How does everyone like their LG V40 so far?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I was one of the people who was paranoid about the battery life but I bought a V40 anyway, my reasoning was it couldn't be any worse than my V20. Well, my experience so far, is that it blows the V20 battery life out of the water with the way I use my V40.

An example........I was driving from the Chicago area to Iowa City to pick up my son for Thanksgiving break. Total trip about 8 hours including stops. When I made this trip with my V20, I would arrive in Iowa City with about 65% battery remaining. I always had to charge during the round trip. With the V40, I arrived back in Chicago with about 75% remaining and no charging during the trip.......amazing! No difference in how I used my V40 vs my former V20.

I am enjoying my V40.....it is everything I hoped it would be.....no major complaints. I would buy it again!

Same here, I was a little worried but I underestimated the power of the Snapdragon 845 processor, which is a heck of a lot more efficient.. also Android O and the ability to reduce screen resolution and power saving mode, you can really push the limits of the battery! A dark theme for the V40 also helps, just go to accessibility and turn on high contrast mode.

By the way, the longer you use the V40, the better the battery gets. That's because the Android system recognizes your usage habits and then starts to save battery through optimization.

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I sold my Note 9 and got the V40 and I am getting way better battery life on the V40 than I did on the Note 9. All the reviews said how great the battery is on the Note 9 but in my everyday use, it won't last a full day. In my daily use, I get easily a full day of use on the V40. So far I really enjoy it and glad I made the switch.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I sold my Note 9 and got the V40 and I am getting way better battery life on the V40 than I did on the Note 9. All the reviews said how great the battery is on the Note 9 but in my everyday use, it won't last a full day. In my daily use, I get easily a full day of use on the V40. So far I really enjoy it and glad I made the switch.

Wow, glad the truth is getting out there.. bigger battery doesn't automatically mean better.. Samsung has been known to have a heavy UI skin over it and it's not as optimized. So therefore a fat, thick, and heavy phone isn't worth the high capacity which only looks good on paper...

cheetah143

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I haven't got this phone yet but it is very high on my radar. I can't understand Why! so much hate for this phone it's clearly right up there with the top phones out right now. Is it jealously or fear by the other brands.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
There is not much hate for the phone. Just the normal LG slammers that are always there. Most people love it that have them.

jasqid

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
First time Android and LG owner. I'm liking it a lot.
Still prefer windows phone but... That's a dead horse. I am pleasantly surprised with it.

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I like it but the battery life is really bad. I'm getting about 3 hrs 45 mins SOT and that's with brightness at 40% and resolution at 1080.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I like it but the battery life is really bad. I'm getting about 3 hrs 45 mins SOT and that's with brightness at 40% and resolution at 1080.
Strange. My battery life is nearly as good as my V30 was. I easily get a day of normal use. Auto brightness.

jabtano

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
EX windows phone user, went over to LG V20 good phone from there I went to a note8 it's ok nothing exciting had it a year and it started to loos battery went from 100% to 40% in 35 min. without using the phone. went to T-MO store played with the new note9 and then the V40 and i feel in love with it. great battery life snappy great camera yes I was a little sad that it wasn't more an 64g but heythe phone rocks. if LG had did the 128 thing on this phone it would have done much better.I've had no issues with it at all.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
EX windows phone user, went over to LG V20 good phone from there I went to a note8 it's ok nothing exciting had it a year and it started to loos battery went from 100% to 40% in 35 min. without using the phone. went to T-MO store played with the new note9 and then the V40 and i feel in love with it. great battery life snappy great camera yes I was a little sad that it wasn't more an 64g but heythe phone rocks. if LG had did the 128 thing on this phone it would have done much better.I've had no issues with it at all.
Preorders got a fairly big microsd card to make up for it. I already had a 400 gig so now I have a spare. I just wish they had a better way to swap cards. They are a pain how they do it now.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Preorders got a fairly big microsd card to make up for it. I already had a 400 gig so now I have a spare. I just wish they had a better way to swap cards. They are a pain how they do it now.
Yes, I would really prefer a dedicated SD card slot. That big tray can be tricky to line up correctly and slide in. Plus the phone barks at you when you remove the SIM. :)

The card they gave out isn't the fastest speed class either. Haven't tested to see what the real transfer rate is, but it took a long time to copy the 20+GB from my old card to it via the USB C port.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I'm having a ball with mine. I've been using my trusty T-mobile branded V20 for going on 3 years now as my daily driver. I upgraded to a Samsung Note 9 and actually had no intentions of getting the V40 but I was presented with a Godfather offer of a new in the box one for $400. I just couldn't let that opportunity slip by so now my V20 is retired from running the streets and serves as an audio center/Wi-Fi tablet and the V40 is my new daily driver. All of my phones have a Google Pixel software port to add to the camera options and flexibility so whatever the occasion I'm camera ready. The other day I was out on the road for my job and ran across a mounted patrolman on his trusty steed and got a very nice shot with the V40. With this line up I hope not to have to go phone shopping for a long while.

Rubberman365

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a ball with mine. I've been using my trusty T-mobile branded V20 for going on 3 years now as my daily driver. I upgraded to a Samsung Note 9 and actually had no intentions of getting the V40 but I was presented with a Godfather offer of a new in the box one for $400. I just couldn't let that opportunity slip by so now my V20 is retired from running the streets and serves as an audio center/Wi-Fi tablet and the V40 is my new daily driver. All of my phones have a Google Pixel software port to add to the camera options and flexibility so whatever the occasion I'm camera ready. The other day I was out on the road for my job and ran across a mounted patrolman on his trusty steed and got a very nice shot with the V40. With this line up I hope not to have to go phone shopping for a long while.

What port are you using for your V40 for the Google pixel camera? Is it the same popular one on XDA developers that works for the v20 and the v30 also? Because I think the developer gave up on the project or at least hasn't updated it in a long time? or maybe someone else started developing for it which if so if you could provide me the link that would be great? I have a v20 in a v30 I would like to put the Google camera port on it. Also do you still have the note 9 and if so what do you think about the 9 versus the v40?

Last edited:

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm still lovin' my V40. After seeing sneaks peeks of the V50 and Galaxy 10, I'm going to be holding on to my V40 for a while. It does everything I need it to do, and then some...

Not to mention I've always been a fan of the Quad DAC. In the end, I don't see a need for a somewhat marginal upgrade. These days all flagships devices are good, it's just what each user values.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm still lovin' my V40. After seeing sneaks peeks of the V50 and Galaxy 10, I'm going to be holding on to my V40 for a while. It does everything I need it to do, and then some...

Not to mention I've always been a fan of the Quad DAC. In the end, I don't see a need for a somewhat marginal upgrade. These days all flagships devices are good, it's just what each user values.
Agreed. The quad dac is the selling point for me as well. I will be on this until the V60 or higher. Especially with the faster microsd cards on the way.

sanford12

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
Had the v20 and liked it. Didn't really need the v40 but it went on sale for 600 bucks and I couldn't pass it up. Some people are having trouble with their battery but for the last couple of days it's lasted until 11 at night and tonight it's 10:30 and I'm looking at 34% I'd say that's pretty good. Definitely faster than the v20 and a better-looking screen. So far so good.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Had the v20 and liked it. Didn't really need the v40 but it went on sale for 600 bucks and I couldn't pass it up. Some people are having trouble with their battery but for the last couple of days it's lasted until 11 at night and tonight it's 10:30 and I'm looking at 34% I'd say that's pretty good. Definitely faster than the v20 and a better-looking screen. So far so good.
Mine has been similar. I think the issues might be with always on screen or if not people who use it constantly and have the screen on all the time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames