V40 and VR Headset

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody tried the V40 with a VR headset? If so, which one and how was the experience? Thinking about "wading into the waters."

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody tried the V40 with a VR headset? If so, which one and how was the experience? Thinking about "wading into the waters."
The model we got with the V30 pre-orders will not work on the V40. You can load the system but every program says not compatible. I was mildly disappointed.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

You can always use a generic VR headset and combine it with a Bluetooth remote control.. you download the Google Cardboard app and you can view YouTube videos in VR and download VR games and experiences from that app. The OLED screen looks very good. You can get these cheap headsets from China for a few bucks. It's not going to be a better experience than Samsung's Oculus (owned by Facebook) which has tons of content already for it.

I recommend just buying the Oculus Go which is only $199 (price dropped to $179).. it's standalone with built in speakers and optional headphone jack... Includes a remote with built in gyroscope. A bunch of content already created for it and it's the best and most affordable VR unit you can get.. the "cardboard" experiences are just a taste of VR but it's not going to be the best experience.. the Oculus VR headset has a lens that makes what you're viewing look 3D while the generic ones you are just looking at the screen up close.

Last edited:

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
You can always use a generic VR headset and combine it with a Bluetooth remote control.. you download the Google Cardboard app and you can view YouTube videos in VR and download VR games and experiences from that app. The OLED screen looks very good. You can get these cheap headsets from China for a few bucks. It's not going to be a better experience than Samsung's Oculus (owned by Facebook) which has tons of content already for it.

I recommend just buying the Oculus Go which is only $199 (price dropped to $179).. it's standalone with built in speakers and optional headphone jack... Includes a remote with built in gyroscope. A bunch of content already created for it and it's the best and most affordable VR unit you can get.. the"cardboard" experiences are just a taste of VR but it's not going to be the best experience.. the Oculus VR headset has a lens that makes what you're viewing look 3D while the generic ones you are just looking at the screen up close.

This is helpful, thank you!

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I think I would only get something I could try with the phone in a store or was positive I could return it. Oh only because Dream view software currently says its incompatible. I am hoping an upgrade fixes it. For now my son is enjoying my VR set

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think I would only get something I could try with the phone in a store or was positive I could return it. Oh only because Dream view software currently says its incompatible. I am hoping an upgrade fixes it. For now my son is enjoying my VR set

Dream VR is basically Google Cardboard 2.0. Google tries to create their "own version" of things but never take it to the next level. Oculus is really the best right now and everyone can use it (it's a standalone unit).

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Dream VR is basically Google Cardboard 2.0. Google tries to create their "own version" of things but never take it to the next level. Oculus is really the best right now and everyone can use it (it's a standalone unit).

Google has the Dream VR on sale for $39.00 and free shipping for Cyber Monday. Too bad the software is not compatible. Have to search for a deal on the Oculus, sounds like a more complete solution.

Anyway, back to clearing snow from the Midwest blizzard.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Google has the Dream VR on sale for $39.00 and free shipping for Cyber Monday. Too bad the software is not compatible. Have to search for a deal on the Oculus, sounds like a more complete solution.

Anyway, back to clearing snow from the Midwest blizzard.

Yeah it dropped in price. It was $199 but now $179. I think Oculus is worth it and the technology did improve over Samsung's first generation Oculus.. way more comfortable, immersive, and more apps/content available. Oculus is owned by Facebook so you know they got financial backing and long term support unlike Google which customer service doesn't exist whatever bc Google doesn't want to deal with customers (no live chat, no email support, no phone number you can call).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it dropped in price. It was $199 but now $179. I think Oculus is worth it and the technology did improve over Samsung's first generation Oculus.. way more comfortable, immersive, and more apps/content available. Oculus is owned by Facebook so you know they got financial backing and long term support unlike Google which customer service doesn't exist whatever bc Google doesn't want to deal with customers (no live chat, no email support, no phone number you can call).

Are you saying Google doesn't have customer support or just for VR?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying Google doesn't have customer support or just for VR?

Both. There's no online live support for Daydream VR. Regarding the Pixel phone, actually there is a live help chat if you have the Pixel phone available to use but if your phone/Chromebook is broken, you're screwed and you can't contact anyone. You cannot get help regarding your Google account.. if you get locked out of your account, there's absolutely no one you can talk to.. I've lost several Google email accounts before and there was no way I can get help from anyone. Google does NOT want to deal with people as much as possible. At least LG and Samsung has an online live chat option and you don't even need to be a product owner. Even Apple will give you a phone call and you don't need to be an Apple customer too.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Both. There's no online live support for Daydream VR. Regarding the Pixel phone, actually there is a live help chat if you have the Pixel phone available to use but if your phone/Chromebook is broken, you're screwed and you can't contact anyone. You cannot get help regarding your Google account.. if you get locked out of your account, there's absolutely no one you can talk to.. I've lost several Google email accounts before and there was no way I can get help from anyone. Google does NOT want to deal with people as much as possible. At least LG and Samsung has an online live chat option and you don't even need to be a product owner. Even Apple will give you a phone call and you don't need to be an Apple customer too.

Not true for Google Pixelbook or Pixel phones. You can call them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch