manual controls but maybe consider buying a dedicated camera for those events and then get a phone for everyday use that will hold up?
    10-27-2018 05:30 PM
    Another way of looking at it is everyone you have an issue LG takes care of it. Just thing to play devil's advocate here. Both my wife and myself had G6 vibration motors go out and LG has us new phones within days.
    vasekvi and gendo667 like this.
    10-28-2018 12:40 AM
    I've had no issues with my V30 other than the USB C port issue packing in. Got it replaced and it's been solid all the way up until I got my V40 yesterday and after less than 24 hours it's holding up well too. No defects as far as I can tell.
    11-03-2018 01:54 PM