So how is everyone liking the camera?

PattiDH

Jan 15, 2019
Visit site
My issue with LGthinq and now the LG40 (which sales guy talked me into instead of going from thinq back to my beloved samsung note) is when I take a pic, alot of times I like to play with it after....zoom it etc. It always looks grainy/pixelated or the edge lines of the object/person seem fake. Not sure why this is happening if the camera is supposed to he so great. Help?

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My issue with LGthinq and now the LG40 (which sales guy talked me into instead of going from thinq back to my beloved samsung note) is when I take a pic, alot of times I like to play with it after....zoom it etc. It always looks grainy/pixelated or the edge lines of the object/person seem fake. Not sure why this is happening if the camera is supposed to he so great. Help?

Post up a couple of examples please.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
The stock cameras of my LG V20 pale in comparison to those of the V40. However, my V20 is capable of taking better photos because it has a fully fuctioning Google Pixel 3 software apk ported to it. But with the V40 I love the triple shot and other special effect features and the creativity and fun they bring.

Last edited:

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Stock no adjustment.. My vision isn't the best. See blurry edges?
657539fcfd0f0b6703134a25267365e7.jpg

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The light you have coming in through the window is one thing that I have found LG phones have a tough time with.
It all depends on where you focus and the mode. With the low light in the house even my DSLR will blow up the sun coming in a window like that was. I could focus on the window or set it at ISO 100 but that makes everything else dark.

John_Cline

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I am a professional photographer/videographer by trade. I was quite happy with the V20 for snapshots and occasional B-roll for videos. I upgraded to the V40 last October and just haven't been happy with it compared to the V20. Yes, it's better in low light using the normal lens, but that's the only thing in which the V40 excels. I received an update for the V40 a few days ago and it said that improvements had been made to the camera so I did another controlled shootout against the V20, using both auto and manual modes. Once again, I'm totally underwhelmed by the photos from the V40 and am impressed again with the V20.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I am a professional photographer/videographer by trade. I was quite happy with the V20 for snapshots and occasional B-roll for videos. I upgraded to the V40 last October and just haven't been happy with it compared to the V20. Yes, it's better in low light using the normal lens, but that's the only thing in which the V40 excels. I received an update for the V40 a few days ago and it said that improvements had been made to the camera so I did another controlled shootout against the V20, using both auto and manual modes. Once again, I'm totally underwhelmed by the photos from the V40 and am impressed again with the V20.

I would imagine you used pro mode in both instances. In what circumstances did the V20 excel over the V40? I too have both and had the opposite experience save for when I use the ported Google Pixel camera software on the V20.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

The V20 is pretty bad in automode so it's hard to imagine the V40 being worse. I can't speak from experience on the V40 but the V30 was atrocious in auto.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I have had all of the V series phones.. I find the V40 the best by far.. I still consider it a phone. Yes we want the best possible but it's not a digital DSLR.. And all photographers know good glass is what makes your shot.. Lenses can cost more than a high end smartphone. I find it amazing we get what we do..

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site

i agree.

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I went to Best Buy to play with the new S10 and was not impressed at all. I also have a Note 9 and see no real improvements other then adding the wide angle which has worse barrel distortion compared to the V40. I personally feel the V40 has better dynamic range and is sharper on the selfie camera. I am jealous of the larger battery though!

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
since the verizon update a couple of days ago i am HATING the camera. the main reason i bought the V20 and now have a V40 was the manual camera feature. in the latest OS update on verizon they inexplicably moved the controls for manual camera to the side of the screen. for years they have been on the bottom. (this is in landscape mode) now when i go to adjust the EV in manual mode, the setting i adjust most, the slider appears on the side of the other controls. and with the controls on the side instead of the bottom my thumb invariably has farther to travel. so what ends up happening most of the time is my thumb is slightly off of the slider. and this then slides across the screen switching the camera to Fing selfie mode. this also switches you out of manual and into auto. so to get back you have to get out of selfie and back to the other camera and then choose manual again. any photographer knows that photography is about "the decisive moment". those moments are now lost because an ***** at LG decided for no apparent reason to move the controls of the camera.

additionally now when you switch to another open app from the camera and return to it the camera will no longer be in manual mode. you have to reselect it.

i am getting rid of this phone when i return to the states.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a pixel 2xl and a v40...the pictures I take with the pixel 2xl are consistently better than the v40. whatever Google is doing in post processing is miles ahead of LG.

and yes, I'm sure I could do all sorts of things in manual mode but I also have a DSLR that I use when I want to get serious about photography. when it comes to my phones, I just want them to point and shoot. The V40 does a passable job in the right light. otherwise, I always pickup my Pixel 2xl when I know I'm going to be taking a lot of pictures.

The v40 pictures look over processed and washed out most of the time. It also can't handle anything with multiple light sources.

I love everything else about it though. The hardware is fantastic in all other respects.