LG V60 a breath of fresh air

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
So I've been using the V60 now for about 2 weeks. I've been using iOS due to my fiance and family using it but I got tired of it and traded a friend my iPhone for the V60.

Now I am an Original android user from the G1 I have also had so many devices from the note series 2,4,7. HTC devices Motorola and LG devices. I've had the G2 G4 and V30.

But now coming to the V60 this is such a power house. I am happy to jump back on android and use my phone the way I want it. I hope LG keeps this pace! LG gives such a great bang for the buck. I am working on figuring what apps I like. But using this phone all day everyday is a true content beast!

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
So I've been using the V60 now for about 2 weeks. I've been using iOS due to my fiance and family using it but I got tired of it and traded a friend my iPhone for the V60.

Now I am an Original android user from the G1 I have also had so many devices from the note series 2,4,7. HTC devices Motorola and LG devices. I've had the G2 G4 and V30.

But now coming to the V60 this is such a power house. I am happy to jump back on android and use my phone the way I want it. I hope LG keeps this pace! LG gives such a great bang for the buck. I am working on figuring what apps I like. But using this phone all day everyday is a true content beast!
Lambertoid, still enjoying your V60?

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Me too, thanks for letting me know how you like it, Battery life has been phenomenal. I am retired so able to stay on mine a good bit. I am even using an old Samsung Dex dock I had that works great with hooking it up to my large monitor. Probably not up to the standards of Dex but I have it working pretty good. I use the dual screen a lot as well. Only thing I miss is there are not very many accessories for it. (That may be a good thing because I always spent too much money on cases for my Note phones)
I sure am, the phone is great not 1 issue. I use my phone all day and can't complain at all

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would like to get some general opinions. I only post every so often but have been a phone geek many years, etc and made the permanent switch to Android 6 years ago. I currently have a Note 8 which I love and would like to get another 1 even 2 years more out of it if I could. It functions fine with one pretty crucial exception- it has the apparent known GPS problem in the last few months. (had the same thing happen with another Note). Makes me wonder if there is indeed something to it being intentional forcing an upgrade. That displeases me of course to think that. Samsung is totally useless telling me to bring it in when it's not a unique to me problem but is being seen across the board, possibly the result of a software update, etc. In any event, they won't acknowledge it and long story short, I can't sit around and wait for the moon to turn blue- I doubt they have any intention of addressing it. Meantime- I drive an hour to work each day on busy highways and often need to re-route when there is an accident etc and the lack of reliable GPS is really jamming me up now- like I cannot reset my location or re do my maps in the middle of driving. Much as I like Samsung Notes etc, if they want me to upgrade, well I guess I have to in order to have functional GPS, but I'm not about to give Samsung my money for that lack of commitment to long term customers and users of their products. ( have had 2 prior Samsung phone and have a smart watch too). Furthermore, the base model of the new Note20 is still $1000 with no SD slot etc. Doing my research, the LG V60 Thin Q could fit the bill. I would like to get some feedback and whether this is worth my consideration or am I just setting myself up to be unhappy? I love my Note 8, the stylus, the camera, etc the app edge function . I use Google Pay not Samsung Pay. I have heard LG is not too quick on software updates so that concerns me. But so does an almost $1,000 phone being crippled in just 3 years. Thanks for any feedback- looking for all opinions.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I was in a similar boat about 4 years ago. I owned a Samsung S7 Edge and after an update the thing was crippled and super slow. Other users on the forums noted the same thing and I felt Samsung deliveratley did this to force users to upgrade to new phones. The S8 and other devices were already being sold. At the time i was an HTC / Samsung user and never owned an LG. The One Plus 7T and LG V40 were phones i was looking at. TMO had a sale and i got a V40. I loved it (still have it as back up). You are correct that software updates for Android and some security patches do come slower but overall I was happy with the phone, especially after updates.
In fact i would still be using it, BUT TMO ran a buy one get one free offer on the V60 combine that with the 5G capabilities i decided to get one. I am extremely happy i made the decision to get the V60. Im liking the dual speakers (something the V40 did not have) its got a great camera, great screen, excellent battery life and if i had any issues its the fingerprint sensor sometimes doesnt like my finger prints. LOL But im also used to entering pin so its not a huge issue for me.
Samsung lost me as a long time customer, S4, S6, Note 5, S7 edge. Their crippling software update turned me off to their devices. The proof is also there as 6 months after i switched to the V40 a software update hit my S7 Edge which i kept as a back up and after that update the phone was back to being great again. Sorry this got long winded but with this being my 2nd LG V series phone i believe they have a great product.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey I really appreciate the feedback! It wasn't too long- it gave the kind of info I can use! Thanks! I had the S7 Edge in between the Note 7 and Note 8. Traded it in as I had barely made a year of payments on it but did enjoy it- though HA- no surprise that it had a convenient crippling too. I have only experienced this with 2 Samsung phones. The Note 3 just outright stopped locking a GPS signal. And now with the Note 8, the GPS signal started to get intermittently unreliable in the spring, a few months ago but now it is hit or miss. I put Google Maps on today leaving my work in an urban major city mind you not some remote area, and my phone kept saying searching for GPS just in the parking lot which is not obstructed. By voice command on the way home asking Google what's my location- it would give me miles off, towns several miles ago in the previous county altogether as I drive through 3 counties to get home to my own. Two weeks ago when I was 3 miles from home it told me I was at my actual home address and Google Assistant then said "Duh". LOL I know Google Assistant was just reporting what the GPS said but I was like UHM, excuse, DUH yourself LOL.
But today's even more appalling lack of a consistent lock- I was like I'm done. Traffic is getting too unpredictable again for this kind of thing. I have had the phone just a little over 3 years but in actuality, I have NOT even gotten THREE good years out of it as the GPS problem started at more like 2 1/2 years, not 3. That's really poor. As for fingerprint sensor, well, LOL, Google has never let me use it to unlock my phone regularly. I have to use a pin or draw a pattern. It does not even do face recognition every time -forces me to use alternate methods, so I am used to just regular unlock and not fingerprint. I even have that turned off since it was so unreliable. And I excused that too as more Google not Samsung; the GPS is not an excusable issue however. And my Galaxy watch should do fine with the V60; I can buy a stylus and keep it in my wallet (have a capacitive one there ever since the S7 Edge anyway-was given as a consolation price for the Note 7 debacle) . I can live with a Wacom Bamboo or whatever for the amount of notes I take, which is every few weeks or so and since the V60 has stylus support, what the heck. Frankly too LOL, a stylus is probably better separate. I have had to replace my Note 8 one twice already- they popped out and were nowhere to ever be found! No idea the first time when it even happened- noticed it the next time I had my phone out which was a couple or more hour time lapse. There was no jostling or anything- I have no idea what happened. So I was actually considering NOT getting a Note for my next phone anyway and maybe the S series but I heard that the S8 has similar issues so I don't want to go through that again- for the time being, I am done with Samsung and certainly not spending $1100 and upward for 2 1/2 years use of a phone. If same happens with the V60, at least it's a couple hundred less while meeting the same needs for me. I pulled the plug and it's already due to arrive tomorrow and I also have a case coming for it tomorrow too LOL. If it keeps a GPS lock, I will be happy and it has the expandable storage and LOL headphone jack too that are things I still use.
Thanks again!!!

Last edited:

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I would definitely recommend the V60, I had the LG G2 ,G4 and the V30. All were great phone's I'm a fan of pixels but LG took Samsung's place a long time ago for me so it's always between LG or pixel for the most part. I've had a tone of devices but the V60 is a great device.
Hey I really appreciate the feedback! It wasn't too long- it gave the kind of info I can use! Thanks! I had the S7 Edge in between the Note 7 and Note 8. Traded it in as I had barely made a year of payments on it but did enjoy it- though HA- no surprise that it had a convenient crippling too. I have only experienced this with 2 Samsung phones. The Note 3 just outright stopped locking a GPS signal. And now with the Note 8, the GPS signal started to get intermittently unreliable in the spring, a few months ago but now it is hit or miss. I put Google Maps on today leaving my work in an urban major city mind you not some remote area, and my phone kept saying searching for GPS just in the parking lot which is not obstructed. By voice command on the way home asking Google what's my location- it would give me miles off, towns several miles ago in the previous county altogether as I drive through 3 counties to get home to my own. Two weeks ago when I was 3 miles from home it told me I was at my actual home address and Google Assistant then said "Duh". LOL I know Google Assistant was just reporting what the GPS said but I was like UHM, excuse, DUH yourself LOL.
But today's even more appalling lack of a consistent lock- I was like I'm done. Traffic is getting too unpredictable again for this kind of thing. I have had the phone just a little over 3 years but in actuality, I have NOT even gotten THREE good years out of it as the GPS problem started at more like 2 1/2 years, not 3. That's really poor. As for fingerprint sensor, well, LOL, Google has never let me use it to unlock my phone regularly. I have to use a pin or draw a pattern. It does not even do face recognition every time -forces me to use alternate methods, so I am used to just regular unlock and not fingerprint. I even have that turned off since it was so unreliable. And I excused that too as more Google not Samsung; the GPS is not an excusable issue however. And my Galaxy watch should do fine with the V60; I can buy a stylus and keep it in my wallet (have a capacitive one there ever since the S7 Edge anyway-was given as a consolation price for the Note 7 debacle) . I can live with a Wacom Bamboo or whatever for the amount of notes I take, which is every few weeks or so and since the V60 has stylus support, what the heck. Frankly too LOL, a stylus is probably better separate. I have had to replace my Note 8 one twice already- they popped out and were nowhere to ever be found! No idea the first time when it even happened- noticed it the next time I had my phone out which was a couple or more hour time lapse. There was no jostling or anything- I have no idea what happened. So I was actually considering NOT getting a Note for my next phone anyway and maybe the S series but I heard that the S8 has similar issues so I don't want to go through that again- for the time being, I am done with Samsung and certainly not spending $1100 and upward for 2 1/2 years use of a phone. If same happens with the V60, at least it's a couple hundred less while meeting the same needs for me. I pulled the plug and it's already due to arrive tomorrow and I also have a case coming for it tomorrow too LOL. If it keeps a GPS lock, I will be happy and it has the expandable storage and LOL headphone jack too that are things I still use.
Thanks again!!!

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Awesome to hear Lamebertoid! Thanks! My new phone arrived today. It's all set up and ready to go! All my stuff transferred and lol signed back into all my apps etc. My new case arrived too with built in screen protector- . I am excited to drive to work on Monday with a functioning Google Maps again!! :D. The phone has plenty internal storage for me (I had 64mb on my Note 8 lol and made it work so this is double) and it takes an SD card too for expansion which I wanted (moved mine over too from the Note 8); I am someone who still likes having a headphone jack so I am pleased with that- I use my wired earbuds all the time. I think I am going to be quite happy with this phone. Ha- I have a Galaxy Watch Active so Samsung currently still has me there but I downloaded the necessary plug ins and it is linked up and working fine and all my health data transferred over too as if it were still paired with the Note 8; working the exact same with my new phone. All in all, I am glad I decided to give LG a whirl.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I had the V60 briefly and it was a nice phone. I wish the colour options for me, at AT&T, were other than the blue with the goldish trim. You might also want to consider the LG Velvet. No phone maker wants you to keep a phone more than 2-3 years amd they're not going to try to support a device long enough for you to really benefit from doing so.

Last edited:

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't mind the color of the phone- have it in a case, but agree- if you like color options, LOL you're out of luck with AT&T (which I'm on too).
I did look at the Velvet and it was a strong contender.
In any event, definitely I get that the manufacturers don't want to invest in supporting devices endlessly- of course there has to be some cut off. I just think 3 to 4 years is reasonable for devices that they're now charging $1100 and higher for - if even just for the absolute basics of holding a consistent signal. But you are so right-they definitely don't want to!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I have heard great things about the V60. Glad you are enjoying it so much. The last LG phone I have owned was a Chocolate. Remember that. Was about 2007. LOL

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
LOL- I have owned so many phones in my day. Never an LG. I totally remember the Chocolate. I have had so many phones since before they were smart phones, then had all the Treos, a few Windows Mobile /pocket PC and so on, then iPhone to Samsung models , now the LG . Figuring out some of the slight differences. Plus it's Android 10.
I couldn't get the AOD to engage all the time despite being set for that but fixed that- since I cannot locate LED notifications that I am used to I figured that would be fine. (lol I assume there is no LED) - but it's all part of the tweaking and figuring out. I'll figure out all my workarounds. It's a really nice phone and already I can see the battery life is awesome. I also couldn't answer a call out of the lock screen - it would not even display and wouldn't let me answer. Obviously I have settings to tweak and figure out LOL. I haven't had to fuss for 3 years but I'll figure the quirks out.

Last edited:

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
LOL- I have owned so many phones in my day. Never an LG. I totally remember the Chocolate. I have had so many phones since before they were smart phones, then had all the Treos, a few Windows Mobile /pocket PC and so on, then iPhone to Samsung models , now the LG . Figuring out some of the slight differences. Plus it's Android 10.
I can't get the AOD to engage all the time despite being set for that- since I cannot locate LED notifications that I am used to I figured that would be fine. (lol I assume there is no LED) - but it's all part of the tweaking and figuring out. I'll figure out all my workarounds. It's a really nice phone and already I can see the battery life is awesome. I also couldn't answer a call out of the lock screen - it would not even display and wouldn't let me answer. Obviously I have settings to tweak and figure out LOL. I haven't had to fuss for 3 years but I'll figure the quirks out.
Convert, welcome, and hope you enjoy the phone. I love mine. Had it about a month and everything is working perfectly. I had Note 2,3,4,7,8,9,10+ and moved to the V60 because Samsung was getting out of my price range but also what has worked out really great for me was the V60 being compatible with active stylus. I am using the Wacom bamboo ink stylus and love this so much better than the spen. I stayed with the Note series for so long due to the spen and loved it but never could really multi task with it like I wanted. I got the dual case option with the V60. I read and study on one screen and write my notes on the second screen. I use it in landscape mode and really works out perfect for me. Never really could do that with the Note series on split screen. Also the DAC on the V60 made a pair of Shure headphones I had come alive. I hadn't used them in a while because with the Note phones they sounded good but not much different than the regular earbuds Samsung always included. But the DAC was impressive with my Shure earbuds. The only thing I do miss is there are not many accessories for the V60, not that I needed them. Also not as much action on the forums but that may be because the phone works so well or just not as many people buying the V60. Anyway, again hope you enjoy it. Keep us posted.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
For those that have the V60, did you find a tempered glass screen protector that didn't have a halo effect? I imagine WhiteStone Dome doesn't but given that the screen is what they call "flat" I wonder if there are others.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Convert, welcome, and hope you enjoy the phone. I love mine. Had it about a month and everything is working perfectly. I had Note 2,3,4,7,8,9,10+ and moved to the V60 because Samsung was getting out of my price range but also what has worked out really great for me was the V60 being compatible with active stylus. I am using the Wacom bamboo ink stylus and love this so much better than the spen. I stayed with the Note series for so long due to the spen and loved it but never could really multi task with it like I wanted. I got the dual case option with the V60. I read and study on one screen and write my notes on the second screen. I use it in landscape mode and really works out perfect for me. Never really could do that with the Note series on split screen. Also the DAC on the V60 made a pair of Shure headphones I had come alive. I hadn't used them in a while because with the Note phones they sounded good but not much different than the regular earbuds Samsung always included. But the DAC was impressive with my Shure earbuds. The only thing I do miss is there are not many accessories for the V60, not that I needed them. Also not as much action on the forums but that may be because the phone works so well or just not as many people buying the V60. Anyway, again hope you enjoy it. Keep us posted.

Thanks rsmin! Pretty much most of what you said applies! The Samsungs to me yeah nice phones but just the price is getting so high for something that loses basic functionality like a GPS signal in less than 3 years. Yes, I was happy to see I could still have a stylus function for the once a month or so I use it. The here and there times I have, it's come in handy so when I saw I still had an active stylus use, great.
I have my screen set up on a lock like most people with a pattern and fingerprint and the fingerprint actually works fine so far. I have AOD set for always on, though it seems to not be quite always on but mostly works. However, I just got a text message during this post and it did not show up on my AOD - my screen is blank right now altogether so I am not sure why the AOD is not fully working and I had to push the power button to turn the phone on. Any ideas of what settings I am missing? Also when someone calls me- the caller ID does NOT display, forcing me to answer calls by the volume key. I have a smartwatch so it identifies the caller and I can tell the watch to answer the phone as a last ditch workaround but I really want to be able to answer on the phone itself. It worked once today but that was it and I received several calls today most did not display on my phone when the phone was on but locked. Do you have any issues like this? Edit on 9/21** As best as I can tell, I have all the settings to on that I believe are supposed to be . My AOD now seems to be working and my caller ID on incoming calls seems fine now. Hopefully stays that way. I am overall pleased- and the battery life again, love it-- seems like it will be a great phone for me!

Last edited:

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks rsmin! Pretty much most of what you said applies! The Samsungs to me yeah nice phones but just the price is getting so high for something that loses basic functionality like a GPS signal in less than 3 years. Yes, I was happy to see I could still have a stylus function for the once a month or so I use it. The here and there times I have, it's come in handy so when I saw I still had an active stylus use, great.
I have my screen set up on a lock like most people with a pattern and fingerprint and the fingerprint actually works fine so far. I have AOD set for always on, though it seems to not be quite always on but mostly works. However, I just got a text message during this post and it did not show up on my AOD - my screen is blank right now altogether so I am not sure why the AOD is not fully working and I had to push the power button to turn the phone on. Any ideas of what settings I am missing? Also when someone calls me- the caller ID does NOT display, forcing me to answer calls by the volume key. I have a smartwatch so it identifies the caller and I can tell the watch to answer the phone as a last ditch workaround but I really want to be able to answer on the phone itself. It worked once today but that was it and I received several calls today most did not display on my phone when the phone was on but locked. Do you have any issues like this? Edit on 9/21** As best as I can tell, I have all the settings to on that I believe are supposed to be . My AOD now seems to be working and my caller ID on incoming calls seems fine now. Hopefully stays that way. I am overall pleased- and the battery life again, love it-- seems like it will be a great phone for me!
convert: Glad you figured the AOD out. I don't use it much being that I have the dual case option and keep it closed most of the time. Fingerprint scanner working so much better on the V60 than it did on my Note 10+. Pretty much used the pattern most of the time before I gave that phone to my wife. She doesn't use the fingerprint on it so that doesn't bother her. Glad you are enjoying the phone.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
rsmin- the dumbest thing was the culprit and I should have known. It was the built-in screen protector on my case. Tested the theory out when I got home and confirmed replication of it. So my obvious conclusion is that the built in screen protector of the case I bought was blocking the proximity sensor. So, I removed it and just have the phone in the case, and problem solved. I just am going to see how I feel about the "naked" screen. It is protected in my purse if I am out and it sits on a table or desk when I am at work or home or at work in a deep pocket by itself or sharing the pocket with a cloth face mask briefly. I have always used a screen protector on my long lineage of phones; Zagg Invisashield, traditional separate little sheet type ones; Otterbox Defenders with built in, a cheaper otterbox knockoff for my Note, etc. So for the time being; just a case alone, and being careful, not that I wasn't careful with any of my other phones! I'll have to see if there are other cases with built in screen protectors that don't block the sensor unless I want to fuss with trying to put an independent one on and hope it is cut just so-- not sure it's worth the effort. So for now, I'll just roll along and I can always research a little more for the heck of it. A lot of people don't use screen protectors and see no issue- no doubt just as many think it's a non-negotiable. I'll just have to go without and see things proceed but I am sure happy to have a functioning phone! I agree too- the fingerprint scanner works really quite well. With my Note 8, it was so hit or miss. I happen to really like being able to use it. But in any event, this is a sweet phone- very elegant and I love the size and well, as I have said before, I think I will be most happy with it. I'm glad I decided to get it.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
rsmin- the dumbest thing was the culprit and I should have known. It was the built-in screen protector on my case. Tested the theory out when I got home and confirmed replication of it. So my obvious conclusion is that the built in screen protector of the case I bought was blocking the proximity sensor. So, I removed it and just have the phone in the case, and problem solved. I just am going to see how I feel about the "naked" screen. It is protected in my purse if I am out and it sits on a table or desk when I am at work or home or at work in a deep pocket by itself or sharing the pocket with a cloth face mask briefly. I have always used a screen protector on my long lineage of phones; Zagg Invisashield, traditional separate little sheet type ones; Otterbox Defenders with built in, a cheaper otterbox knockoff for my Note, etc. So for the time being; just a case alone, and being careful, not that I wasn't careful with any of my other phones! I'll have to see if there are other cases with built in screen protectors that don't block the sensor unless I want to fuss with trying to put an independent one on and hope it is cut just so-- not sure it's worth the effort. So for now, I'll just roll along and I can always research a little more for the heck of it. A lot of people don't use screen protectors and see no issue- no doubt just as many think it's a non-negotiable. I'll just have to go without and see things proceed but I am sure happy to have a functioning phone! I agree too- the fingerprint scanner works really quite well. With my Note 8, it was so hit or miss. I happen to really like being able to use it. But in any event, this is a sweet phone- very elegant and I love the size and well, as I have said before, I think I will be most happy with it. I'm glad I decided to get it.

I had this problem as well. You can still use a screen protector you just have install it like a tiny bit lower on the screen. At least that's what worked for me