Worthwhile upgrade?

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Hello all. I am considering upgrading to the V60 from the Note 9. I have had LG devices in the past and I enjoy them a lot. The note has been a good phone, but I'm a little bit over it. Especially the curved screen.

How good is this device? I could get it for 500 right now with trading in my note 9. Or 550 with the dual screen, but I dont know if I would really need that.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's a good phone, but coming from the N9 would be more of a lateral move these days because LG has started making cookie cutter phones like everyone else and there isn't much that really stands out for them. Then again, I'm more jaded than most because I came from the V20 and lost a lot of desirable features.

On the plus side, battery life is great, screen looks good, camera is still one of the best, and you can use a Wacom active stylus that gives you a lot of the same abilities as the Note phones.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I dont care about the functions of the Note personally. I only got it to begin with because it was a good deal. I never use the s pen. Does the V60 have a curved screen? I would also definitely love a 5000 mah battery

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Does the V60 have a curved screen?

The edges are slightly chamfered but not enough to affect anything. With a case on, I don't even notice it. Then again, I barely noticed it without a case.

The only complaint I have about the screen is the lack of bezels, especially on the bottom. The keyboard now sits lower and is somewhat uncomfortable to use, to the point I'm often swiping one row higher than I should (I.e. I'll type the letter "Q" when trying to type "A") even after using the phone about 6 months. The notch is also annoying but I use the Nacho Notch app for that.

willanaya

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
The edges are slightly chamfered but not enough to affect anything. With a case on, I don't even notice it. Then again, I barely noticed it without a case.

The only complaint I have about the screen is the lack of bezels, especially on the bottom. The keyboard now sits lower and is somewhat uncomfortable to use, to the point I'm often swiping one row higher than I should (I.e. I'll type the letter "Q" when trying to type "A") even after using the phone about 6 months. The notch is also annoying but I use the Nacho Notch app for that.

the typing is a little problematic. i often have to correct a lot of my texts because i hit a key above or below, something that rarely happened on any not phone, but you could always turn it into landscape mode and get a bigger keyboard.

My thoughts on the phone:

1. Dual screen is a gimmick. i rarely use it possibly because if i landscape it to use YouTube, the video bleeds onto the lower screen. I would have preferred video on dual and the ability to browse comment on the lower. If anything, it provides protection to my main screen as i have it in my pocket.

2. DAC is amazing. Never have I ever had a phone with such a music listening experience. I plug my aux cable in when i drive and the music is powerful. No iPod or any Samsung Note phone that I have owned have made music more enjoyable. DAC DAC DAC, amazing.

3. Camera isn't all that great but usable. I am not a selfie person so it makes no different to me. Samsung was definitely better.

4. Battery life is exceptional, esp without the dual screen attached.

5. UI is okay. Coming from 8 years of Samsung, it takes time to learn its different gestures.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I would scoop one up in mint condition for under $500... And you will still have your N9 to decide later on... If you don't mind paying upfront that is..

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm currently using the V60, and I really love it. Before this, I was using the Huawei Mate 20 X, so the large size of the device wasn't really an issue.
It has a really good display, battery life is excellent, and the camera is just below pixel levels. I actually use the dual display pretty regularly. It's definitely somewhat gimmicky, but pretty useful at times. It's not a necessity at all though. My only concern is updates. LG has been pretty good with security updates though. If you can get one at a price you're comfortable with, I'd say get it. I also have the Velvet and really like that phone as well. Struggling to decide which one to keep.

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
It's a good phone, but coming from the N9 would be more of a lateral move these days because LG has started making cookie cutter phones like everyone else and there isn't much that really stands out for them. Then again, I'm more jaded than most because I came from the V20 and lost a lot of desirable features.

On the plus side, battery life is great, screen looks good, camera is still one of the best, and you can use a Wacom active stylus that gives you a lot of the same abilities as the Note phones.

Lateral move? How do you figure? It's definitely an upgrade in every way from the Note 9 and especially from a V40.

To the OP...as someone who has owned this phone for 7 months now I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with it. Performance is top notch, the dual screen is useful though I wouldn't recommend having it on if you're going to be away from a charger for an extended amount of time (more than 10 hours) as it decreases battery life by 25-40%. For example, with it off I get at least 8 hours of screen on time with 5G enabled but with it on, it shortens to just 5. The headphone jack is also the best sound I've heard of any phone I've had and this is coming from someone who used to own HTC phones. Plus, if you get a stylus you'll still have the note style functionality which is a hidden gem. The camera beats the iPhone 11 (possibly the 12) and is neck and neck with the Pixel in terms of image quality. Sound quality it's the best overall.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
the typing is a little problematic. i often have to correct a lot of my texts because i hit a key above or below, something that rarely happened on any not phone, but you could always turn it into landscape mode and get a bigger keyboard.

My thoughts on the phone:

1. Dual screen is a gimmick. i rarely use it possibly because if i landscape it to use YouTube, the video bleeds onto the lower screen. I would have preferred video on dual and the ability to browse comment on the lower. If anything, it provides protection to my main screen as i have it in my pocket.

2. DAC is amazing. Never have I ever had a phone with such a music listening experience. I plug my aux cable in when i drive and the music is powerful. No iPod or any Samsung Note phone that I have owned have made music more enjoyable. DAC DAC DAC, amazing.

3. Camera isn't all that great but usable. I am not a selfie person so it makes no different to me. Samsung was definitely better.

4. Battery life is exceptional, esp without the dual screen attached.

5. UI is okay. Coming from 8 years of Samsung, it takes time to learn its different gestures.

I rarely use the dual screen as well, although your YouTube problem would be solved by not using it in "widemode" wouldn't it?

Screen- It's very nice, I disagree about the bezels they are just right for me(purely subjective) most current flagships have even smaller bezels than the V60 and that would drive me nuts

Battery life- without the dual screen battery life is fairly astonishing

If you don't use the Note features, the V60 is an upgrade in virtually every conceivable way IMO

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Lateral move? How do you figure? It's definitely an upgrade in every way from the Note 9...

Both are AMOLED HDR10 screens
Both have an annoying notch/hole punch
Both have SD card slots
Both have a headphone jack
Processors aren't much different
Similar storage and memory
Both have great cameras depending on your use
Both are sealed batteries
Both have glass bodies
Both have stereo speakers
Both run great

The actual differences are few.

The V60 has the better headphone jack, larger battery, and better manual camera, but the Note 9 has the s-pen that is better functioning (and included), a larger storage option, and wide spread third party support.

If I were given the option between the two, I'd take a V-series phone over Samsung any day. If I already had a Note 9 like the OP and was happy with it, there just isn't much there that makes the V60 stand out unless there was an actual problem with the current phone.

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Both have SD card slots
Both have glass bodies
Both run great

The V60 has the better headphone jack, larger battery, and better manual camera, but the Note 9 has the s-pen that is better functioning (and included), a larger storage option, and wide spread third party support.

If I were given the option between the two, I'd take a V-series phone over Samsung any day. If I already had a Note 9 like the OP and was happy with it, there just isn't much there that makes the V60 stand out unless there was an actual problem with the current phone.

Note 9 doesn't support 5G nor 600mhz... The V60 does. You've been irrationally critical about the V60 the whole entire time.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Note 9 doesn't support 5G nor 600mhz... The V60 does. You've been irrationally critical about the V60 the whole entire time.

I own the V60 and the only difference I'm seeing between 4G LTE and 5G is the icon in the upper right corner of my screen. Performance is virtually the same. While mine is capable of using mm wave 5G, coverage is almost non-existent, and there's no functional difference when you consider 4G is already plenty fast. There's been several times I've recommended against members upgrading if their primary reason is to get 5G.

Call it irrational if you want, but I look at real world uses, not whatever has the best specs on paper.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Your personal attack aside, I travel for a living, including to Chicago often. My experience is no different, 5G is not functionally better. The only way I even know I'm getting higher speeds is when I do a speed test. Other than that, websites still load the same, and any streaming (including video) performs no better. So what have I gained? Please learn the difference between technicalities and functionality when it comes to comparing real world usage. Also learn not to jump to conclusions because they come back to bite you.

When it comes to sound recording, the V60 is actually a step down compared to the V20 I had prior, and left me rather disappointed. The microphone doesn't perform as well at high SPL levels, but not sure how Samsung mics perform. Playback is dependent on if someone uses wired headphones, which is admittedly not many people these days. I like the more natural colors of the V60, but others like the over saturated look on Samsung phones. That's a subjective thing and up to each person to decide for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Both have SD card slots
Both have glass bodies
Both run great

But the OP stated they were "over it"
5G speeds aside, I'm on tmobile and the sub 600 compatibility is a very big deal as it allows me to get service in areas that other phones including the Note 9 wont.

Also it's NOT the same storage and RAM. The V60 uses UFS 3.1 storage and DDR5 RAM which DOES functionally make a difference in storing and accessing large files and multitasking.

I wouldn't recommend a SATISFIED Note9 user upgrade to the V60. But. I would recommend it to someone who was "over" their Note9.

I loved my V20 as well, but it was not nearly the juggernaut you make it out be. The LCD screen was bad with tons of people suffering light bleed and muted colors. As far as burn in goes, my last 4 or 5 devices have been amoled screens and I've never once had an issue with burn in ever. The performance and smoothness wasn't even best in class the day it came out, the cameras were very good at the time but are outperformed by virtually every top phone today. And while I loved the removable battery, the reality is that it was only necessary because the battery life on that device was not good at all. Battery degradation is a concern ONLY if you are going to keep your device for several years. If you're going to upgrade every year or two then it's not even something that needs to be thought about. My OnePlus 6t is just over 2yrs old, I charged it over night on the Dash charger every night for the 2yrs that I used it, and to this day the battery will still last a whole day with little effort

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I loved my V20 as well, but it was not nearly the juggernaut you make it out be. The LCD screen was bad with tons of people suffering light bleed and muted colors.

The issue with the V20 screen is not the norm, and was a design flaw specific to that phone. IPS LCD's are great, and that is actually the preferred type of display photographers want to get in a computer monitor for their viewing angles and color accuracy. So I'll give you that one against the V20, but I still prefer that technology in general over AMOLED. The LG G4 I had prior, and the Razer Phone 2 I had for a few months before the V60, both had IPS panels and had no issues with the screen.

Btw, the post of mine that you quoted wasn't about the V20, it was about that V60. The reason I brought up the V20 was for the microphone comparison only, not even the screen.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I came from a Note 8 and am extremely happy with the V60. I am a casual stylus user and with the stylus function available on the V60, I bought a stylus that I keep at home for the random in between occasions that I sign a PDF on my phone or want to mark up a PDF with notes etc. I LOVE the size and the incredible battery life of the V60. Phone is solid and beautiful. Pictures are decent- sure the Note series have better cameras but the V60 isn't too shabby. I do not miss having a Note series at all and am very pleased, plus I am one of the few that still value an actual headphone jack. And yes the DAC is amazing for music. So if you are over the Note, I think you will be pleased.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I am still thinking about upgrading to this device. I tried out the Galaxy S20 FE recently. And though I like it as a device... I don't think it's for me. Camera is awful and so is the screen.

I still have the V60 in the back of my mind... 5000mah battery... huge screen... headphone jack... quad dac... AND a micro sd card slot. these are all wins for me. Now it would be even better if the device has a really good camera and good display that doesn't look washed out. I have to say, to this day, when watching videos on my old V30 compared to my Note 9, I would prefer the V30.

Overall, though I do like the Note, it's just kinda... meh for me. I don't know why but it's just boring to me. Nothing really excites me about it at all. It's also a bit laggy for me now too. My V30 lasted longer with no issues compared to my Note. I had the V30 for a year and a half and it was shortly before that that I really started seeing signs that it was time to upgrade to a different device. It's only been a year for my Note and I am seeing signs that the battery is getting worn out.

That being the way it was for the V30, I would love to think I would have the same kind of luck with the V60. Any one have any issues with bugs and calls? I have read a lot about that.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Any one have any issues with bugs and calls? I have read a lot about that.

On my Verizon version, the only signal issue I had was first thing in the morning moving from Wi-Fi to mobile data when leaving for work. I could make calls, but data would be absent until I switched in and out of airplane mode, even with a great signal. This also happened with my V20 and I figured it was just an LG thing for whatever reason. When I got the nationwide 5G update, that issue was surprisingly fixed even though only 4G at home.

My only issue now is the self destructive nature of the OLED screen. I'm in the power user category and already starting to see signs of burn in despite my efforts to prevent it. It also has a new-to-me feature in the last update (another TMO version owner said his had it from the start) that forces 100% screen brightness in direct sunlight with auto mode on with no way to override it unless you turn auto-brightness completely off. In the past I could simply lower the brightness and it would go back to auto mode later and not be so quick to ramp up to 100%.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What's with OLED screens and burn in?
It's the nature off the beast. Instead of a backlight, the pixels themselves generate their own light, but they fade over time. If you refrain from static images, they all fade at about the same rate. If you keep static images up often (a lot of GPS users are affected quite a bit for this reason), those pixels will fade quicker. You can mitigate this somewhat by keeping screen brightness set low, with a short time out.

In my case, I use the Nacho Notch app to hide the ugly camera notch, and normally it's not an issue. If I use an app that overrides Nacho Notch, I now have a slightly brighter strip across the top of the phone because those pixels are rarely used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair