Switching from v20 to v40?

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
My v20 is 2 years old and it's slowing down and needs a new screen and a new battery. I know it sounds crazy but I can write new posts on here with my v20 but I cannot respond to posts. The screen shakes and doesn't let me get in. I thought I was buying this phone new on eBay but obviously it wasn't.

I can pick up if v40 Amazon refurbished for $319. I don't believe in spending $1,100 Plus largest storage, insurance and sales tax which brings you over 1600 or 1700. I'd love the speaker on my v20 and the cameras okay.

One thing that bothers me about buying a refurbished phone with a phix battery is, if the battery is no good you either have to fix it yourself or bring it in somewhere. Bringing it in isn't the greatest thing to do as many of these places are incompetent and replacing the battery on the v40 is not an easy job. I think it's a lot easier to replace the screen and the digitizer on the v20 than replacing the battery on the v20.

What do you think?

I don't like Samsung products I think their appliances stink, I think their TV's are awful, I have 2 and I've had a couple of their phones and I'm not wild about there repair facility in Texas.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the 20 30 and 40. Do it. Only thing I don't like is the inability to switch to or from wide angle. I've gotten used to not being able to swap battery. Everything else is better.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
In general, I don't like refurbs for the same reason. I've had several that were exchanged right away because of a defect the refurbish didn't catch. I always wait until I can afford new from an authorized retailer (so no eBay, and Amazon is questionable) so I know I'm getting a good unit with full factory warranty.

I'm using a V20 that is about due for replacement too, but I wouldn't go with the V40. LG is becoming cookie cutter and nothing about later V-series phones excite me. I'm possibly getting the new Asus ROG Phone II. It has a lot to offer similar to the V-series, but keeps a flat screen, usable bezels, headphone jack, awesome front firing stereo speaker and more. Nothing will tick all the boxes like the V20 did, but this is the only phone I've found that comes close without too many tradeoffs.

Even some of the tradeoffs aren't all horrible. Yes it's a sealed battery, but it's 6,000mAh. You could charge it to 70% quicker than a full charge on most other phones and still have more power than them (4,200 mAh at 70%). Plus there's a number of charging options and performance settings. When it comes to protecting the battery's overall lifespan, Asus did their homework.

It is $900 for the U.S. version, but man is it sweet.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I see you cross posted, so here's my answer from the other thread:

Here's my take having jumped from a V20 to V40 in August. I think the speaker is as good or better than the V20 and, even though it isn't an "exciting" phone, it has been very reliable in the 2 months I've had it.

* while I know objectively that the screen is not smaller, the phone doesn't have that big "phablet" feel of the earlier models, I guess because it's narrower. This could be a plus or minus, depending what you prefer. I missed that slablike feeling, and found I needed a different case (ironically, a thicker one) for it to feel comfortable for me.

* I miss the second screen, but the floating bar is an acceptable substitute.

* battery life has been excellent - much better than I anticipated. I top it up in the car for a few minutes of (wired, not superfast) charge here and there and have yet to have it finish the day at less than 30% even though I use it hard and have the always on display set to the big clock.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
..... I'm possibly getting the new Asus ROG Phone II. It has a lot to offer similar to the V-series, but keeps a flat screen, usable bezels, headphone jack, awesome front firing stereo speaker and more. Nothing will tick all the boxes like the V20 did, but this is the only phone I've found that comes close without too many tradeoffs.

Even some of the tradeoffs aren't all horrible. Yes it's a sealed battery, but it's 6,000mAh. You could charge it to 70% quicker than a full charge on most other phones and still have more power than them (4,200 mAh at 70%). Plus there's a number of charging options and performance settings. When it comes to protecting the battery's overall lifespan, Asus did their homework.

It is $900 for the U.S. version, but man is it sweet.

Mooncat, nice specs. Are you afraid to go It alone with Asus? Samsung and LG have sold so many phones. You have no idea what problems you can have with this phone and how is Asus usually on upgrades. I mean for $900 with 500 GB of storage 12 gigabytes of RAM and it's 6000 milliamp battery, that sounds like a great deal. I also wonder what kind of repair facilities Asus has. So it's like three or four hundred dollars cheaper than the newest top in phones. And when you get a phone that expensive you have to get insurance and of course sales taxes more money it really is a decent price for what you're getting if it all works well.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Mooncat, nice specs. Are you afraid to go It alone with Asus? Samsung and LG have sold so many phones. You have no idea what problems you can have with this phone and how is Asus usually on upgrades.

So far the only real drawback of the ROG Phones II is carrier support. AT&T seems best supported, followed by TMO. Verizon can work as a data only device, then using Google Voice for calls and text (which is what I'd have to do). VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling also currently don't work in the U.S. I've been following the guys at XDA and haven't heard of any widespread defects, and they are actively working on finding a solution to carrier, VoLTE, and Wi-Fi calling work arounds. Their devices seem ok when it comes to longevity.

As for updates, I know they generally don't get much, and I'm fine with that. I prefer to use a phone with the software it came with for the most part anyway. I've had bad luck with OS updates in the past (both with glitches and feature changes).

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I am going to Best Buy to buy a v40 as they have a great deal $15.89 a month for 30 months. this is for AT&T only and no traded necessary.

So I'm coming from a v20 that has 12000 contacts but it should only have four thousand because things have been duplicated from Gmail to the phone. I really don't need them on both especially if that is what is tying up the processor. so I'm looking for the best way to go about the next step. I have that program LG something where it copies everything off the v20 and I assume it can put it onto the v40 but I don't want to put on all those phone numbers on the new phone. What is the best way to go about this.

DLCPA

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I am going to Best Buy to buy a v40 as they have a great deal $15.89 a month for 30 months. this is for AT&T only and no traded necessary.

So I'm coming from a v20 that has 12000 contacts but it should only have four thousand because things have been duplicated from Gmail to the phone. I really don't need them on both especially if that is what is tying up the processor. so I'm looking for the best way to go about the next step. I have that program LG something where it copies everything off the v20 and I assume it can put it onto the v40 but I don't want to put on all those phone numbers on the new phone. What is the best way to go about this.

DLCPA
Export your contacts to your Google account. Do not save your contacts anywhere else.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Best Buy sent me the contract and it says $31.67 instead of $15.83.. this may be a no go unless they fix this.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy sent me the contract and it says $31.67 instead of $15.83.. this may be a no go unless they fix this.
Check to see if the contract issues plan credits to offset the price. I've never bought a phone from BB, but that's how carriers do it. You'll see the full $31.67 charge, but then a credit of $15.84 below it.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
on the phone with Best Buy now under the contract says nothing about 15.86 only $31.67 and the guy from Best Buy said to me it takes a computer a few months to get working and then you'll get credits to bring you back down to $15.86. But like I told him, I have a contract for 30 months it has nothing about the lower number or any credits.

I called AT&T and told the guy I was taping the conversation and he basically affirmed with the guy from Best Buy said it takes a few months to kick in and they in fact have the same program so they are pushing the v40 at $15.86 a month also and he said they're on backorder so I'm probably better off sticking with Best Buy. I'm glad because I would much rather pay under $500 for phone and get a new one that's going to cost me between $1,300 and $1,700. vacuum AT&T said well it's really a computer is purchased a phone and yeah that's true but I rather take that extra $1,300 I put that into a great laptop it just get a marginally better phone. I am not into games other than playing Xbox One sports games with my nephews in NY and I haven't done that yet because I haven't practiced enough. For me, the most important feature is good speakers because I listen to lots of audiobooks and music.

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
do you ever find that if you type something on here and then you put the phone down, whatever you written disappears? this is on the Galaxy Note 4. on the LG v20 I can't even reply to a forum post I can only initiate one. Isn't that weird that these things are happening on an Android site.

I saw the v40 the other day and I liked it. I'm not crazy in love with it but for the price $15.87 for 30 months, how far along can I go the only problem is I have to live with it for 30 months.

So the speaker on the v40 is not as loud as a speaker on the v20 or the iPhone 11 or Galaxy Note 10 or even the LG G8. However it is very close.

I forgot to check out the camera so I'm going back again to a different AT&T store and I'll check the speakers again. the v40 comes tomorrow so I rather not pay a restocking fee if I'm not sure I'll just bring it back to Best Buy. I just don't think I have a hell of a lot to lose and if in fact something happens to my screen and it can't be read then my problems may increase exponentially. So if I do return the phone which I don't think I'm going to do, I will have to fix the screen following one of the YouTubes it seemed pretty good. I also looked at it YouTube on how to change the battery on the v40 and it is a pain in the butt and I'm not sure that's something I'd want to try. right now to me the most important thing believe it or not is the speaker because I use that all the time as I listen to books every night when I go to sleep, often when I watch sporting events with the sound off on the TV, music videos are fun. it's probably time I buy a Bluetooth speaker.

I don't know what's with this site but if you notice none of the first letters following a period are capitalized automatically.

At $15.87 a month I don't think it pays to take out insurance which will cost something very close to that amount with all those Telephone Company taxes added in.

Chromium 4

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I found the V40 the perfect successor to the V20. My 4 year old V20 still works as well as the day it was unboxed and when I got the upgrade fever, I went with the Note 9. But when the V40 came out with that killer camera/video/audio set up, I had to have it. I found a good price on a new device on Offer Up near the beginning of this year and could not be any happier. To me the V40 is like the V20 on steroids. It was the phone that brought me back to LG.

Last edited:

dlcpa

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I needed a new battery for my v20 because 1 swelled and prevented the case from closing and another battery started quick dying at 35% and now it quick dies at about 55%. This is all in 2 years. I have one left and so far so good. With the Note 4, I had about six batteries and some paranoid. When I got a V10 battery lasted about an hour or two until I discovered that the server addresses were incorrect for Microsoft Exchange. That phone could have heated a house it got so hot. Also, leaving location finding on also kills the battery and I've discovered that the brightness of the screen also has a big effect find how fast the battery goes down. However I'm not 30 anymore and I could use it brighter than most people. But I'm moderating it.

I use my phone a lot between Facebook, Twitter, listening to audiobooks, music, watching a second sports event, lots of business emails and texts and dating apps like match.com. So, I wonder what is going to happen to the v40 battery, which is about the size of a v20 battery and probably not that much different, as it gets used and never swapped out. If, changing the battery was easy, like changing the screen and digitizer of the v20, I would love the v40 more. My experiences with batteries, all brands, have been dreadful, especially with swelling and quick dying.

I do think the v40 is a great phone, especially if it does 5G, so I will have to figure out the battery issue. I saw there was a clip-on back that you could add to the v40 to give you a lot more battery life but I wonder if it also takes the pressure off the main battery inside the phone.