V40 vs S9 Plus?

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
So I'm having some back and forth notions of what phone to upgrade to possibly from my LG V30. I have been using LG devices for a couple of years now, but before that used to be a Samsung guy. One major issue I've had with LG devices since using them is I have had lots of bugs, glitches and lag. Have used both the G6 and V30. That's why I'm hesitant to purchase another LG device. Regardless... the two devices seem to be pretty close to each other. I have tried out both devices for a short period of time. I have compiled a short list. Also another thing to consider... the V40 is super cheap right now at T-Mobile which is the carrier I use. Currently only 600 with a zero down upfront payment besides taxes. The S9 Plus is 700 dollars currently and 28 dollars down.

LG V40 Pros:
Beautiful, large flat screen.
Quad Dac and boom box
Enjoyable android skin/UI from Android (IMO)
LG's finger print scanner
Decent camera

Cons:
Smaller battery than S9 Plus
LG devices not as supported with updates as Samsung
Probably not as stable software-wise as Samsung
Notch

S9 Plus: Pros
Beautiful, large screen
Larger battery than V40
Dual Speakers and dolby atmos sound
Amazing camera
Very fast and smooth
Great for updates and newer OS from Android

Cons:
Bad battery life. Samsung phones are not known for good battery life. Using the device, I would lose battery life over night while doing nothing.
Curved screen isn't as nice as V40's larger, flat screen.
Connection issues while using the device.
Somewhat uncomfortable to hold compared to the V40
Dolby Atmos might not be as good as V40's quad dac sound system.
Preloaded with a ridiculous amount of bloatware and useless stuff that I will never use.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting. I have used samsung and HTC in the past wit the V40 being my first LG phone.
Im happy with it but still think my S7 Edge took better pics. My dad makes tables and i list them online and while my phone has changed the place i take the pics has not.
Ive been contemplating a Note 8, Note 9 or S9+.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I woukd hold off to see what the V50 is like or look at the S10plus. I love my V40. I buy solely for the quad dac so I might have held off if I knew the V50 would be coming so fast and just kept using my V30. You can never win though. Something better or different comes along everytime you buy something.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Yeah I would except I don't want a 5G phone. And the V40 is a much better price than the V50 will be for quite some time. You know it's gonna be like 900+ dollars. The S10 Plus is also completely ridiculously priced. Not paying 1000 dollars for a phone.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I thought I was done with LG after they jettisoned all of the neat features that made my V20 stand apart from the herd (swappable battery, IR blaster capabilities, etc.) When upgrade fever hit I went with the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and thought I was all set for a while. But when the V40 was launched I took notice but that MSRP was far too high for my budget. So I scoured Swappa and Offer Up and was able to snag a new-in-the-box V40 for $400. It has become my daily driver and is a great, feature filled and fun device.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
The LG V40 seems to be the better value phone compared to the S9 Plus IN MY OPINION but overall the S9 Plus and other Samsung phones are considered to be much better for a reason. The S9 Plus may not have the same camera versatility but takes better low light photos and actually has a better battery than the V40.

Hating on Samsung Experience for bloatware (which barely exists) is now just a poor argument, as it is fast and easy to use (unlike LG's half-baked software), and is now even better with OneUI. Don't expect to receive software updates regularly or quickly because LG has a notorious track record of not updating its phones.

Last edited:

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
The LG V40 seems to be the better value phone compared to the S9 Plus, but overall the S9 Plus and other Samsung phones are considered to be much better for a reason. The S9 Plus may not have the same camera versatility but takes better low light photos and actually has a better battery than the V40.

Hating on Samsung Experience for bloatware (which barely exists) is now just a poor argument, as it is fast and easy to use (unlike LG's half-baked software), and is now even better with OneUI. Don't expect to receive software updates regularly or quickly because LG has a notorious track record of not updating its phones.

Dolby Atmos is already extremely good and might be better than LG's version, and is more mainstream.

This statement couldn't be anymore false.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The LG V40 seems to be the better value phone compared to the S9 Plus, but overall the S9 Plus and other Samsung phones are considered to be much better for a reason. The S9 Plus may not have the same camera versatility but takes better low light photos and actually has a better battery than the V40.

Dolby Atmos is already extremely good and might be better than LG's version, and is more mainstream.
Show a lack of knowledge on audio. Dolby Atmos and LGs Quad Dac have nothing in common. They are totally unrelated.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
@Greymire

Ok, I’ll concede on that one, but the original post did the same.
@eric12341

Firstly, that post is my opinion and is based on my experience with phones as well as others’. Secondly, I’ve done my best to give the original user advice and answered the question...all your comment shows is that you disagree but you have no evidence, and I doubt that you’ll find any.

Next time, try actually contributing to a thread instead of just whining and dismissing others’ comments. If you want to disagree actually use some facts/evidence/experience, not just a curt statement

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
@Greymire

Ok, I’ll concede on that one, but the original post did the same.
@eric12341

Firstly, that post is my opinion and is based on my experience with phones as well as others’. Secondly, I’ve done my best to give the original user advice and answered the question...all your comment shows is that you disagree but you have no evidence, and I doubt that you’ll find any.

Next time, try actually contributing to a thread instead of just whining and dismissing others’ comments. If you want to disagree actually use some facts/evidence/experience, not just a curt statement
The fact is it was contributing. When a comment is so blatantly incorrect an an area lije that it calls into question the entire post. As former Audio engineer I have bought every V series phone entirely for the quad dac. I would guess that the audio is the selling point for most Lg V series phones. As for which phone is actually better lies entirely with how you use it. If you are not an audiophile and do not hear the difference between Samsung vs LG then the S9 will be fine. As for battery life my wife's S10 gets, similar life to mine. I would say she gets 45 minutes to an hour more with screen in time. I suspect that gap will close some when pie finally comes to the V40. But maybe not. The V40 has greatly improved low light photos compared to previous LG Cameras. Reviews for all brands tend to be biased. I have see both sides say theirs was better. The biggest complaint I have seen is in video and how zoom works with the various lenses in the LG. But I couldn't tell you as I use it almost entirely for audio and phone calls. It is my everyday music player with a a large microsd loaded. We also have an Pixel 3xl in the family. I consider it the superior phone to the three in e ery aspect except Audio. It's OK for audio but didn't beat either of the afore mentioned. Pictures look better with one lens than Samsung and LG. But a lot if that lies in the photographer. No matter what I use it will be mediocre. If Google was smart it would add a Quad Dac and take a huge slice of tbe pie.

As for the experience, if you don't like it on either phone just switch to action launcher or Nova. I use action launcher and Pulse for text.

Their is no right or wrong phone to select unless you don't investigate and get the one that fits your needs the best. All of them are pretty nice now.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
OK, I’ve edited my orignal comment? Are you happy now?

As I said, my comment was based on my experience with various Android phones as well as what I know, so after my edit I would say you couldn’t call my comment false because it is based on my opinion and facts.

Calling another comment ‘false’ isn’t contributing, as it doesn’t even answer the orignal question on this thread. My comment wasn’t blatantly incorrect, it was my opinion and it answered the question.

And talking of the original question, even if you love LG phones, the fact is that they are probably the worst company when it comes to software updates, so I’d advise using a skin like the ones Greymire suggested.

markdoc

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
As an afterthought, I understand your liking LG's for their DAC. I had an HTC 10 and that had the best sound that I've ever heard. It was due to the earphone setup app. You adjusted the volume of 5 frequencies for each ear. If you wanted to hear music the way the musician intended, that was your phone. The main reason I purchased the LG V40 was the earphone jack. I'm pleased with the sound of the V40. It just takes a lot of adjusting to get it right.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
OK, I’ve edited my orignal comment? Are you happy now?

As I said, my comment was based on my experience with various Android phones as well as what I know, so after my edit I would say you couldn’t call my comment false because it is based on my opinion and facts.

Calling another comment ‘false’ isn’t contributing, as it doesn’t even answer the orignal question on this thread. My comment wasn’t blatantly incorrect, it was my opinion and it answered the question.

And talking of the original question, even if you love LG phones, the fact is that they are probably the worst company when it comes to software updates, so I’d advise using a skin like the ones Greymire suggested.
Lg is the absolute worst at pushing updates. Even after forming a dedicated department they haven't improved at all. If updates are important then I suggest Pixel. Android experience? Again Pixel. For overall great working phone and near the top in all areas then Samsung. I can't comment on Huawei as I don't know if anyone has them in the US. LG is for audiophile and multimedia recording only. Just my opinions. I didn't mean to sound line a total ***. I apologize for that. I would go into personal reasons why I responded as such but it's not important to the discussion or anyone else.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Lg is the absolute worst at pushing updates. Even after forming a dedicated department they haven't improved at all. If updates are important then I suggest Pixel. Android experience? Again Pixel. For overall great working phone and near the top in all areas then Samsung. I can't comment on Huawei as I don't know if anyone has them in the US. LG is for audiophile and multimedia recording only. Just my opinions. I didn't mean to sound line a total ***. I apologize for that. I would go into personal reasons why I responded as such but it's not important to the discussion or anyone else.

I agree...probably best to forget about that argument (I was also being too agressive).

I wonder what LG phones will be like in the future...if they even have one

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree...probably best to forget about that argument (I was also being too agressive).

I wonder what LG phones will be like in the future...if they even have one

Not really LGs fault, it's mostly the fault of the carriers... At least here in the US. Pie is already rolled out to the unlocked V40s.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Not really LGs fault, it's mostly the fault of the carriers... At least here in the US. Pie is already rolled out to the unlocked V40s.

Not too sure about the US but in Europe/rest of the world most of LG’s phones within the past 2 years have only seen 1 (or even no) updates >_<