I had 2 apps that didnt play well with IPv6 so right off the bat (year ago when i got my V40 new from TMO) I created a new APN that is identical to the stock but its set for IPv4.
    I decided to test them and now IPv6 works so im back to the stock APN. However i am also getting worse battery life. I could go the entire day on a single charge. However, at work , 5pm, Monday and Tuesday i was in the upper teens battery percentage wise. With the IPv4 APN i would normally be 30-40%. This is not normal and the ONLY change made was Monday morning i went back to the stock APN.

Anybody else notice this or can test this and see if you get similar results.
    01-02-2020 10:45 AM
    year ago ...

However, at work , 5pm, Monday and Tuesday i was in the upper teens battery percentage wise.
    A year of letting the battery drop into the lower teens, alone, would shorten battery life. 50% is the best recharge point. 45% won't hurt too much. By 40%, if you can't charge it, turn it off.

It could be coincidence, it could be something with your usage, but using IPv6 is just a change in the data (in a few of the packets), so it wouldn't affect the battery.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-03-2020 04:45 PM
    What good is having a battery that you need to shut off at 40%?? Please post a link that has documentation for this. Li Ion batteries are made with a certain amount of charge cycles. Thats from 0 to 100 percent is 1 cycle. If you charge your battery twice at 50 percent its still 1 cycle. Extreme low voltage and extreme heat are very very bad for these batteries. But letting it drain to the teens from what i have read over the years is not one of them and i have never seen anything that said to power off your device and stop using it at 40 percent.
    Plus i am thinking you misunderstood what i wrote. I said for 2 days it was down to the teens. Those 2 days i tested IPv6. The rest of the time its 30-40% at the end of the day using IPv4 APN.
    The point of the post was to see if anybody else had significant higher battery drain by simply using a different APN. Specifically going from IPv4 to IPv6 (that was the only change made).
    01-03-2020 05:38 PM
    IPv6 can use more battery than IPv4 depending on what you are doing on the network and tbe differential percentage varies accordingly with what you are doing.
    01-03-2020 05:49 PM
    Please post a link that has documentation for this. Li Ion batteries are made with a certain amount of charge cycles.
    We often cite BatteryUniversity.com -- specifically this page: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries ("Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, the depth of discharge (DoD) determines the cycle count of the battery. The smaller the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last."). But I agree that this doesn't necessarily have direct relevance to your question. (And FWIW, I always look at the 40% recommendation as a guideline, not a hard & fast rule -- I try not to let my devices drop below that level on any regular basis if I can help it.)

Here's an interesting article about IPv6 vs IPv4 power usage: https://pocketnow.com/ipv6-power-consumption. There's probably more recent research -- I just haven't spent enough time looking for it.
    01-03-2020 08:11 PM
    Thank You B Diddy
    I appreciate your information.

For a follow up, I power cycled my phone Thursday and so far, those two initial days, Monday and Tuesday seem to have been the oddity. Thursday and Friday seemed to follow normal battery consumption while still on IPv6.

Hopefully its a rogue app or something glitched since i had switched APN and doing a power cycle fixed it.

Sadly i may be ditching my LG V40 for a Samung S9 plus. The single bottom speaker is something i dont like with the V40 and the aggressive nature of the screen always being turned down to 0% when in low lighting is a pain. Unfortunately on a daily basis i have to enable and disable automatic screen brightness as it turns it down way to much.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-06-2020 03:11 PM